Markhor....what's the big deal?

Discussion in 'Hunting Asia & Middle East' started by TOM, Aug 3, 2017.

1. ArmyGrunt

ArmyGrunt AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, Hungary
    This dude is gorgeous!

2. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Expedition @Red Leg ???

You can hunt Markhor within an hour of your house, tops! :A Stirring:

3. Hutch01

Hutch01 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    RSA East Cape 4X, Mozambique, NZ, Namibia
    I appreciate goats for their physical qualities. I've seen them in South Texas climb mesquite trees to eat the beans. Also stand on tops of old junk pickup trucks or sedans. Obviously extremely agile even domestically. Their coats and horns vary from each continent. The meat is greasy, but goats are interesting. I hope to hunt the Markhor some day along with ibex hopefully farther east than Spain. One of God's magnificent creations! Kudu goat is an excellent description. Cheers.

Dr Ray and Philip Glass like this.

4. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    No I couldn't. Though I suppose I could "shoot" one.

5. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    $450 per inch in Texas. I think I'd rather have a woman do the measuring than a man.

6. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Tom ..I believe Uzbeki Gazorks are two toed.........................you are perhaps thinking of the Turkmeni subspecies.........................FWB

jeff and TOM like this.

7. Philip Glass

Philip Glass AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, Zimbabwe, Texas
    Markhor is the ultimate mountain game for many reasons. If you watch the most recent Jim Shockey Uncharted the hunt is truly extreme and dangerous. It takes place in beautiful country (to each his own) and very exotic and dangerous (ever heard of the Taliban or Mujahadin?). There is no comparison of the expense or danger (perceived) in hunting Markhor. Oh yes and I can say firsthand it is likely the smelliest goat on the planet, you get that stuff on you and it doesn't wash off!
    That said for a very reasonable price you can have a wonderful adventure hunting Ibex in Kyrgyzstan and it is beautiful and exotic in its own right.
    Regards,
    Philip

ActionBob, Red Leg and flatwater bill like this.

8. Ryan

Ryan AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Having a philisophical quandry?
    I have a coworker who loses a lot of sleep over sheep and goat hunting in-state and around the world. He loves hunting them for all the reasons you mention. I know this is high on his list but probably out of his economic means, which makes it all the more tantalizing to him. But mention African game, aside from maybe aoudad, and his eyebrow wouldn't lift a hair. I'm the same about grizzly/brown bear. To each their own...
    Unless your goal in life is to get one of everything, there's plenty else to focus on.

9. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Ryan...........glad you clarified WHY your co worker loses sleep over sheep. Wyoming natives may be different.....But you are very right, I love to hunt most anything, but have no interest in big cats, tiny ten, or crocs.......yet when I come back rich and famous in my next life, I will hunt the hell out of all wild sheep and goats.......and Philip........you said it! A Kyrgi Ibex is one of the best adventures out there...............and bang for buck is fantastic............FWB

gizmo and jeff like this.

10. Hank2211

Hank2211 AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, DU, Pheasants Forever
    Hunted:
    Canada, United States, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape; Northern Cape; North West Province, Natal, Mpumalanga, Limpopo), Namibia, Cameroon, Benin, Ethiopia, Argentina
    I am glad we don't all want to hunt the same things . . . but the Tiny Ten are a true challenge, will take you to some different countries and a variety of terrain, and are a heck of a lot of fun. And if you don't like the big cats, the small cats offer as much if not more challenge than the Tiny Ten.

Aren't hunters lucky?!!

11. Ragman

Ragman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
    I guess I'm kind of in the minority here with @TOM. While they are a cool animal (aren't they all?), they are likely the least appealing to me of all the mountain species. I think the sheep species, our NA mountain goat and the tahr are all more attractive, but the most impressive for me is the different ibex varieties. They are incredible looking creatures. However aside from having a lunch bucket budget there is one other thing that would prevent me from hunting the sheep/goat species and that is sheer terror of falling to my death up in those mountains! Makes my blood go cold!

If I were to pick an extreme hunt that would be more for me, I think it would have to be muskox up on the tundra. That would be cool.

TOM and flatwater bill like this.

12. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    I'm with you Phil. I saw that episode it was incredible. Having hunted Dall, Mtn goat, big horn and Tahr on foot I can tell you Markhor for a Mtn sheep hunter has it all. Adventure, landscape, danger, challenge and some of the most unusual horns one could ever want. IMO what a trophy. You would surely join the ranks of the elite.

jeff, ArmyGrunt and flatwater bill like this.

13. Ragman

Ragman AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
    I forgot Aoudad! I would REALLY love to hunt them!

gizmo and James Cook like this.

14. johnnyblues

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Do it bro. I did mine many years ago in west Texas, free range ,fair chase. What a hunt! One of my fondest memories of all the hunts I ve been on.

15. James Cook

James Cook AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, NRA Life, B.A.S.S., Ducks Unlimted
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Mexico, Argentina, Canada, U.S. - LA, TX, OK, AR, AL, SC, GA, KS
    where? would like to make that hunt......

16. Red Leg

Red Leg AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
    Hunted:
    Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
    http://www.desertsafaris.com/ Give Hunter Ross a call. Boddington has featured him several times and he has some fabulous, HUGE, country out in West Texas. It is all free range, and you will find it as challenging a hunt as you would ever hope to have in the lower 48. In five days of hunting we saw over a hundred Aoudad; stalked and passed on several; and ended up with a beautiful ram. I can highly recommend his operation.

17. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Too me the Marco Polo sheep hunt would a GRAND HUNT! High altitude, possible long shots, cold weather, wind.....mythical hunt! Still #1 on my list

flatwater bill and johnnyblues like this.

18. johnnyblues

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Southwest trophy hunts. Bubba Glosson. He has great ranches in western Texas. Great guy!

IMG_0800.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2017
    bilmcc likes this.

19. johnnyblues

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    I would see that would be a real close choice for me too. Me it's the bongo.

20. Adam Stevens

Adam Stevens AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Canada, USA, Mexico
    Not sure if they were removed on purpose and if so I apologize but I was really looking forward to watching a couple videos that were posted I thought yesterday on this thread??? One looked like high quality filming.

As a BC hunter I understand the draw of sheep and goat. Everyone's different and tastes varies. Just look at the women in our lives. No two the same.

I for instance would rather hunt a markhor or Mongolian ibex then a Marco Polo. No reasoning besides that's what I'd fancy.

I will say mr shockey stole my idea for a show hahaha. There was a Canadian travel show called departures. Very well shot travel show. Wide angles. Great panaramas.

I instantly had a dream of a hunting show or DVDs that were filmed the same way but in remote locations. And not 5-6 years later but I caught the trailer for Shockeys newest show. It was exactly what I imagined! A day short and a dollar late haha. But none the less I enjoy his show very much just wish I was the one doing the hunting hahhhaa

bilmcc likes this.