AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
What’s the general consensus on the Mauser 66’s? There’s one online that has languished for quite a while, and they do seem like a somewhat interesting rifle. What’s the good, bad, and the ugly on them?

They never really caught on. I think at the time they were introduced, they were considered so different and out of mainstream that they did not sell. I know two people who hunt them now. One is a PH in Mozambique and his is in .458. It has served him well in some really tough conditions for over two decades. That said, one of the criticisms was that the action did not respond well to dust. I am not sure how true that actually is.

Many, particularly in this country, seem to be going for very reasonable prices when they do appear. And if not, they seem to languish forever.

The Mauser 66 has been introduced in 1966. Due to the telescopic system the overall weapon length is approx. 8-9 cm shorter than a standard action rifle.

Until production ended somewhere late 80´s approx. 70.000 rifles have been produced.
Some important technical changes:
In 1970 the catch lever for the telescope has been introduced and the recoil lug on the barrels have been removed. Also in this year the high-performance system (HL) has been introduced, capable to host 95mm long cartridges.
The barrel is bedded on the system and an aluminum block in the stock. Just need to remove two screws and you have a take-down.
In 1972 the safety has been improved, the so called S-safety. From this time on it was called Mauser 66S.

Here in Germany we have a couple of gunsmith still doing custom works for the M66, e.g. offering a modern single stage trigger, adding a muzzle thread for silencers or a new scope mount (swing mount, Picatinny...).
Also changing the caliber ist quite easy be changing the barrel, I own for instance M66 in .33 Nosler, .416 Ruger and new in .450 Rigby.

I used different M66 in Africa without any concerns regarding robustness of the system or reliability.

Upper picture: M66S with new safety
Below picture: M66 with press button safety

Both with telescopic catch lever

IMG_0382.jpeg
IMG_0385.jpeg

In the US the dealer Numrich offered parts for the M66, but it seems that the homepage is offline.
Does anybody know if Numrich is still active?

Friend has one in 375H&H, if it’s had a box of ammo through it I’d be surprised. He loves the thing, and raves about how smooth the action is, cycles it and fires on a snap cap. It is a nice handling rifle. I can see this one being worn out through love more than actual shooting
gumpy

The one I’m looking at is a 66s in 270, I was assuming that S meant stutzen, but I stand corrected

I’ve heard they’re susceptible to dust. But haven’t tried one. Was looking at one in 30-06 before reading that and got a howa instead.

I’ve heard they’re susceptible to dust. But haven’t tried one. Was looking at one in 30-06 before reading that and got a howa instead.
Well we hunt in the snow here, so I’m not too concerned with dust

And swap barrel system later used in Blaser and Mauser m03 .
I’m assuming stand alone barrels are hard to find

Extremely unique design with the easiest & best switch barrel capabilities I've ever seen. I personally just feel like The Mauser 66 is a tricky rifle to scope.

Extremely unique design with the easiest & best switch barrel capabilities I've ever seen.
(y) Caliber change extrem easy.
I personally just feel like The Mauser 66 is a tricky rifle to scope.
Not really, there are assemblies from EAW for swing mount and I modified meanwhile seven M66 with a Picatinny rail.

They're great rifles and years ahead of their time.Very accurate and short plus having a fast action time.They have a very solid and balanced feel to them as they're steel. Theres 3 different calibre sizes, normal(like 7x57,3006 etc) magnum and big game..(375 and up).these are not interchangeable and need the groups bolt size. Also the magazine boxes on them are different lengths.Heres a pic of men,the engraved one is a 1966 factory custom in 3006 and the other is a big game safari type in 375hh,you can't see the length of the bolt shrouds indicating the longer mag boxes. The 375 is very fast in handling and is short and handy..with its open sight(I take the scope off, normally only using it for longer shots).

mauser_66_biggame_and_euroupa.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do I love my different M66? Definitively yes!

View attachment 587943View attachment 587944
Had two, sold one. I’m not sure, but I think it was a very early model, as it didn’t have the bolt release button on the right side. Finally figured out (nothing about it in the manual) how to release the bolt with it extended, but what a pain. The 66 I kept of course has the button and is pristine… love it. BTW the change in stock design, presumably as time passed, was very noticeable. The early, no button 66’s stock was very thin and rounded at the front. The later, with button 66 has a stock that’s heavier, more angular, and very Weatherby looking.

Great group of 66s above. Congrats, those are nice!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfredoYua

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.