Magnum Length Action - Southpaw Build

JMJ888

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I finally got my hands on a reasonably priced lefty Dakota 76 African action in the white with a Rigby bolt face and am in the early stages of planning a custom. For righties, magnum length actions are easy to come by but for a lefty we have very few options for Rigby length CRF variants. Basically its the CZ 550 which have become expensive and hard to find since they discontinued the LH versions, the African Dakota 76 which is now owned by Parkwest, or the full blown customs of GMA or Satterlee. That pretty much sums it up.

I have built a number of big bores on converted M70 Winchester New Haven classics and have most of the big stuff covered...375 H&H, 375 RUM, and soon to be a 416 Rem Mag. I am kicking around ideas for caliber and leaning towards the 450 Rigby for a big stopping rifle at reasonable pressures but want to make sure I'm not overlooking something.

To me, the 450 Dakota is about the same but dwindling availability of brass is a concern. 416 Rigby would be mostly duplication of the Rem Mag. Stepping up to the 50s is intriguing with a 500 A-square but that could be an issue with headstamp matching rifle. I am just thinking out loud and would appreciate any input if I am overlooking something.

I am sure you'll get some useful suggestions from others. In the meantime, I can speak from my personal experience with the .450 Rigby. I used it to take a big-bodied Botswana bull elephant and 3 buffalo over the years.

I learned that the gun (pictured) would be the last London-made Rigby bolt gun before selling out to Rogue River in CA. The thought of that sickened me so I bought it. Paul Roberts explained that they designed the caliber for modern day elephant hunting where body shots would likely be more of the norm. It has never let me down and trust that it would stop anything.

It was built on a Peter Noreen action, which was a fine piece of mechanical kit in and of itself. The only drawback in my view was the bolt knob, which could have been a little bigger for more grip on a gun of that nature. Regardless, the cartridge itself left nothing to be desired. Although I only killed 4 animals with it, confidence never lacked. And I do believe the headstamp should match the markings on a gun taken overseas unless you're up for some negotiation and/or delay by an opportunist at the border.

Lastly, I had a relative that worked for a holding company that had owned Dakota. He mixed in with the production people daily, and always remarked positively about the mechanics and finish of their actions.

Best wishes for your project.

Rigby .450 Mag..jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel your pain. I am a Lefty in Houston also. I have been searching for months a LH Heym or Dakota 375.
I have a LH Sauer 404 in the 404 caliber. I am itching for another Heym in a 375. I will be talking to Parkwest at the DSC and see what we can do.

I feel your pain. I am a Lefty in Houston also. I have been searching for months a LH Heym or Dakota 375.
I have a LH Sauer 404 in the 404 caliber. I am itching for another Heym in a 375. I will be talking to Parkwest at the DSC and see what we can do.
I watch the left handed rifles section on Guns International, Gun Broker, and Guns America pretty much daily as of late looking for project actions. Seeing fewer Dakota 76's in 375 pop up but they do on occasion. I have a 15.5" LOP so most of the rifles are too expensive for something that would likely need a new stock.

I have been buying, building, and shooting LH bolt rifles for many years. When I decided to build a rifle for use on DG in Africa I contacted Reto Buehler and ordered a 404 Jeffery on a LH GM (streched small ring) Mauser 98, PacNor barrel and provided the blank. Finished weight with scope and sling is 10lbs. 2 oz. This rifle has accounted for two buffalo and an eland to date. The 404J is a killer buffalo caliber and the recoil is easily managed, even off the bench. As calibers get bigger (ie: 450 Rigby) they have more recoil and get heavier and more 'specialized'. I would not like to carry a rifle heavier than my 404J for any length of time tracking in the bush.

I also have three LH Model 70s - in .375 H&H (restocked), 260AI (restocked), and one being built in 308 Norma Magnum. These are all fine rifles, but I tend to favor the GM actioned 404J for pure function and good looks.

Buff1-1.jpg

@JMJ888 - Why not split the difference between the 416RM and the big .50's and go with something like a 458LOTT? It's a magnum action length, there are a lot of bullet weights available and it gives the option of using 458WM ammo in a pinch.

Matter of fact, I think I need a 458LOTT...except a Blaser R8...and right-handed. ;)

Last edited:
A fellow lefty here, I too have been buying good LH actions and parts when they pop up in the UK. I’ve got two Win M70 Classics with standard bolt face and a magnum Win extractor incase I want to open one up, and two CZ550’s in 375. I missed out on M70 375 a while ago. I really want a little LH 223 to build a 6x45. One of the CZ550’s is going to be rebarrelled to either a 404 or 458 Lott.

How about a .505 Gibbs?
I thought about the Gibbs but I can’t fall in love with the idea. A bit more limited on bullets vs 458 or 510 and would take a bit more tinkering on bolt face/magazine/feeding. Great cartridge but a little lower on my personal list.
@JMJ888 - Why not split the difference between the 416RM and the big .50's and go with something like a 458LOTT? It's a magnum action length, there are a lot of bullet weights available and it gives the option of using 458WM ammo in a pinch.

Matter of fact, I think I need a 458LOTT...except a Blaser R8...and right-handed. ;)
For me, magnum action is everything over 3.6” length. The M70’s all either come in 3.6” configuration in 375H&H/7 STW, or 3.4” in 7 Mag/300 Win/06 and can easily be made 3.6” by knocking magazine block out, shortening bolt stop, and opening up the rear bridge. I have owned a Lott, and likely will again at some point, but those are easier to put on M70 actions.

The bigger reason is my Dakota bolt face is already 0.590” for the Rigby sized case head.

Finally have it ironed out…without giving too much away I will be starting off with a 2” diameter Krieger 458 blank and my Australian walnut blank showed up from Roger Vardy.

Decided on 450 Rigby to keep it simple. Project has a long way to go but I’m excited.

AB992B67-0D78-4ABA-9DB4-A9AB041403B3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think tge 450 rigby is a great calibre. Reasonable supply of factory rounds and brass. Only the lott and win mag are more available in the 400 + calibres. And it can just idle along at anywhere between 2200 and 2350 fps (which is what i consider to be the best velocity for DG) and can also acomodate 500 gr brass or copper mono bullets.

Man the stock you picked is going to be beautiful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross