Lightweight scope suggestions

I did a little break in this weekend with the pictured V8 Zeiss. I’m going to keep it on there until I can find exactly what I want. This has 9.2mil at 100 zero and meets all my requirements except 10 oz less.

I used Hornady 180 ELD-X Match and 175 ELD-X Hunter. The rifle did not like the match. Although the groups tighten up as I shot, the hovered around 1-2” @ 103 yards. The 180 Match shot at almost 100fps faster than the 175 Hunter. The rifle did like the hunter and I could get decent groups at under 1”. It was constant on cold bore and that’s all that matters. I am confident that this will be a dead nuts tack driver with the right loads. I still need to finish breaking in the barrel and load development.

Choreograph of the day. I used the data to dope the rifle for 3 shots at 500 yards. The shooting conditions were horrific. The wind was 20-25 coming at me right to left at about 7:30 on the dial. I had 2.4mil up and .6 right. I wasn’t concerned with drift. The target was large enough. I was concerned about elevation. The rifle was on. I’m not sure if the second shot was conditions or me, but it was minute of elk at 500.

IMG_0100.jpeg


103 yard 175gr and 503 yard 175gr

 
I'm not sure what you were seeing through your scope. In the video it looks like mirage was heavy. Between that and the wind moving the target backer I would not expect tight groups at 100. I am surprised at the velocities you are getting. What length is your barrel? Looking at the numbers my guess is 22"?

I could be completely wrong, I just do not see you saving 10oz on the scope ring combo. If you were starting out with a Gen ll or lll Razor yes you could save more than that. Your current combo, personally feel you are going to give up durability. Weight has to come from somewhere, glass and the tube are the heaviest parts. My .02
 
I'm not sure what you were seeing through your scope. In the video it looks like mirage was heavy. Between that and the wind moving the target backer I would not expect tight groups at 100. I am surprised at the velocities you are getting. What length is your barrel? Looking at the numbers my guess is 22"?

I could be completely wrong, I just do not see you saving 10oz on the scope ring combo. If you were starting out with a Gen ll or lll Razor yes you could save more than that. Your current combo, personally feel you are going to give up durability. Weight has to come from somewhere, glass and the tube are the heaviest parts. My .02

You‘re correct. A few oz maybe. I’ll have to give up more than I want to, to get there.

22”

Yes, it was almost like the 180 and 175 loads were reversed.

I should be able to get 3000fps out of the 175s.

The mirage was bad. The wind was what it’s like all the time. You get use to it…lol.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,436
Messages
1,576,150
Members
170,526
Latest member
MariePayto
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top