Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Anybody use them? Likes or dislikes? Worth the tariff?
TIA

I have one and I’ve been very happy with it. Just be sure to keep it tight on the barrel. I’m on my second because the first became a little loose and got grooved by a bullet.

Yeah, was just reading about that, gotta keep an eye on it. Is it just Velcro straps coming loose?

I have used one for a few years and I really like it. I used to get all sorts of errors with the optical ones. I can think of one shot that did not read over the Magnetospeed. It seems very accurate and dependable. But, yes, if you shoot it you will find the performance degrades some.

The strap that holds it in place can be cinched down with a screw after you have pulled the strap tight. It works well.

I know these have been around a while, seen them on others rifles, but never thought about getting one till now as its a PITA to find a place to use my big setup, and using the range chrono is a buck a shot!, and being an old Oehler with exposed screens they wont use it if its even drizzling out!
Looking at the Sporter version which is about half the cost of the bigger unit and is probably all I would ever need.

Thanks guys!

I have one. Changes barrel harmonics drastically on my rifle. I shoot 8” high when it’s installed. My $.02. OK for getting velocity, but can’t shoot for accuracy at the same time. Might not affect all rifles as it does mine however.

For another few hundred one can get a Labradar and shoot for accuracy, BC, and chronograph if results. Otter than the cost, are there other drawbacks?

I have a cheap chronograph and it is not too convenient to set up, so I don’t use it much.

The Sport version is only $180 at Midway. The Labradar is a fair amount more and does all manner of things I dont need it to do.

I have one. Changes barrel harmonics drastically on my rifle. I shoot 8” high when it’s installed. My $.02. OK for getting velocity, but can’t shoot for accuracy at the same time. Might not affect all rifles as it does mine however.
What type rifle is it that it causes the problem?

Are front sights a problem for these? Saw one review said they are a bugger if rifle has a front sight. Most of mine do.

I used to use it but then switched to LabRadar. MagnetoSpeed works well but I like LabRadar better.
LabRadar

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.21.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.21.50 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.21.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 11.21.51 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
Anybody use them? Likes or dislikes? Worth the tariff?
TIA
@sestoppelman
The magnetospeeds are easy to set up and give speeds within a few fps of my chrony.
The only problem is when sighting in they give a different poi because they upset barrel harmonics.
Pros
Good for working up loads and speeds
Easy set up
Doesn't rely on light as much, overcast day don't affect it and sunny days you don't need a filter.
Don't need a tripod to mount it on.

Downside as listed above
More expensive than the chrony brand
Bob

My rifle is a semi-custom 6.5 A Square with a 26” fluted #4 contour barrel. When working up a load I want to shoot for accuracy and velocity at the same time, killing two birds with one stone. Hard to keep the darn thing in the exact same location with the same tension for a 5 shot group. As I said this may not be a problem for a different firearm but it is for it definitely effects this one. I never used it on my other rifles because I had already had loads I was satisfied with before I acquired it. Not bad mouthing the product, just doesn’t work for me. Have a friend that likes his.

I have 2 of them. I end up shooting over my old school chrono more often than not for the POI changes with it attached noted above. If I were to have only one, it would be the kind you shoot through.

I have the v3 version of the MagnetoSpeed. Bought it when the range stopped providing chrony's to members. The v3 is very handy to pack around as I'm out at the range weekly. Just like with the LabRadars, I'm not bothering others on adjoining benches because I'm simply attaching it to the barrel.

It will fit just about any barrel - from a typical hunting contour with tall iron front sight, to my heaviest mutant bull barrel bench rifle.
As recoil increases the more the MagnetoSpeed will slide on the barrel at the shot. I simply slide it back into position, check the snugness of the strap and get ready for the next shot. Never be in a hurry when doing chrony-based work; that is usually the root cause of chrony's getting shot.

Don't expect to do both MV measuring and shot group measuring with a MagnetoSpeed; that is not what it is designed for. If that is a requirement, then Labradar is the route to go.

When I was considering my options the MagnetoSpeed v3 was $400 delivered. The LabRadar was $700+ delivered. For that difference I am fine with measuring MVs and shot groupings separately.

I have used mine for a couple years and it works fine, as many have mentioned keeping the mount straps tight is a must. Don't try and shoot groups with it attached. I always develop the most accurate load for a rifle then do a 5-10 shot string to get consistent results. An us that speed to develop the dope for down range scope adjustments.

The toughest to get to work with: a double rifle. Have to mount to the side of each barrel and
"BE RE-TIGHTENED AFTER EVERY SHOT"

I have one and it is just fine for what it is. You can get an accurate reading on on velocity, without much cost or effort.

It will clearly impact your accuracy.

I've used a MagnetoSpeed V3 on several rifles and not noticed a large shift in POI. When you are simply trying to get velocity, you don't necessarily need to shoot at a target for accuracy.

Are front sights a problem for these? Saw one review said they are a bugger if rifle has a front sight. Most of mine do.
Front sights actually help in my opinion. It keeps the strap mounted bayonet from sliding forward from the recoil.

On tapered barrels without a front sight, I wrap some double sticky sided masking tape on the end of the barrel and then tighten the strap over the tape. This does a great job of keeping it from moving.

Thanks for all the replies men! I already have an old Competion Electronics chrony but as I mentioned its tough to find a good place to use it without traveling a long ways, and the range chrony is expensive to use and sort of a pain too.
I will likely get one of these.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jemsbond

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.