Medium Bore Dilemma

Good day gents,

I am contemplating a possible weak spot in my current battery. I have several rifles in the medium game class (30-06, 280 Rem, 6.5-06) and several larger bores (375 H&H, 416 Rem, 500 NE) but don’t have much in between. I have a 300 RUM but have been considering a 338 Winchester for a little more mass on target. Do I stand to gain anything from a 338, or any other medium bores for that matter? Is there any other cartridge recommendations? I currently reload everything so oddball cartridges aren’t an issue. Thanks in advance,

-MR Black
That isn't a weak spot. If all you had was a 6.5-06 and a .375 H&H, that would be a weak spot. But between the .30-06 and the
375 H&H, there really isnt a gap, unless you are looking at the .338-06 or .35 whelen. As for the .338 win mag, it is essentially an 85% 375 H&H. And by that, I mean that it will do mostly all the same stuff as a .375 will.

NOW..... if you simply WANT a new rifle, I say go for it! .338 WM is an excellent rifle and hits really hard for its class. Have at it!

I have my 375 set up more for a “dangerous game” rifle as it is a Winchester pre 64 action with a 1.5-5 power Leupold. The 300 RUM is a Remington 700 LSS I pillar and glass bedded. It has a 26 inch Douglas air gauged barrel, blueprinted action, and a timney trigger. Scope on the 300 is a 3-9 Kahles.

I have a similar battery (more or less) you have except the calibers below .308 are just .223 and .22LR.

I am going to Africa this year for Buffalo and Tuskless (500 NE) and Zebra, Kudu, Sable and Lechwe (.300 RUM). I don't feel I am under gunned for any of the game.

If anything, you have too many calibers. .375 H&H is not needed, as it is a compromise caliber. You have true big bores, so it is not needed for DG and you have the .300 RUM which is good for any PG at any distance. Sell the .375 and get whatever you long to buy if that is your fancy.

Good day gents,

I am contemplating a possible weak spot in my current battery. I have several rifles in the medium game class (30-06, 280 Rem, 6.5-06) and several larger bores (375 H&H, 416 Rem, 500 NE) but don’t have much in between. I have a 300 RUM but have been considering a 338 Winchester for a little more mass on target. Do I stand to gain anything from a 338, or any other medium bores for that matter? Is there any other cartridge recommendations? I currently reload everything so oddball cartridges aren’t an issue. Thanks in advance,

-MR Black
IMO .338 is irrelevant if you have a .375. They just have no place in Africa.

Good day gents,

-MR Black
@MRBlack
There's only one to consider in my book and that's the 35 Whelen. Loaded properly it will do everything the little 338 will do but with less fuss and bother. Loaded properly it is fine out to 400 yards.
A 225gn at 2,900fps or a 250gr at 2,700fps shoots pretty flat and hits plenty hard.
Bob.

I keeping trying to talk myself into a 358 Norma Magnum. Maybe a 35 Whelen. I haven't justified it yet as I think the 375 H&H fills that void. But I think it would be fun. The 338WM could be a more practical alternative. Do you want to play with a cartridge that is a little more unique?
@Pheroze
Stop talking and start buying. You only need the Whelen. Load it up properly and have fun. If'n y'all ain't happy with it just run a reamer into it and make a 358 Norma Magnum out of it.
Git off your arse and get one and be happy.
Bob

If you are drawn to the 318 WR, the 338-06 will get you there as its ballistic twin without the hassles inherent with the WR. I filled the gap you reference with a 338-06.

If you are going to use this as a serious big game rifle you also need to consider the availability of serious bullets.

Relatively easy build with a Win 70 CRF action and Krieger barrel. No regrets and I’ve never looked back. :)
@fourfive8
As good as the 338-06 is only Woodleigh make projectiles specifically for it. Other 338 projectiles are designed for magnum velocities which in a way can be useful as standard cup and cores for the magnums will hold together better at the slower 338-06 velocities.
Bob

Lots of good advice here! Keep it coming. I have thought of the 338-06, but it has no romance to it. I had not even considered the 333 Jeffery or 350 Rigby until today. 9.3x62 is certainly an option. I would like to hear more from people who have used it. I’d like something capable of 250-300 yards without any huge drop.
@MRBlack
For what you need a 35 Whelen fits the bill. With a 225gn sighted in 2.5 inches high at 100 yards you have a 24 inch drop at 400 yards. It shoots as flat as a 308 loaded with 150gn, but still hits with close to 2,000fpe at 400 yards.
Bob.

Once again you dont NEED a new caliber, you just WANT a new caliber. And hey, That's OK :)

I would argue that you have a hot rod .30 caliber in the .300 RUM. You didn't specify that you reload or not. However, if you load the .300RUM with heavy for caliber bullets,(200gr or larger) you really negate the need for the .338 Win. and should at that point grab the .375 H&H for anything bigger.

Now once again, if you WANT one, go buy it. BUT IMHO you dont NEED one with what you already have in the safe.

If you are looking for a rifle project to keep you off the streets and out of the Bars, go buy one and throw all of these opinions in the trash and have fun :)

I would do a bit of a reality check and ask yourself this; How many instances have you hunted with your .300RUM and it was not enough gun to do the job?

If I ran into a scenario like that i would not be reaching for a .338Win but rather a .375! Because anything that can withstand a .300RUM is probably an animal that can hurt you and you need something REALLY big.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
the 338 win is a great cartridge! have used extensively. pretty flat shooting, not horrible recoil, great terminal performance. that said, 9.3 x 62 would be good, but neither will do anything that your 375 h&h wont do. except, they are both in a lighter rifle.

The .333Jeffery is a specialized cartridge. However it does share just about the same casevolume as the .338Win. When this written the .333Jeffery has a larger casevolume when using the 300grain. Using a 300grain in a .338Win steal powderroom. I have loaded the .333Jeffery up to 2400 ft/sec with a 300grain Woodleigh and I only experienced I could have loaded must harder if needed. However My loads does only 2300 ft/sec as this is the original. Sierra .338cal 250grain bullets can easely be sized down to .333cal for plainsgame and casual hunting. Its a cheaper solution than buying Woodleighs. When in Africa I only use 300grain. Thats what the .333jeffery is all about. The Woodleighs are very soft and its recommened to stick what Woodleigh recommend. If I didn’t have a .333Jeffery the 9,3mm Mauser would be the best choice. A very versatile medium bore caliber. The old 292grain TUG bullets will mince heart and lungs on the biggest game except for elephant.

I’m kinda leaning towards the 338 Winchester currently. Perhaps it and a 300 H&H. I feel it would make a great 2 gun battery in classy cartridges.
the 338 will do anything the 300 h&h does only better. also, you already have a 3006, sooo....... that said, i have more guns than i NEED, but just barely! good luck on your decision.

Rifles anonymous meets here the first Thursday of every month...............:)
Nope! First you have to admit you have a problem.. We don't have a problem!!!

I must admit I was seriously considering a 4 barrel set Heym 88 this weekend...

Last edited:
I love this type of question. Love the "need" (LOL) for another rifle--that's why my gun-safe is bursting at the seams. I also love spending other people's money for them.

Here's my counter-question before I venture into my own suggestions. Do you require a magnum, or can this rifle be in the "heavy and slower" category, like--for instance--a .35 Whelen or a 9x57? And when you say "oddball" calibers, do you mean oddball as in can't buy at your average gun-store, or oddball as in you need to scroll to page 10 in a google search before finding brass?

BTW, my caliber spectrum for my finer hunting rifles is as follows:

6.5x54, .318 WR, .375 H&H Flanged, .450-400, .450 BPE, .500 NE. As you can see, I have nothing in the .30-06 class--used to have a Model 70 in .300 H&H but decided that I didn't need it. I'm waiting for the right .303 Brit--but every time a Lee Speed comes up for sale, someone is always faster than me.

I love this type of question. Love the "need" (LOL) for another rifle--that's why my gun-safe is bursting at the seams. I also love spending other people's money for them.

Here's my counter-question before I venture into my own suggestions. Do you require a magnum, or can this rifle be in the "heavy and slower" category, like--for instance--a .35 Whelen or a 9x57? And when you say "oddball" calibers, do you mean oddball as in can't buy at your average gun-store, or oddball as in you need to scroll to page 10 in a google search before finding brass?

BTW, my caliber spectrum for my finer hunting rifles is as follows:

6.5x54, .318 WR, .375 H&H Flanged, .450-400, .450 BPE, .500 NE. As you can see, I have nothing in the .30-06 class--used to have a Model 70 in .300 H&H but decided that I didn't need it. I'm waiting for the right .303 Brit--but every time a Lee Speed comes up for sale, someone is always faster than me.
Doesn’t necessarily have to be magnum. I have been tempted by the 318 WR before and I have yet to fully shake the notion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PabloSecco

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.