Magnetospeed barrel mount chrono's?

I have one. It's good if you can arrange it to STAY IN ONE PLACE ON THE BARREL. Barrels are TAPERED, Barrels have front ramp sights. I have found it troubling to get the little strap gadget tight enough to stay in one place and parallel to the line of the bore at the proper distance/

I've gone to blue painter's tape to secure it to the barrel.

It is what it is. I make it a point to never be in a hurry when I head out to chrony loads. Being in a hurry is when bad things happen to the chrony.

I simply re-adjust and re-tighten the strap after every shot.

Now somewhere on another forum I saw pics from someone with machining skills who worked out a gizmo that gets the bayonet properly positioned without using the strap at all. I suspect MagnetoSpeed is missing a bet by not coming up with a similar solution. They'd probably sell like hotcakes.

SES,
Tested our new Magnetospeed yesterday on a 22 pistol with silencer. The display did come up but no shots were recorded. Will try again with bigger bore gun.

I have been using the sporter for quite some time. It does change the POI, but you can get true speed in all weather conditions which to me is a great bonus.

This includes mostly using it on my 404 and 450 Rigby

I tried mine today for the first time and it worked great. I used a target as an aiming point just to check dispersion and found it not at all bad, several different loads and bullet weights all were in a "group" at least and not all over the place.
Took me a few minutes to set up and yes, the strap system requires getting it right, and I checked it a few times for tight and double checked with an aluminum cleaning rod that it stayed in line with the bore, but it wasnt moving much.
I had a front sight so the ramp tends to pull the front end of the bayo up, so I shimmed the front of the body so it would be more in line.
All in all I was quite pleased with the unit.
I will give some results later on another thread. Was shooting my 8x64s.

SES,
Tested our new Magnetospeed yesterday on a 22 pistol with silencer. The display did come up but no shots were recorded. Will try again with bigger bore gun.
I think it says in the blurb that it wont work with rimfires.

I think it says in the blurb that it wont work with rimfires.
@sestoppelman
That's the beauty of the chrony chronograph, it works with 22 rimfire and I even chronographed my mates air rifle. A bit of a pain to set up but when done you can chrono and zero at the same time and you don't have to tighten the strap after every shot. Downside is you have to be careful not to shoot the bloody thing.
Bob

I have a chrony as well but using it has become problematic, thats why I opted for this thing, easier set up, I can use it at the range and not have to travel miles to use it and it works.
As far as rimfire, I have never used my other chrony for that and no need to use this for it either.

I checked my strap several times but only had to tighten it once or twice and only as a means of checking it. Otherwise, it pretty painless.

It is what it is. I make it a point to never be in a hurry when I head out to chrony loads. Being in a hurry is when bad things happen to the chrony.

I simply re-adjust and re-tighten the strap after every shot.

Now somewhere on another forum I saw pics from someone with machining skills who worked out a gizmo that gets the bayonet properly positioned without using the strap at all. I suspect MagnetoSpeed is missing a bet by not coming up with a similar solution. They'd probably sell like hotcakes.
I am not in a hurry. I have my range on my property only a few hundred yards from my house, so I can take all the time needed without bothering people or dealing with a range master. But shooting three shots for each load in the development ladder in my .404 Jeffery and having to adjust the strap after every shot is not only a PITA, but makes me question the repeatability and accuracy of the instrument. The thing should stay where it is put until removed.

Ah -ha ! No workee with rimfires!
That .22 was my son's idea so we could shoot in the back yard on Mothers Day!
I will let him Know! We may need to move up in caliber and further out in the pasture.
Thanks!

I am not in a hurry. I have my range on my property only a few hundred yards from my house, so I can take all the time needed without bothering people or dealing with a range master. But shooting three shots for each load in the development ladder in my .404 Jeffery and having to adjust the strap after every shot is not only a PITA, but makes me question the repeatability and accuracy of the instrument. The thing should stay where it is put until removed.
I found that if you fully loosen the screw that tightens the strap, tighten the strap as best as you can by pulling it through the jaws , and then tightening the screw, you get a good hold.

I found that if you fully loosen the screw that tightens the strap, tighten the strap as best as you can by pulling it through the jaws , and then tightening the screw, you get a good hold.
I've got it working now. The problem is the barrel band front sight ramp - I was trying to shim it to level the bayonet and it would not get tight enough to resist the 404 recoil.

Was using mine yesterday also with a front sight and ramp on my .338 Win mag. I had no issues with it coming loose.
I get the strap as tight as I can, then a bit more. Then tighten that screw up really tight.
I check its tightness every few rounds but it doesnt come loose much if any. I also check bore alignment with a cleaning rod to ensure I dont skip a bullet off the deck as some have done.

I get the strap as tight as I can, then a bit more. Then tighten that screw up really tight.
I check its tightness every few rounds but it doesnt come loose much if any. I also check bore alignment with a cleaning rod to ensure I dont skip a bullet off the deck as some have done.
I have resolved the issues I was having by following your advice. I use two sections of aluminum cleaning rod and pay attention to aligh the sensor deck parallel with the bore. To do this, I insert a small cardboard shim under the front portion of the plastic pad where it contacts the barrel. This gives consistent results.

I have resolved the issues I was having by following your advice. I use two sections of aluminum cleaning rod and pay attention to aligh the sensor deck parallel with the bore. To do this, I insert a small cardboard shim under the front portion of the plastic pad where it contacts the barrel. This gives consistent results.
I had to use a shim on one of my rifles as well. All depends on the sight ramp angle if there is one.

I have used mine for a couple years and it works fine, as many have mentioned keeping the mount straps tight is a must. Don't try and shoot groups with it attached. I always develop the most accurate load for a rifle then do a 5-10 shot string to get consistent results. An us that speed to develop the dope for down range scope adjustments.

The toughest to get to work with: a double rifle. Have to mount to the side of each barrel and
"BE RE-TIGHTENED AFTER EVERY SHOT"
I was wondering how it works with a Double Rifle?

My 450/400 Nitro measures 1 1/2 inches width. I figured it would have to be mounted on the Side of each barrel. Will the Sporter Version work (I know they list it for 1 inch diameter barrels), but a double rifle is a different beast, or do I need the V3?

Looking for actual experience with Magnetospeed with a double rifle.

Thanks for any experience you can share.

You are correct. You place the Magnetospeed on the outside of each barrel if you are trying to get speed from each barrel. You will have to tighten it up after most every. I have the sported addition and it works fine. If you are using on a O/U then it is like a normal barrel on the lower barrel and on the top you won't be able to see sight as it will be sitting on the top of the barrel.

For just basic Chrono needs, is there any advantage of the v3 over the sporter model?
The v3 accepts a micro SD card and stores the muzzle velocity in a .csv file. I convert them to an open doc file and save them to my chrono folder. AFAIK, the sporter model requires writing the MVs on paper.

TRied it on DR an it wAS A NO GO.
However, I have a single barrel rifle of same caliber and barrel length as both of my DRs.
Problem solved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross