Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
England, USA: NY, PA, NC, SC, GA, AL, FL, TX, AZ, MT, WY, AK
Loaded question but here goes. Looking to upgrade abs get more serious with bow hunting next year. I’ve had a PSE stinger (lowest model they make) for last 5+ years. I’m ready to upgrade but not trying to spend $1500 on a bow. Looking to buy maybe a 2 year old bow for around $500 that will still be a giant step up from my current set up. I know there’s brand loyalty but looking for some guidance.

I hunt bow only public land in Texas and planning a couple bow hunts for antelope this year. Have all spring/summer to get comfortable with a new set up. Hoping to pickup someone’s “last years model” and save a bunch.

Any suggestions on models are welcome. Plan to try some out at local shop after deer season but may order one online if I find a deal.
Thanks
Dale

I like a matthews I have a triax but I am not sure you will find them for 500. Good luck I am sure there will be more folks will be along soon

Having grown up in Tucson, I have brand loyalty to PSE…I would take a look at some of their mid grade models. They aren’t Hoyt or Matthews, but they do drive tacks.

That said, you need to list what’s important to you and prioritize the order of those things. I like unforgiving tack drivers, some like dead in hand stealth bows. Figure out what you want most and then narrow the list and wait for a good deal. That said, pro-shops are good to hang around to figure out what you like and get deals on used rigs.

Good luck!

Unfortunately I just don’t have enough experience to know what I’m looking for. I know the difference between a $300 rifle and a $1000 rifle and kind of guessing there’s a similar difference in bows. I also assume over the last 6 years there’s been some big advances in bows. The difference I’ve read is bows drop in price dramatically after 12 months and therefore hoping to get a bow outside my budget without much hassle.

Try a Northern Mist Longbow and get rid of the wheels

Unfortunately I just don’t have enough experience to know what I’m looking for. I know the difference between a $300 rifle and a $1000 rifle and kind of guessing there’s a similar difference in bows. I also assume over the last 6 years there’s been some big advances in bows. The difference I’ve read is bows drop in price dramatically after 12 months and therefore hoping to get a bow outside my budget without much hassle.

Go find a pro shop where you can try some is my best advice there.

Most advancements in the last 5 years have been focused on improving the draw cycle (smoothness and efficiency), and improving the damping and noise. The big speed increases stopped not long after you bought your current bow because people realized they wanted something comfortable to shoot. More bows are made with dual cams now, and in my experience those are better bows (prices reflect that also). There have also been improvements in materials. However, I haven’t seen a huge shift like there was from 2005-2015.

The big shift has been improvements in arrow/broad head technology. Rigid arrows, high F.O.C., and bullet proof broad heads are the best way to improve your archery game nowadays.

I'd jump on a Tenpoint XLT model. Tenpoint has the best cocking device's on the planet. I owned crossbows that had to use the standard rope cocker and useing it gets old and crossbows that use moon nocks is a headache (IMO), I'd choose a Tenpoint and not look back.

Dale,
Not sure if you are going to get by on $500, but think if you can save a little bit longer and reach $750, you'll be able to buy a very good bow that is 2 years old. As mentioned here, I also use to shoot a Mathews Triax for a few years, and upgraded to the VXR. There is a big difference in bows that came out this year compared to bows from 10 years ago, but the bows that have come out in the last 5 years are very similar in technology.
As @BourbonTrail mentioned, get to a pro shop and shoot a bunch of different bows. That is the only way that you are going to find a bow that is perfect for you.

Watch out for the bow bug though. There is no cure.

Archery talk has a big classifieds section for bows. I got mine on there years ago. It's nothing special by todays standards I don't think but was a very good deal on a setup bow being only a couple of years old. They lose value quickly due to gottahavenewitis. Luckily compound bows have no blued metal or wood so they're about as interesting to me as a pair of flip flops. Now to get better with the recurve.

I bought a Mathews Switchback XT in 2006 for around $1000. It was a top of the line bow then and is still considered a very good bow. I took a monster P&Y elk in 2007 with it and will be taking it again on another archery elk hunt in 2023.

There are a few Mathews Switchback XT listed on eBay. If the draw length is what works for you, you can't go wrong with one of these.

1640091381622.png

Visiting a pro-shop is a great advise, and you can find a used bow too. But you can also shoot what they have and get an idea of what you like. My son was hung up on buying a new bow, and he had read all great things about this bow. We went to a pro-shop here in town, and he shot the bow. Guess what? He didn't like the bow one bit, and change his mind.

You will find a better deal on a used bows buying from someone who is upgrading like you. Check out the classified section on the archery forums, those guys are always upgrading and selling. I would look into Elite & Obsession bows; very smooth to draw, easy to hold at full draw and forgiving.

As a few have said, get into a shop and try bows out. Find out what you like and don't like and then look for an older model of that bow in classified. Often times very little changes in a couple/few years but the older model decreases in price, especially used. I don't know what part of Texas you're in but if it's southwest, hop on I-10 and head to Tucson to the PSE pro shop. They'll let you test pretty much anything they have and they often have some from a year or two ago at pretty good prices.

