Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
I've been following the YouTube channel of TGS Outdoors (with presenter Jonny) for a number of years and have learned a good bit about shotguns as a result. Jonny partnered with Longthorne Gunmakers in Northampton, England to make a custom boxlock O/U for sporting use (2021) and more recently a trigger plate O/U game gun (2022). Videos linked below. Longthorne also makes a number of other types of shotguns including SxS's and boxlocks in a dizzying array of configurations.

My question is how does the workmanship and quality of a Longthorne compare to the gunmakers of London or other top quality houses? For comparison sake I would limit the discussion to the current production of all the houses, because it's not fair to compare Longthorne to pre-WW2 shotguns. Does anyone here own a Longthorne or had the opportunity to shoot one?

https://www.longthorneguns.com/

Disclaimer - watching YouTube videos does not make me (or anyone else) an expert and I understand this. I'm interested in shotgunning (sporting and game guns) and watch several channels to help improve my technique along with regular range time. YouTube is a learning tool and I'm not confusing it with an actual education on any subject. Additionally I have no vested interest in Longthorne other than learning more about their firearms from those more knowledgable than myself.

I like watching Jonny's videos the price seems real reasonable for a custom shotgun and he doesn't push a lot of bs.i have noticed shotgun prices over there are about half of here in the states.wish importation wasn't such a pita on a shotgun.

I have never heard of them.

What Red Leg said.

I recall seeing this video some time ago. Manufacturing a gun from start to finish - in house - is a bit unusual for a small firm and I think not typical of UK gunmakers. That said, I like their guns. But I do prefer the classic English and Scottish guns.

...i have noticed shotgun prices over there are about half of here in the states.wish importation wasn't such a pita on a shotgun.
I have bought a couple of guns (a Harkom and an Atkin) sight unseen from reputable UK dealers and imported them myself. Not all that much trouble really.
Atkin in case.JPG

I like watching Jonny's videos the price seems real reasonable for a custom shotgun and he doesn't push a lot of bs.i have noticed shotgun prices over there are about half of here in the states.wish importation wasn't such a pita on a shotgun.
Looks like there are some on GI starting at just under $17K, but obviously not a custom fit. I'd imagine a full custom to start around $40K. Not sure what Jonny is pulling in via YouTube, but it doesn't appear to be chump change.

TGS is a great show and Jonny is a good presenter. I like the videos he did on the process of having his custom shotgun made by Longthorne. They aren't a big manufacturer and I haven't ever seen one here in the US, but from the videos it looks like a very nice shotgun and beautiful workmanship. The action looks like a Perazzi-type design.

Looks like there are some on GI starting at just under $17K, but obviously not a custom fit. I'd imagine a full custom to start around $40K. Not sure what Jonny is pulling in via YouTube, but it doesn't appear to be chump change.
Big money to be made in YT, I would imagine he can write part if not all of it off as a business expense.

As I understand it, the thing about Longthorne is the barrrels are machined from one piece of solid stock - no brazing welding soldering, etc. And they can make one up in titanium if you ask and have the change. Almost bit the bullet last year but decided to stick with my F3s, Zolis and Faustis. Mainly because I didn’t feel such a uniquely modern take on the shotgun should come with machined leaf springs. My other shotguns are all fitted stocks and just don’t let me down.

Well got to handle a kolar over the weekend at the skeet range what a nice handling and looking custom shotgun made in the USA.and at the longhorn price point .the owner said if u want u can call the shop and talk to the feller that built ur gun. maybe next time Jonny comes over he can visit their shop.

They are very interesting shotguns. I went around the factory about 2 years ago. At that stage they were investigating the possibility of making rifles using the same technology - ie. carving the barrels out of a single billet of steel rather than soldering the barrels together - but nothing seems to have come of that.

I suspect the action is made by Mayfair - it certainly looks like it. As I understand matters, the engraving is by laser.

If anyone from the States is interested, with the current strength of the $ these shotguns are probably something of a bargain right now. They were also pleasant people to talk to, which always helps.

As to your question, how does the workmanship and quality compare, there are two answers to that. The first is that the quality will be just as good as anyone else's, because the design was perfected over a hundred years ago and CNC machining ensures a level of accuracy in manufacturing that was unobtainable by some old fart in Birmingham with a smoky oil lamp. The second answer is that these are essentially machine-made shotguns. On the other hand, so are those from - ahem - and - you-know-who. Those ones benefit from hand-engraving and a nice leather case with a smart sticker on the inside of the lid; they have their showrooms in Mayfair, staffed by unctuous Old Etonians to patronise you.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Last edited:
I only know about Longthorne from the youtube videos, and sure they do not have the panache of any of the old houses, but I for one am happy to see a new company spring up and try to produce high quality firearms. Maybe in a 100 years they'll be still around and our great-grandchildren will name them in the same sentence as one of the old houses.

I only know about Longthorne from the youtube videos, and sure they do not have the panache of any of the old houses, but I for one am happy to see a new company spring up and try to produce high quality firearms. Maybe in a 100 years they'll be still around and our great-grandchildren will name them in the same sentence as one of the old houses.
I hope they still have guns then

I recall seeing this video some time ago. Manufacturing a gun from start to finish - in house - is a bit unusual for a small firm and I think not typical of UK gunmakers. That said, I like their guns. But I do prefer the classic English and Scottish guns.

I have bought a couple of guns (a Harkom and an Atkin) sight unseen from reputable UK dealers and imported them myself. Not all that much trouble really.View attachment 480013
Was it hard to import a gun from the Uk to the states ?

The one I've seen was very high quality indeed with machining second to none. They are probably aimed more at the well-heeled clay shooter than the more everyday market covered by Beretta, Browning and others.

Was it hard to import a gun from the Uk to the states ?
Not really. You need to have an exporting dealer in the UK - which can be done rather easily. Then you need an importing dealer in the US and a permit to import from the BATF. Both these items can be arranged without a lot of trouble...

Right now is a good time to buy - the dollar is strong against the pound, and Brits are going totally to non-tox and many are selling their older guns.

Not really. You need to have an exporting dealer in the UK - which can be done rather easily. Then you need an importing dealer in the US and a permit to import from the BATF. Both these items can be arranged without a lot of trouble...

Right now is a good time to buy - the dollar is strong against the pound, and Brits are going totally to non-tox and many are selling their older guns.
Do you know any exporting dealer from Uk and importing dealers preferably in Philadelphia

Lovely looking and it seems very solidly made. Love the barrel manufacturing concept (all one piece). Perazzi money for a special English jewel, all very appealing to me.
My worry, for use as a serious clay competition gun, is that they don't yet have experience in this market. They say they can make anything "but lighter is better". Hmm..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BeMo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you