Markhor....what's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Hunting Asia & Middle East' started by TOM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Australia (WA & NT), Zimbabwe, Zambia
    This is what the current world record markhor looks like. A simply beautiful trophy! (If I won Lotto a markhor hunt would definitely be on my list!) Reason why they're so expensive is because the government only issues about 12 tags per year - which then makes for very stiff competition to secure one. I think this guy paid over US $300K for this hunt. Kashmir_Markhor_Pakistan(1).jpeg

ChrisPy, Rick Cox, Mekaniks and 2 others like this.

2. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Simply magnificent trophy IMO..extremely physical hunt.

gizmo likes this.

3. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    I agree, but what I'd be worried about is if after taking the shot, he tumbled down those jagged outcrops and busted a horn!! Horrifies me just thinking about it!!

gizmo likes this.

4. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    If you win the lotto and get a Markhor and that happens, holler at me. I know a good taxidermist that can fix the horns. :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Timbo likes this.

5. Rick Cox

Rick Cox SILVER SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, British Colombia Ca.
    That is one magnificent looking specimen! Totally deserving of a full head or body mount...

6. Rick Cox

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Heh - you want stinky? Ever shot a big mule deer buck deep in the rut? Rutting bull moose can be aromatic as well.

7. Timbo

Timbo AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    BGRC PFRC & SSAA
    Hunted:
    Oh don't worry, Gizmo, if it ever does happen to me you'll certainly hear me hollering from way up those mountains!! However, I read here that you have Markhor on your ranch: certainly a much cheaper option by far!

gizmo likes this.

8. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    The answer us in the difficulty of the hunt particularly so in the high rugged mountains. Personally the animal does not appeal to me.
    To others its twisted horns are great.

9. Rick Cox

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    What a beauty! My understanding is that Markhor were brought back from the verge of extinction, and the population is growing thanks to the value they give back to the community through trophy hunting.

10. Travis2282

Travis2282 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I think it would be an incredible adventure that dreams are made of! Half the fun would be trying to figure out which gun/ammo to take!

Pheroze and gizmo like this.

11. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    I don’t havr any at the moment but can get them if needed. I don’t keep them because they are just too danged expensive to buy and risk death loss on.

ArmyGrunt and Timbo like this.

12. Travis2282

Travis2282 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Just curious, if you were to buy some do you buy them young and let them grow many years before hunting? Or are they already grown when purchased?

gizmo likes this.

13. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    Ideally I would want to buy a herd of them and let them breed etc... more than likely they would be brought in young and they would grow up on the ranch etc... the problem with Markhor and a few others is that it is not even remotely cost effective to do it that way for me and I would never get a return on my investment. Soooo..... if one was to want to hint Markhor with me I would buy a mature trophy billy and release it well in advance of the hunters arrival. Once the hunter arrived we would spot and stalk it through the canyons.

Travis2282 likes this.

14. gizmo

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Hunted:
    On a place like the 777 where the have at least a million dollar a year budget to work with it’s a bit different. They can afford to buy a herd of them. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll be able to buy a starter herd? Right now I’m working on trying to get my Dybowski Sika herd going as well as hopefully a Pierre David Deer and Addax herd next year.
    My Scimitar have really taken off and I have two that have already been born on the ranch this fall.
    Blackbuck, fallow, axis, red deer, and Aoudad will start having babies again In The spring.
    Most of my sheep and goat species, with the exception of Aoudad, are only males as they readily cross breed to bad.
    On the Dybowski sika I brought in a breeder pair last spring. I hope to add to it this Spring.

ArmyGrunt likes this.

15. Travis2282

Travis2282 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Understood!

16. jeff

jeff AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci P&Y
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa in Kwazu Natal, Limpopo, Eastern Cape , Northwest Province, USA Ariz, Nev, Mont, Ida, Ore, Cal, Mich,Wash, AlasKa
    There are several different species of Markor and some have horn types that appeal to me more than others.

17. Foxi

Foxi AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA,Austria,Turkey,Tschech Rep.,Poland,Hungary,Serbia,Denmark,Namibia and England(England is wonderful) Romania,Luangwa-,Gwayi- + Save River.Horseback-tours in South Africa and Botswana.
    Brick.
    Can't help me .
    When I see this Markhor, I associate it with something else ;)
    alte-korkenzieher-und-weinflasche-im-hintergrund-auf-rustikalem-holz-50566271.jpg
    Regards
    Foxi

Red Leg and Nyati like this.

18. npm352

npm352 AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    I think they are awesome and applaud anyone willing to put that kind of money into conservation.

It would be neat, but I think those monster Asian sheep are even cooler.

19. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    I can't afford Markhor or justify an Argali - and at my age, not sure I could handle Argali altitudes. However, a Mid-Asian Ibex may just be in the cards in 2020 - assuming I survive my mountain goat hunt in '19!