What draw length are you and what are you looking for in A2A, other features? I recently took 2 Mathews bows on trade. A Monster and Drenalin, a few years old, but great shape. Both are setup with HHA sights and I think dead force(?) drop aways. The drenalin needs a new string but the monster is good to go. Have a ton of carbon express arrows. But they have the feather style fetching and are sized. If interested, shoot me a PM. Looking for $300 for the drenalin and $600 for the Monster. Both have nice Plano bone collector cases.

Reactions: CJW
I would first suggest looking at premium brands such as Hoyt, Mathews, Elite & Bowtech. There brands how resale value pretty well.

it would be had to just go to a pro shop to find a used bow. Many do not trade for used bows nor sell used bows. That is a hit and miss situation. Talk around and find some favorable mentioned brands and models within that brand. Many times you can find a 2-3 yr old flagship with your price range. Also, with the ‘22 models hitting the market you might find a good deal on a ‘21 model.
Archery Talk has a great classifies section for used bows. I have bought and sold several bows on that website. As always watch for scammers before purchasing. Archery Talk also has a listing of known sellers to avoid.

You definitely need to know your draw length and how different brands differ in proper draw length fitting. Some run long, some short some spot on- just like clothing sizes/fitting. Also find a “comfortable” bow poundage to pull. If you can’t sit in a chair a smoothly pull a bow back, your pulling too much poundage.

Best of luck on your quest. Patience and research will reward you.

'Have a PSE Elite from 1989. I have replaced 2 strings and now it could use new cables. LOL PSE! Don't believe all the other ad hype. Go to a pro shop if you have no experience. Do not subscribe to TV commercials! ;)

Go to a bow shop and tell them what your requirements are. A good shop should have a variety of options for you. This is a good time to get a deal as frequently they are trying to get rid of 2021 models as the new bows have just released.

I just went through the process. It wasn’t easy, and I’ve been bow hunting my whole life.
Loaded question but here goes. Looking to upgrade abs get more serious with bow hunting next year. I’ve had a PSE stinger (lowest model they make) for last 5+ years. I’m ready to upgrade but not trying to spend $1500 on a bow. Looking to buy maybe a 2 year old bow for around $500 that will still be a giant step up from my current set up. I know there’s brand loyalty but looking for some guidance.

I hunt bow only public land in Texas and planning a couple bow hunts for antelope this year. Have all spring/summer to get comfortable with a new set up. Hoping to pickup someone’s “last years model” and save a bunch.

Any suggestions on models are welcome. Plan to try some out at local shop after deer season but may order one online if I find a deal.
Thanks
Dale

Thank you all for feedback. Our season runs 2 more weeks but once seasons over I will be stopping by the bow shop in Alvarado and try a couple others.

I think if you can bump up your budget just a little bit, maybe $700-$800 you will probably be able to find a two year old flagship bow from Mathews, Hoyt or Bowtech. Pretty hard to go wrong at all with those three brands. Remember, you may be getting some add ons such as quiver, sight, rest etc that easily make even $900 for a 2 year old bow a bargain.
Also, some generalities that may help you out. A bow with a longer brace height will generally be a little more forgiving and easier to shoot consistently. Manufacturers design bows with a shorter brace height to get more speed. A 6” brace height is generally regarded as fairly short and will be a bit less forgiving of your flaws in form and technique. A 7” brace height is about average to slightly long and will generally be more forgiving and easier to shoot consistently.
Know your draw length! And decide on your release! There are youtube videos that will show you how to measure your proper draw length. You should confirm this by visiting your local archery shop and get them to set up a couple/few bows to test. Use the release you will be using in the field. If you think your draw length is 28”, shoot 27.5, 28 & 28.5 on that same bow. Make certain you know your ideal draw length and the used bow you buy has adjustability to get to that draw length. Actual draw length will vary slightly between bows and manufacturers.
I would much rather have a 50 pound bow than a 70 pound bow. Ideally I like about a 62 pound draw weight. Generally you can dial todays bows down below their draw weight range, but you lose efficiency. For example, if a bow is adjustable between 50-60 pounds, and an identical bow is a heavier weight range adjustable from 60-70 pounds, the 50-60 pound bow will be more efficient set at 60 pounds than the 60-70 bow will be set at 60 pounds. Trying to draw too much weight is a common mistake. Sit on your butt, indian style, and draw your bow straight back, slowly, no cheating sky draw. If you can do that without straining you are not pulling too much draw weight.
Good luck! I hope you find a winner. Let us know how you come out.

I bought a Mathews Switchback XT in 2006 for around $1000. It was a top of the line bow then and is still considered a very good bow. I took a monster P&Y elk in 2007 with it and will be taking it again on another archery elk hunt in 2023.

There are a few Mathews Switchback XT listed on eBay. If the draw length is what works for you, you can't go wrong with one of these.

View attachment 442991
Switchback xt was my first big boy bow. I miss it, one of the best for it’s time .
I have shot Mathews and Hoyt for most of my adult life and jump back and forth from time to time. I have a 31 v3 now, and like it but not as much as the halon 32. I enjoy a long ata and may upgrade to the v3 x soon.
My suggestion to the OP like many is to go to a pro shop, and get fitted. Even with an older used bow , if it’s set up correctly it will work well in any budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaliaPace

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross