Mauser 98 vs Blaser R8

Red leg you dont understand! It is for the ambidextrous people! :D
 
How difficult is it to change the turning bolt skill to a straight action skill? I have heard of extreme cases where very strong hunters have broken the handle, although this may be a story.
Not hard at all. The Blaser bolt is easier to use than a Mauser bolt.
 
I've shot turn bolts my whole life.

As to bolt manipulation, I find that after several shots with the Blaser, I try to straight pull my turnbolts.

DB
 
I have shot both Blaser R8 and different marks of regular bolt action rifles, I did not had any technical issues with the Blaser nor any problems using the straight pull when shooting the rifles but still prefers Mauser M98 to the R8 mostly for aesthetic reasons but also because it feels more reassuring with the whole CRF-part.
 
I have shot both Blaser R8 and different marks of regular bolt action rifles, I did not had any technical issues with the Blaser nor any problems using the straight pull when shooting the rifles but still prefers Mauser M98 to the R8 mostly for aesthetic reasons but also because it feels more reassuring with the whole CRF-part.
I completely understand the aesthetics of the R8 and not liking them, it's not for everyone. But rest assured, the Blaser R8 will still cycle upside-down...slowly. I did it quickly as well, but didn't film it.
 
I completely understand the aesthetics of the R8 and not liking them, it's not for everyone. But rest assured, the Blaser R8 will still cycle upside-down...slowly. I did it quickly as well, but didn't film it.
Nice! Could you hang upside down by a tree limb or horizontal pole or similar and video the functioning of the R8 while firing it? It would simulate falling out of a tree stand and firing upside down while dangling from the safety harness. LOL
 
Yep. no doubt. So will every other push feed I have taken the time to try, which is the main reason I don't buy into the whole PF vs CRF argument. Now if you want to argue the merits of a particular extractor I think that is more relevant. In my mind the advantage of most CRF is they do have a stout and reliable extractor, beyond that is nonsense in my mind.
 
Nice! Could you hang upside down by a tree limb or horizontal pole or similar and video the functioning of the R8 while firing it? It would simulate falling out of a tree stand and firing upside down while dangling from the safety harness. LOL
I have a video of me doing it in a Cat 4 hurricane with a rabid squirrel bearing down on me. :ROFLMAO:

I’ll see if I can find it. :unsure:
 
If a firearm is that complicated to use I don’t want anything to do with it.
Traditional bolt action rifles are far more complicated than the R8! They require twice as many manipulations of the bolt after firing.
- "Traditional" push up, then push back, then push forward, then push down.
- R8 - Push back, then push forward. Done. :)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,316
Messages
1,572,652
Members
169,599
Latest member
MarquisBig
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top