Medium Bore Dilemma

MRBlack

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
South Africa
Good day gents,

I am contemplating a possible weak spot in my current battery. I have several rifles in the medium game class (30-06, 280 Rem, 6.5-06) and several larger bores (375 H&H, 416 Rem, 500 NE) but don’t have much in between. I have a 300 RUM but have been considering a 338 Winchester for a little more mass on target. Do I stand to gain anything from a 338, or any other medium bores for that matter? Is there any other cartridge recommendations? I currently reload everything so oddball cartridges aren’t an issue. Thanks in advance,

-MR Black

I keeping trying to talk myself into a 358 Norma Magnum. Maybe a 35 Whelen. I haven't justified it yet as I think the 375 H&H fills that void. But I think it would be fun. The 338WM could be a more practical alternative. Do you want to play with a cartridge that is a little more unique?

340 Weatherby, 338 RUM, or 338 Lapua…depending on personal tastes.

They up the juice on the fast 30’s making them excellent long range medium/large game (500-2000lb non-dangerous) cartridges. Also much flatter shooting than a 375.

I keeping trying to talk myself into a 358 Norma Magnum. Maybe a 35 Whelen. I haven't justified it yet as I think the 375 H&H fills that void. But I think it would be fun. The 338WM could be a more practical alternative. Do you want to play with a cartridge that is a little more unique?
I’ve recently become enamored with the 318 WR abut haven’t schemed a way to build one affordably yet. I’m not quite sure how well it would pair though.

There are a few odd and interesting choices.
top two for me would be
333jeffery standard load of 300gr or lighter 250gr
or 318wr with the standard 250gr load

then perhaps
8x68S

but neither of these will do more or less than the 338’s.
they’re just different and effective.

There’s not much to gain from these over the 300’s or the 375 which you have.

I’ve recently become enamored with the 318 WR abut haven’t schemed a way to build one affordably yet. I’m not quite sure how well it would pair though.
Best way is to find a donor rifle, so the action and stock is cheaper. Then replace the barrel, which isn't too bad. The biggest issue is brass. Buy up a ton when you find them. That would make for a cool project. Replace the stock with something nicer as finances and time allows.

Find a SSB action in good condition and build a .333 Jeffery on in. It’s always been a very appealing caliber to me. If you feel like having some more horsepower keep your eyes open for a .350 Rigby on a Magnum Mauser action.

Alternatively go euro and find an old Brno ZG47 or FN chambered in 8x64S

If you are drawn to the 318 WR, the 338-06 will get you there as its ballistic twin without the hassles inherent with the WR. I filled the gap you reference with a 338-06.

If you are going to use this as a serious big game rifle you also need to consider the availability of serious bullets.

Relatively easy build with a Win 70 CRF action and Krieger barrel. No regrets and I’ve never looked back. :)

Last edited:
How about the 9.3x62? Fits nicely in between what you already run. Relatively mild recoil (depending on the variables, rifle weight, load etc.) 9.3x62 may be an oddball here in North America, but shouldn't be too difficult to find factory ammo in Africa if you get stuck. There are enough reloading components being offered as well, some good bullet weights and types.
Since I have acquired one, I really enjoy shooting it. Classic calibre for a hunt in Africa.

Lots of good advice here! Keep it coming. I have thought of the 338-06, but it has no romance to it. I had not even considered the 333 Jeffery or 350 Rigby until today. 9.3x62 is certainly an option. I would like to hear more from people who have used it. I’d like something capable of 250-300 yards without any huge drop.

.338-06, .325 WSM, 8x64, 35 Whelen, 9.3x62

I have experience with the .325 and 9.3, both good cartridges. The 9.3 is very close to the .375 you already have. If you don’t mind an oddball, the 8x64 would be a very interesting choice.

.338 Win is a very capable caliber for sure. Based however on the rifles you already have, i see no reason to purchase one unless you are a rifle hoarder and simple have to have it. Based on what im looking at, you dont REALLY have a weak spot in your battery. You have the current ability to take anything on earth.

Good day gents,

I am contemplating a possible weak spot in my current battery. I have several rifles in the medium game class (30-06, 280 Rem, 6.5-06) and several larger bores (375 H&H, 416 Rem, 500 NE) but don’t have much in between. I have a 300 RUM but have been considering a 338 Winchester for a little more mass on target. Do I stand to gain anything from a 338, or any other medium bores for that matter? Is there any other cartridge recommendations? I currently reload everything so oddball cartridges aren’t an issue. Thanks in advance,

-MR Black
Good day sir, I'd recommend the 338-06 if that bore diameter is a favorite for you. Also I'd recommend the 9.3X62 as that has become my favorite medium bore cartridge. Fact is there are many options out there. That's part of the fun starting a new rifle project. Enjoy!

Good day gents,

I am contemplating a possible weak spot in my current battery. I have several rifles in the medium game class (30-06, 280 Rem, 6.5-06) and several larger bores (375 H&H, 416 Rem, 500 NE)

-MR Black
You have a .375 H & H, so you already have the perfect medium bore.

HWL

Last edited:
I think what you choose would depend more on how your 300 RUM and 375 are set up. If the 375 is set up with a low power scope and 300gr bullets, then a 338WM/9.3x62(250gr)/35 whelen may offer something. If the 300 RUM is set up for long range or alternatively shoots <200gr bullets then the medium mediums may make sense. If both the 300RUM and the 375 are set up to be dynamic with multiple different loads and conventional stocks then, I don’t see a gap in your battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.