Looks like Mr. Spots in Zimbabwe this May!

You should have a great hunt. Lin is an excellent choice. Wish you the best of luck. Looking forward to your report. Bruce

Thanks for the well wishes guys! I'm not going to be able to concentrate much at work for the next 6 weeks!

Ok, without the sarcasm, what caliber rifle will you be using for the leopard? Will you be using your own, or something provided by the outfitter. Either way this should be a great hunt. Looking forward to the report. P.S. make it good, because we'll all be comparing it to rookhawks!!!

Ok, without the sarcasm, what caliber rifle will you be using for the leopard? Will you be using your own, or something provided by the outfitter. Either way this should be a great hunt. Looking forward to the report. P.S. make it good, because we'll all be comparing it to rookhawks!!!

@Shootist43, with the route I need to take and the time I had available to me, combined with the combination of using 3 different airlines, none of whom are codeshare partners, I deemed it best not to try taking my rifle this time. I was planning on taking my .300 wm with me, but I will be using a .375 scoped with swarovski provided by the PH.

I'll do my best on the report!

Last edited:
Good luck and hope a big tom comes your way.

Likewise, wishing all of you much leopard success!

I'll be bringing two rifles this time, my trusty English Mauser .375 with a 1-6x24 and my Westley .318 take down with a 1-6x24 illuminated.

I hope to use the Westley for spots and the eland and klippy if all goes well.

I got this leopard bug in me three years ago when I was at Tuli and in broad daylight I shouted to the PH "look at that lioness!" walking down a dry creek bed. I then put glass on it and realized it was no lion, it was a lion with spots! Just a huge beast of a cat. I mean HUGE! We had a female come to feed at one of our hyena baits as well.

Two years ago Russian Oligarchs bought up the quota of three cats in that area, struck out, and stiffed on the bill supposedly.

Last year, three were on quota and my PH had a client on a small but legal male on the 2nd night. They passed and didn't see another. The other two on quota weren't killed either. One of the additional was about to be killed when elephant came in and they had to blow their cover so as to not get killed by jumbo.

So I'm going into an area known for big leopards but they've been screwed with a fair amount too. I figured it could be now or never for exportable leopard so going to try.

I think the other three leopard hunts have better odds and conditions but I wouldn't mind if all four of us were successful!

@reedy0312 we will be hunting the same Mashonaland East area of Zim for spots within days of each other with some overlap! Very small world.

Correction: matabeland South is the province. No idea how I got so turned around. I wager we'll be within 50-75 miles of one another, or put another way, a three day drive! :)

That's great Charlie! I'm so jealous. Shoot a monster!

@Philip Glass , the plan is that we will be hunting S/SE of Bulawayo in the direction of West Nicolson, in his home hunting area
I am no expert on the area but sounds like we will not be able that far apart.
Philip

@Shootist43, with the route I need to take and the time I had available to me, combined with the combination of using 3 different airlines, none of whom are codeshare partners, I deemed it best not to try taking my rifle this time. I was planning on taking my .300 wm with me, but I will be using a .375 scoped with swarovski provided by the PH.

I'll do my best on the report!
Very wise decision not to take your own rifle under the circumstances. It would probably end up in the Philippines!!! Good luck!

Likewise, wishing all of you much leopard success!

I'll be bringing two rifles this time, my trusty English Mauser .375 with a 1-6x24 and my Westley .318 take down with a 1-6x24 illuminated.

I hope to use the Westley for spots and the eland and klippy if all goes well.

I got this leopard bug in me three years ago when I was at Tuli and in broad daylight I shouted to the PH "look at that lioness!" walking down a dry creek bed. I then put glass on it and realized it was no lion, it was a lion with spots! Just a huge beast of a cat. I mean HUGE! We had a female come to feed at one of our hyena baits as well.

Two years ago Russian Oligarchs bought up the quota of three cats in that area, struck out, and stiffed on the bill supposedly.

Last year, three were on quota and my PH had a client on a small but legal male on the 2nd night. They passed and didn't see another. The other two on quota weren't killed either. One of the additional was about to be killed when elephant came in and they had to blow their cover so as to not get killed by jumbo.

So I'm going into an area known for big leopards but they've been screwed with a fair amount too. I figured it could be now or never for exportable leopard so going to try.

I think the other three leopard hunts have better odds and conditions but I wouldn't mind if all four of us were successful!
With no cats taken during the past two years in your area, you hopefully will have several to choose from during your hunt....good luck!!!

Enjoy the hunt!

Zim is a great place.

Congrats on booking the leopard trip, Reedy. I didn't think you were going to do it when we talked in Dallas. I hope all four of us tag big toms! I leave May 16 so the clock is ticking fast.

Congrats on booking the leopard trip, Reedy. I didn't think you were going to do it when we talked in Dallas. I hope all four of us tag big toms! I leave May 16 so the clock is ticking fast.

Thank you sir! Yes it came together quickly and worked out for me! I leave May 12th, beyond exited right now!

All tickets purchased and deposit made, now t-minus 38 days!!!

All tickets purchased and deposit made, now t-minus 38 days!!!

Awesome!

T-minus 23 days here. By my math, you'll arrive just in time to bail me out from an out of control series of incidents at Busters in Bulawayo. I can count on you, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TraceeHigh

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!