Lightweight scope suggestions

I did a little break in this weekend with the pictured V8 Zeiss. I’m going to keep it on there until I can find exactly what I want. This has 9.2mil at 100 zero and meets all my requirements except 10 oz less.

I used Hornady 180 ELD-X Match and 175 ELD-X Hunter. The rifle did not like the match. Although the groups tighten up as I shot, the hovered around 1-2” @ 103 yards. The 180 Match shot at almost 100fps faster than the 175 Hunter. The rifle did like the hunter and I could get decent groups at under 1”. It was constant on cold bore and that’s all that matters. I am confident that this will be a dead nuts tack driver with the right loads. I still need to finish breaking in the barrel and load development.

Choreograph of the day. I used the data to dope the rifle for 3 shots at 500 yards. The shooting conditions were horrific. The wind was 20-25 coming at me right to left at about 7:30 on the dial. I had 2.4mil up and .6 right. I wasn’t concerned with drift. The target was large enough. I was concerned about elevation. The rifle was on. I’m not sure if the second shot was conditions or me, but it was minute of elk at 500.

IMG_0100.jpeg

103 yard 175gr and 503 yard 175gr

I'm not sure what you were seeing through your scope. In the video it looks like mirage was heavy. Between that and the wind moving the target backer I would not expect tight groups at 100. I am surprised at the velocities you are getting. What length is your barrel? Looking at the numbers my guess is 22"?

I could be completely wrong, I just do not see you saving 10oz on the scope ring combo. If you were starting out with a Gen ll or lll Razor yes you could save more than that. Your current combo, personally feel you are going to give up durability. Weight has to come from somewhere, glass and the tube are the heaviest parts. My .02

I'm not sure what you were seeing through your scope. In the video it looks like mirage was heavy. Between that and the wind moving the target backer I would not expect tight groups at 100. I am surprised at the velocities you are getting. What length is your barrel? Looking at the numbers my guess is 22"?

I could be completely wrong, I just do not see you saving 10oz on the scope ring combo. If you were starting out with a Gen ll or lll Razor yes you could save more than that. Your current combo, personally feel you are going to give up durability. Weight has to come from somewhere, glass and the tube are the heaviest parts. My .02

You‘re correct. A few oz maybe. I’ll have to give up more than I want to, to get there.

22”

Yes, it was almost like the 180 and 175 loads were reversed.

I should be able to get 3000fps out of the 175s.

The mirage was bad. The wind was what it’s like all the time. You get use to it…lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hattie05G

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.