Looking for the best New Mexico Pronghorn/Oryx Guide

Sorry to dominate a thread, just had another point to make for the OP.

Regarding frugality - America isn’t cheap. You’re going to spend a lot on sleazy motels, crap food, ice, fuel, and time to go hunt New Mexico for Oryx. The hunts pre-Covid were $4500 so I’m sure they are $6000 now. All-in with tags and expenses, you’re about at the same price I paid all-in for a ten day wilderness fly camp safari in Zim with 8 animals on quota.

Hunt America to hunt America, don’t do it thinking you’re saving a buck or two, you’re not. North American hunting is by far the most expensive venue for most species. Trophy leopard or exportable elephant costs half of a premium elk hunt for perspective.

My only Gemsbok was taken in RSA. If I had to do it again it would be in an area of Southern Africa where they are endemic such as Namibia. Mixed in with a few other animals that would be much less expensive (per animal) than buying into a private land hunt in New Mexico. Travel and daily fees included.

Echoing what had already been said-no need to hunt the US to gain experience for Africa. Look through the deals and offers section at your options on this site and that is just a sliver of what is available. The ph’s have worked with new guys and kids and women and old pro hunters and can make this a fun, exciting and successful experience for you.

Bang for buck much bigger in Africa. Just do your homework and AH deals and offers and hunt reports are probably the best places to start.
I hunted Pronghorn in New Mexico when it was cheap and no draw landowner tags were the norm for visiting hunters. The methods resembled African plains game hunting but the difference was after one shot I was headed home from New Mexico as opposed to just getting started in Africa.

I have an outfitter that does both Oryx and Pronghorn. My son was a lucky SOB and drew the 1600:1 odds non-resident Oryx tag when he was nine. Shot a record book animal at 247 yards. We go back with the outfitter the next year for a pronghorn hunt. He shoots a record book pronghorn at 168 yards.

Of the thousands of acres we trudged across, it was ironic that both shots occurred a year apart within maybe 200 yards of one another. This area is right next to White Sands Missile Range.

Mark at Iron Sights Outfitters is who we used. He’s highly competent. We’d use him again for elk/mulie/sheep if we drew a tag.

Postscript if I were to do it again: I would never enter the stupid lottos trying to draw an oryx tag. It’s not cost effective. Just buy the landowner tag (Mark has them) and the Pronghorn landowner tag and call it a day. It saves very little money coming to the outfitter with a tag in hand, asking for a guide and trespass fee, versus asking for them to provide the tag as well.

View attachment 515258
View attachment 515259
What a speedgoat!! I am surprised they were so close together, but I guess I just never made it to the right area. Your son needs to bottle and sell some of that luck.

What a speedgoat!! I am surprised they were so close together, but I guess I just never made it to the right area. Your son needs to bottle and sell some of that luck.

The best part of hunting with kids is they have exceptional luck. It’s sort of fun to watch it all unfold. But no one, and I do mean no one, has luck like my middle kid. A smattering of for-examples of which I’ve never had any such luck of this type in my hunting career:

a.) applies for a 1600:1 tag, parents dumb enough to go along with it. Draws it. Record animal shot first day.

b.) goes for a pronghorn hunt. We are warned they are management quality only on this ranch. Kills a record book animal first day.

c.) does a black bear hunt. Insists on shooting a bow from a tree. Guide argues with the ten year old that its a waste of time, every bow hunter he’s ever had out gives up after 4 days and requests they run hounds…shoots bear with bow two hours into his first sit at midday.

d.) Asks to go fishing for first time at 3 years old. Hates catching dozens of bluegills, says they are too small. Asks to catch a big fish. I cast out a 7-weight fly rod and he strips in a popper…lands an 8lb bass.

e.) Goes to Africa to hunt croc. Reports of a maneater on the Kusile river surface. Sets up a blind. Passes on several crocs. First day, second sit, kills the maneater.

It’s become quite tiresome. The Midas touch follows him everywhere he goes and I’ve spent my whole life busting ass to try to make my own luck with minimal success per calorie exerted.

my african oryx, i think it was 600.00 u.s.d. at the time i shot it on a privite ranch.

DSCN8661 (3).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Free range Aoudad in West Texas
Nilgal in South Texas

The best part of hunting with kids is they have exceptional luck. It’s sort of fun to watch it all unfold. But no one, and I do mean no one, has luck like my middle kid. A smattering of for-examples of which I’ve never had any such luck of this type in my hunting career:

a.) applies for a 1600:1 tag, parents dumb enough to go along with it. Draws it. Record animal shot first day.

b.) goes for a pronghorn hunt. We are warned they are management quality only on this ranch. Kills a record book animal first day.

c.) does a black bear hunt. Insists on shooting a bow from a tree. Guide argues with the ten year old that its a waste of time, every bow hunter he’s ever had out gives up after 4 days and requests they run hounds…shoots bear with bow two hours into his first sit at midday.

d.) Asks to go fishing for first time at 3 years old. Hates catching dozens of bluegills, says they are too small. Asks to catch a big fish. I cast out a 7-weight fly rod and he strips in a popper…lands an 8lb bass.

e.) Goes to Africa to hunt croc. Reports of a maneater on the Kusile river surface. Sets up a blind. Passes on several crocs. First day, second sit, kills the maneater.

It’s become quite tiresome. The Midas touch follows him everywhere he goes and I’ve spent my whole life busting ass to try to make my own luck with minimal success per calorie exerted.
He will look back later in life and realize that you busting ass afforded him his opportunities. Which I'm sure he will do for his son. That my friend is something invaluable, luck or monetary.

Regarding costs, one more comment to add to the others... Living in SW Alaska, it AMAZES me what people pay to hunt moose and brown bear here. It's literally 2.5-3 times what I paid for my first African hunt - ten animals harvested, including a cow buffalo. To me, it's just mind blowing.

@Rubi_300
You're exact where I was 2½ years ago and I mean exactly.

Oddly, the indescribable desire to hunt an oryx is what got me starting believing I should just go to Africa. Then, for whatever reason, I lost interest in hunting oryx and, the animal I said I would never hunt, the zebra, became a fascination. I replaced the oryx on my "to do" list with a zebra then bought a plane ticket to Africa.

All are correct in a sense. Thank you Rookhawk for the fine words oryx can be found 45 miles north of the wsmr to 50 miles south into texas. Antelope surround the range on all 4 sides. Rookhawks son was not lucky he hunted. We can not take a trophy if we are not out in the bush no matter the species, money can buy a trophy but I have seen that go wrong also. New Mexico is overrun with guides and outfitters that are less than adequate to say the least but so are other states. I miss the old school outfitters and guides that once sold what they had not what hunters want to hear. I agree African hunts are the most bang for your buck and most African hunts are ran by professionals. Traditional outfitters and guides have gone to the wayside in the states except for a handful of old timers. Again thank you Rookhawk for the fine hunt and privilege to guide you and your son.

All are correct in a sense. Thank you Rookhawk for the fine words oryx can be found 45 miles north of the wsmr to 50 miles south into texas. Antelope surround the range on all 4 sides. Rookhawks son was not lucky he hunted. We can not take a trophy if we are not out in the bush no matter the species, money can buy a trophy but I have seen that go wrong also. New Mexico is overrun with guides and outfitters that are less than adequate to say the least but so are other states. I miss the old school outfitters and guides that once sold what they had not what hunters want to hear. I agree African hunts are the most bang for your buck and most African hunts are ran by professionals. Traditional outfitters and guides have gone to the wayside in the states except for a handful of old timers. Again thank you Rookhawk for the fine hunt and privilege to guide you and your son.

@Mark haynes welcome to the forum! I forgot that you were a member.

We had a great time on two hunts with you. You‘re a very competent guide and a gentleman. We can’t wait to hunt with you again in the future!

Friends, if you want to hunt an Oryx in New Mexico in a high quality area with a no-BS professional, @Mark haynes is the guy.

Sorry to dominate a thread, just had another point to make for the OP.

Regarding frugality - America isn’t cheap. You’re going to spend a lot on sleazy motels, crap food, ice, fuel, and time to go hunt New Mexico for Oryx. The hunts pre-Covid were $4500 so I’m sure they are $6000 now. All-in with tags and expenses, you’re about at the same price I paid all-in for a ten day wilderness fly camp safari in Zim with 8 animals on quota.

Hunt America to hunt America, don’t do it thinking you’re saving a buck or two, you’re not. North American hunting is by far the most expensive venue for most species. Trophy leopard or exportable elephant costs half of a premium elk hunt for perspective.
I am not so much as worried about cost just looking for fun game that I can easily do here in America to prepare for Africa. With that said I don’t want to spend the absurd money that elk hunting demands for so little in return compared to Africa. If I can get on some nice animals here in the US that is justifiable I am all in. Just don’t want to be sitting in a deer stand all day because I fall asleep in the first hour from boredom.

DIY hunts for deer and elk in the Rocky Mountains is relatively cheep. Guides are not required except for wilderness areas in Wyoming.

OTC tags for both elk and deer can be had in Montana and Idaho. OTC elk tags can be bought in Utah and Colorado with Utah having a limited number to sell

DIY hunts for deer and elk in the Rocky Mountains is relatively cheep. Guides are not required except for wilderness areas in Wyoming.

OTC tags for both elk and deer can be had in Montana and Idaho. OTC elk tags can be bought in Utah and Colorado with Utah having a limited number to sell
Do you know anywhere in the states that does driven deer hunts? I am hesitant on a DIY hunt since I really don’t have much knowledge on that area or spot and stalk hunting to begin with. I am a upland hunter at heart

Because of the terrine driven hunts don't work out west. It is mostly spot and stalk

Pronghorn Guide Service.

Pronghorn guide service they shoot some Giants. I would go to Namibia to hunt oryx. You could shoot a truck load in Namibia cheaper then hunting them in the states

one of the two zebra i took in africa.

DSCN8493 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg