Maybe those gunsmiths do know a thing, or two ...

graybird

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa (Eastern Cape and KwaZulu-Natal both twice), Saskatchewan, Oklahoma, Colorado, Texas, Nebraska, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Mississippi
I've been looking for a load to take with me to South Africa in my 300 Win Mag using the Barnes 180 gr TSX.

I was at my gunsmith's place the other day looking for a few answers. I was getting 3 shot groups in the 1-1.5" range, which I was acceptable with, however, the groups were not consistent from one range trip to another. Many of the groups were in a vertical line, perhaps 2 touching, or near touching, with the 3rd off from 1" to 1.75". So, I was asking some questions about the gun, etc. He suggested I needed to use a faster burning powder versus the IMR7828ssc, RL22, Magnum and MagPro, I'd tried thus far. His suggestion was when getting vertical stringing, the fix is to try a faster burning powder.

He suggested a load that he uses with 180 gr bullets in all of the 300 Win Mag rifles he builds. He mainly shoots Hornady, Sierra and Speer bullets, but said he didn't see why the Barnes wouldn't do the same. His comment was, "If the rifle didn't shoot this load, then we need to work on it." He also stated the load should be shooting around 3100 fps.

I was a bit skeptical because the load he suggested is over current published recommendations. However, I worked up to the suggested load and here are the results. There were absolutely no over pressure signs, heavy bolt lift, etc.

Three shot group with Barnes 180 gr TSX average speed was 3096 fps with 22 fps deviation.

TgtGfx_zpsed369e67.jpg

Attachments

• TgtGfx_zpsed369e67.jpg
    TgtGfx_zpsed369e67.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 156
Wow, that gun is accurate!!!

Don't you need to shoot more than one shot to see how it groups??.

Nice shooting... I think you're set! :clapping:

That is awesome! I'm currently working up a load for my 338 WM. Just curious.....what was the special recipe for the 300 WM? My 300 likes IMR 4831. It is the speed that really has me interested.
Thanks

So I have to guess at the powder. H 1000 or Retumbo? Those seem to work well for the long range shooting crowd. Bruce

I would be interested in the recipe you used to get that group. My Ruger M77 likes 69.0 Gr of IMR4831 pushing a 180gr Nosler Partition. My group are not quite as good as yours, but i get 5 shot groups that are touching.

Did you shoot that group with sand bags?

how do you like the OnTargetShooting program? I am starting to see alot of people using it.

Last edited:
Group was shot using a Caldwell Rock front rest and a sand bag on the toe of the stock. Nothing else other than my t-shirt and fleece jacket that I was wearing to knock the chill off the slight breeze.

Powder used was IMR 4350, but Kevin said H4350 could be used, as well. Whatever I had on hand. Load was 72 grains, which I was hesitant to work up to especially with the published max being 69 grains. I started 5% below 69 and worked up to 72 grains at 0.5 grain increments. I would recommend doing nothing less than working up in your rifle,too.

FYI, my rifle is a Ruger M77 that I've had for about 15 years now.

how do you like the OnTargetShooting program? I am starting to see alot of people using it.

I really like the OnTarget program. When I first starting using it, it was a free download. Now, I think there is a one time $10-15 charge, I'm not sure what the price is.

It sure does take the guess work out of what size your groups are!

Awesome results Graybird, thanks for sharing the recepi !

I don't doubt that many of us .300 shooters will be trying to emulate your groups.

That particular load, at 3000+fps, with THAT bullet, is one heck of a long range hammer
for all types of large, thin-skinned game at any reasonable hunting distance, the bonus being almost match-grade accuracy.
That's about all I could ever ask of my .300

Congrats, as a reloader, and firearm tinkerer, I know it's very rewarding getting to this point with any of our firearms.

I agree, Paul!!!

I can't imagine what a 180 gr TSX leaving the barrel at roughly 3100 fps will do down range. But, I'm sure excited to see what it does!!! :cool:

Powder used was IMR 4350, but Kevin said H4350 could be used, as well. Whatever I had on hand. Load was 72 grains, which I was hesitant to work up to especially with the published max being 69 grains. I started 5% below 69 and worked up to 72 grains at 0.5 grain increments. I would recommend doing nothing less than working up in your rifle,too.

FYI, my rifle is a Ruger M77 that I've had for about 15 years now.

Thanks for the info.

My M-70 .300 Win. likes 150's. A tack driver also. I am not a handloader but found Federal Power Shok my ticket for accuracy. It also kills.

Now to get the .375 H&H to the range.

"A Dream can be relived, again and again in Africa."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg