Lets talk Drillings

EDELWEISS

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
US, Canada, Middle East(does that count)
I have had a "lust" for drillings almost as long as my Double Rifle lust, sadly though Ive never "pulled the trigger" to buy one. I think I want a "LITE" Drilling (my term), something like 20ga x 20ga over maybe 6.5x55 or 7x57, although I could be talked into another rifle chambering. Basically what I want is something that is really light enough to carry all day but still be useful on medium game in the Whitetail range. Im not usually a "pretty rifle" sorta guy, preferring working guns over safe queens; but for a drilling I think I want engraving or perhaps relief game scenes.

Talk to me....

Okay........ Soooo ....... buy one?

A couple of thoughts before you do. You won't find one in 6.5x55, but you can in 6.5x57R. The 7x57R is relatively common and the 7x65R less so. You will not find a 7x57. You also will have a hard time finding one in 20 bore over anything. I have handled perhaps two, and both of those were over .22 Savage. Standard is 16 bore. Makes a light and useful gun. The rifles above will weigh between 6.5 and 7.25 pounds without a scope. The only effective way to scope them is with claw mounts. Many that you find will have the bases in place, often without the scope (when our boys were looting - excuse me - liberating - their way across Germany, they didn't realize that the German hunter typically stored his scope separately from his drilling. Hence, a lot came home in duffle bags without scopes). There are a couple of guys in the States who can fit rings and a modern scope to the bases. You can find the occasional ultra-lite drilling with a dural (aluminum alloy) frame. Never got the point. Turns a perfectly balanced design into a viciously kicking little bitch - particularly with shotgun loads.

Guns international always has quite a few drillings listed. Just remember they are the equivalent of a high performance car - they are complicated - and way too many have seen the attention of shade tree American mechanics. I would estimate that half I pick up have some sort of induced issues with triggers, springs, or the barrel selectors. Doubling and tripling is an eye-crossing experience with a 6.5 lb weapon. Any damage whatsoever to any frame screw is a sure indicator of trouble.

Of course the Sine Qua Non of the tribe is the double rifle drilling. Mine has the clam shell lock and 9.3x74R x 9.3x74R over the shot barrel. It weighs just a bit less than eight pounds without the scope and is not for the faint of heart.

Okay........ Soooo ....... buy one?

A couple of thoughts before you do. You won't find one in 6.5x55, but you can in 6.5x57R. The 7x57R is relatively common and the 7x65R less so. You will not find a 7x57.

Are you saying NO to the 6.5x55 and 7x57 because they arent rimmied? I know Ive seen other rimless cartridges in post war drillings.

Yeah, Ive thought about a double rifle drilling, I also have some love for a DG cartridge drilling, perhaps something like the Luftwaffe gun in 9.3x74R; but I think a medium cartridge would get more use--and isnt that the point of a drilling after all?.

Theres a 20x20 Simson (Merkel) Drilling on gunbroker right now.

In my experience, not many. The Colt Sauer was marketed in the US in rimless rounds - they are also fairly hideous with huge beavertail forends and weigh a lot. Sort of like Americanizing a fine British game gun. Simson tried a few as well. But heck, if you see rimless drillings, then by all means get one. And you have already scratched the 20x20 itch. Look forward to seeing the one you get.

It may have been Colt Sauers, I never handled them, just saw listings. Thanks for the heads up though; I always figured a drilling should have a lively swing. If its a "log" why carry it...

It may have been Colt Sauers, I never handled them, just saw listings. Thanks for the heads up though; I always figured a drilling should have a lively swing. If its a "log" why carry it...
I have had a "lust" for drillings almost as long as my Double Rifle lust, sadly though Ive never "pulled the trigger" to buy one. I think I want a "LITE" Drilling (my term), something like 20ga x 20ga over maybe 6.5x55 or 7x57, although I could be talked into another rifle chambering. Basically what I want is something that is really light enough to carry all day but still be useful on medium game in the Whitetail range. Im not usually a "pretty rifle" sorta guy, preferring working guns over safe queens; but for a drilling I think I want engraving or perhaps relief game scenes.

Talk to me....

I will eventually get a Merkel 96K. You can order a new one and chose 20 gauge or 12 gauge along with choices in caliber of .223 Rem., 243. Win., 7x57R, 7x65R, .308 Win., .30R Blaser, .30-06, 8x57IRS, 9,3x74R.

Games scenes of your choice or go scroll engraving only. You can also go with a nice case color finish too. Hard to beat if you have the cash. I'd love to see what Chapuis or Verney Carron could do in a drilling but as far as I know they done make them. Secretly, I also wish Sabatti would offer a "budget" drilling.

I'd love a rifle drilling two barrels of 9.3x74r over a single 20 or 12 gauge barrel, or also the opposite. Or 20x20 over a .450/.400!! So many choices.

I have a Krieghoff drilling in 16x16/7x57R. It has a dural aluminum frame. It is light, handy, versatile and deadly. It does not kick excessively, certainly not a "viciously kicking little bitch" but then I use standard one ounce upland game loads in the shotgun barrels. I just used it yesterday on a grouse hunt. Worked perfectly.
I have owned two others, both Sauers, both in 16x16/8x57R. I would not consider purchasing a drilling ( or any other hinge action firearm) in a rimless cartridge. That's what rimmed cartridges were designed for. They are MUCH easier to grasp when unloading in cold or wet conditions, or when in a hurry.
I have used a buddy's 12x12/7x65R Merkel drilling while hunting in Germany, it was effective, but not well balanced and handy like the 16 ga guns I have owned.
Modern drillings are made in 20 ga, and I would certainly suggest you check them out. I have not handled one, but expect that they may be the best chambering, along with 7x57R for a USA hunter.
I also have a Krieghoff .22 magnum rimfire insert in mine, makes it even more handy when doing "come what may" hunts on our trapline. I have used it for things like beaver and rabbits and grouse. With the Kahles 3-9 scope clicked in to the claw mounts it is accurate and effective on medium sized game to as far as I care to shoot.
IMG_5297.jpg

I have a Krieghoff drilling in 16x16/7x57R. It has a dural aluminum frame. It is light, handy, versatile and deadly. It does not kick excessively, certainly not a "viciously kicking little bitch" but then I use standard one ounce upland game loads in the shotgun barrels. I just used it yesterday on a grouse hunt. Worked perfectly.
I have owned two others, both Sauers, both in 16x16/8x57R. I would not consider purchasing a drilling ( or any other hinge action firearm) in a rimless cartridge. That's what rimmed cartridges were designed for. They are MUCH easier to grasp when unloading in cold or wet conditions, or when in a hurry.
I have used a buddy's 12x12/7x65R Merkel drilling while hunting in Germany, it was effective, but not well balanced and handy like the 16 ga guns I have owned.
Modern drillings are made in 20 ga, and I would certainly suggest you check them out. I have not handled one, but expect that they may be the best chambering, along with 7x57R for a USA hunter.
I also have a Krieghoff .22 magnum rimfire insert in mine, makes it even more handy when doing "come what may" hunts on our trapline. I have used it for things like beaver and rabbits and grouse. With the Kahles 3-9 scope clicked in to the claw mounts it is accurate and effective on medium sized game to as far as I care to shoot.
View attachment 162330
Probably more critical sounding than I meant to be. Had a Meffert vierling for a while with a dural frame and fairly short stock. It was 16x16/8x57R (318)/.22 Hornet. Without scope, which is how I used it on drive hunts, it was very light and I wager would catch most people's attention when fired. If not carefully paying attention - like when a boar busted cover - I would put my thumb knuckle into my right eye with painful regularity. I finally sold the vicious little bitch. :) I too am a great believer in Einstecklaufe (insert barrels). I have either .22lr or .22 mag for each of mine. They create an incredibly versatile weapon.

The default drilling is 16x16x8mmJR

That is perfect, especially if you can find a 27" barrel.

20 bores cost more. Long barrels cost more yet in 20. Most 20s have small rifle cartridges as their trio.

Lots of exceptions but those are the guidelines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlineDu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross