Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Hello all,

Much has changed since I signed up in January of 2021 on this forum. I went on my first safari in Africa, met lot's of wonderful people on this site and now, thanks to AH member @rookhawk who took interest in my search for something truly fine, yet still reacheable, I am now (almost) the new owner of a double. I say almost, because the purchase was made through a bid on Holts September 2021 auction (today) and right now, no money has left my pocket yet and no rifle is to be found in my hands or gun safe. But this will change rapidly in the coming weeks and months.

Without much further ado, here is my latest acquisition, a "forever rifle", one for the (future) great grand children to fight over some day, but for now to be cherished by myself:

An Andrea Scholz engraved Heym 88b light model boxlock ejector double rifle, in almost new condition (had someone inspect in my place), with interchangeable 7x65r and 375H&H barrels. Together with each barrel set are two identical Zeiss Victory HT 1.5-6x42 scopes (+an aimpoint), and (together with some snap caps, sling, and other accessories) , all of it packaged in a fine ostrich leather case. The pictures below are from the auction obviously.

I can't wait to hold this beauty in my hands!

Heym 01.jpg

Heym 02.jpg

Heym 03.jpg

Heym 05.jpg

Heym 14.jpg

Oh my, that is exquisite! We are truly a band of enablers on this site!

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously both of you have excellent taste. WOW what a beauty. I can only dream and drool!!

I agree with you 100%. Joining and participating in / on AH can be life changing. Now you have to post range results and book an appropriate hunt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful!

Many congratulations! If I may, I'd suggest that you invest in a canvas cover for the ostrich-skin case - you don't want that getting worn or damaged if it can be avoided.

Close your eyes, grit your teeth, and reach for your chequebook. Take out the mortgage to pay Mr. Holt's outrageous commission. The initial pain is horrific, but there is only pleasure thereafter; and, with a bit of looking after, the equipage should retain its value.

When you go to pick it up, you might even have the pleasure of bumping into the great man himself. You also ought to be able to enjoy some good seafood close by, otherwise, a good local pub is the Hare Arms, although I don't think it does seafood.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 2.41.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-21 at 2.41.43 PM.png
    3 MB · Views: 217
Quite the find! Congratulations, I’d love to have a rifle like that!! Please let us know how it shoots.

Many congratulations! If I may, I'd suggest that you invest in a canvas cover for the ostrich-skin case - you don't want that getting worn or damaged if it can be avoided.

Close your eyes, grit your teeth, and reach for your chequebook. Take out the mortgage to pay Mr. Holt's outrageous commission. The initial pain is horrific, but there is only pleasure thereafter; and, with a bit of looking after, the equipage should retain its value.

When you go to pick it up, you might even have the pleasure of bumping into the great man himself. You also ought to be able to enjoy some good seafood close by, otherwise, a good local pub is the Hare Arms, although I don't think it does seafood.
Indeed the Holts commission is outrageous at 25%,
and on top of that I also have 21% VAT to import into Belgium.

So all in all, it is quite a bit more than the hammer price. But this I knew and I'm still okay with.

However, I will not be picking it up myself. But rather have Holts export directly to their affiliated gun shop here in Belgium, where I will be picking it up.

PS - out of (very vulgar) curiosity, I am guessing that you have bought it at approximately 1/4 of the new cost? Think of how much you have saved!

You will need to invest in some new big-bore barrels of course, but that can wait until you have paid off the mortgage.
As @rookhawk mentioned it, we calculated the new built cost for all the work that went into it, to be a certain figure, and the hammer price I bought it for is around 1/4th of that. Together with the commissions, the exchange rate and the VAT for importation from UK to Belgium, I should come out between one third and half of the cost of ordering one just like it new. So all in all, still a pretty good deal.

A beauty, congrats !

PS - out of (very vulgar) curiosity, I am guessing that you have bought it at approximately 1/4 of the new cost? Think of how much you have saved!

You will need to invest in some new big-bore barrels of course, but that can wait until you have paid off the mortgage.

I'm not actually sure I'll be able to put larger caliber barrel sets on this Heym action. I believe Heym divides it up into light, safari and jumbo action, with the small one (or the light if you will) having as the biggest caliber a .375H&H. What I could do however is in time, go for a set of 20ga shotgun barrels :)

See below from the Heym price and option list:
1632243257065.png

Absolutely gorgeous. I have been enabled all I can afford, but with a little arm twist?

He paid less for the gun than the cost of the full coverage engraving by Andrea Scholz would cost. Hell, the engraving cost alone easily exceeds the cost of an un-engraved heym 88b.

Buy smart. I told @VertigoBE its not that he couldn't afford this gun, its that he couldn't afford to buy a bad gun. Buy once, cry once. It's easier to suffer the pain to the pocketbook when you know you paid $30,000 less than it cost to make 15 years ago. Buying used and vintage is the way to go.

Congrats again, @VertigoBE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,