Looking for a spot on a Texas lease for son

I grew up in Lubbock and lived there into my early 30’s. Great waterfowl hunting up that way and surprisingly good deer close by. I will reach out to some of my LO contacts up that way and here in the hill country to see if anyone has some openings but as has been mentioned likely won’t know until spring

I worked for the company that owned the matador ranch. They had incredible quail, deer and hog hunting. I know they leased some of the peripheral land out and likely still do. I’d reach out to the wildlife folks at the ranch. If you have trouble finding them let me know, I can try to dig up some old contacts.

I grew up in Lubbock and lived there into my early 30’s. Great waterfowl hunting up that way and surprisingly good deer close by. I will reach out to some of my LO contacts up that way and here in the hill country to see if anyone has some openings but as has been mentioned likely won’t know until spring
Wow, thanks @AustinL please let me know!

Th
I worked for the company that owned the matador ranch. They had incredible quail, deer and hog hunting. I know they leased some of the peripheral land out and likely still do. I’d reach out to the wildlife folks at the ranch. If you have trouble finding them let me know, I can try to dig up some old contacts.
Thanks Bill. Means a lot!

WAB

So I take it you worked for Koch Industries? My dads cousin also worked for them and was instrumental in developing the hunting program on the matador

WAB

So I take it you worked for Koch Industries? My dads cousin also worked for them and was instrumental in developing the hunting program on the matador

Yep, and I have had the privilege of hunting the matador on a number of occasions. My best outing was 16 coveys pointed in 4 hours. In a good year, the quail hunting is the best I have ever seen.

Check with Mike at West Texas Hunts, goes by Mulie Mike, out of El Paso. He does package hunts and has some lease opportunities. All the reviews I have seen over the years are thumbs up. Would not hesitate to hunt with his company.

Another thought, you might check with @JGRaider. He posts here sometimes, I think he’s in the M/O area and does some guiding in west Texas. He might have able to point you to some leases.

As someone who’s also newer to Texas, I’ve been fortunate to stumble into a couple leases. All were Central and South Texas, my personal opinion is most are over priced. My current lease is more for hog hunting than deer hunting. There are lots of day hunts and management hunts that in my opinion present a better value than 95% of leases.

There are some public land opportunities in Texas and that’s where I’d tell him to focus his efforts. Since living in Texas I’ve managed to draw several in state, and out of state tags that are a day or so drive in the last 2.5 years. Dollar for Dollar I think this is a better value for both my dollar and limited hunting time. It’s also why I’ve been hunting Africa the way I have. Reallocate the money I spent on a decent lease in South Texas and it’s a decent plains game hunt. Add in the amount I spent on fuel driving 5-6 hours each way once a month to fill feeders and check cameras and I’ve paid for my airfare. Take the money I spent on feeding corn and protein all year and I’ve covered a good chunk of my taxidermy.

You’re welcome to PM me and I’m more than willing to chat with your son and try to point him in a few directions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you