Let's Talk About Vises!

rookhawk

Silver supporter
AH ambassador
Joined
Mar 4, 2015
Messages
10,454
Reaction score
31,039
Location
Wisconsin, behind the cheddar curtain
Media
153
Articles
4
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
Inspired by the awesome chainsaw thread, I thought we could talk about bench vises, another great stirrer of passion and emotion.

In my workshop I have two Chicago-made Wilton bullet vises, a 3" and a 4". In addition, I have an Ohio made original Versa Vise.

The 3" Wilton I found in terrible condition and did a full restoration on it.

What do you own?
 
3.5" MADE IN USA CRAFTSMAN. NEEDS A LITTLE WD40.
IMG_0601.jpeg
 
I don't drink booze or smoke or gamble. The only loose women I chase is the one I inflate. Haven't got past third base. Still waiting for her to say yes.

My bench vice is a heavy duty affair bought from Canadian Tire. Probably made in China. A vice is a vice is a vice.
 
I don't drink booze or smoke or gamble. The only loose women I chase is the one I inflate. Haven't got past third base. Still waiting for her to say yes.

My bench vice is a heavy duty affair bought from Canadian Tire. Probably made in China. A vice is a vice is a vice.
YOU MENTION THE BLOW UP ENOUGH I'M ALMOST STARTING TO BELIEVE IT!
 
Inspired by the awesome chainsaw thread, I thought we could talk about bench vises, another great stirrer of passion and emotion.

In my workshop I have two Chicago-made Wilton bullet vises, a 3" and a 4". In addition, I have an Ohio made original Versa Vise.

The 3" Wilton I found in terrible condition and did a full restoration on it.

What do you own?
LMAO…At first I thought you meant Vices…Lordy we don’t have enough time in the day to talk about those!!!!!
 
The last vise I used was an old beat-up Chinese one in the corner of a friend's barn to file down some aluminum pillars:

AH_Vise.jpg


My biggest vice is a total lack of moderation when it comes to chips & salsa. My tequila consumption lately can be described as either impressive or worrisome depending on your particular viewpoint:

AH_Vice.jpeg
 
A family heirloom, passed down from generation to generation. I have no idea the make or model. It has “150” on the side.
IMG_0971.jpeg
 
This is one I inherited from father-in-law, which I think is kind-of-cool, being a Charles Parker of Meriden, CT vise.
Charles_Parker_Vise.jpg
 
AM Co. Athol, Mass. USA, No.80 -- My Dad bought it from an auction in the 70s. So old I can't find pics online
 
Last edited:
45_800x800.jpg



Bisley Gunsmithing Vise from Lothar Walther, I have been looking for one of these, they sell them here in Europe but they are about $500.

100_xxx_4_0.jpg


This is a traditional German made vise. I have a couple of new in the box ones I am going to bring home with me next year, ought to be set up for life. But I sure would like to have that Bisley.
 
My vise on my workbench at home. It was a yard sale find several years ago.....


IMG_5441.jpeg
 
These are the vises from Ferlach.

The photos from Ulm and Suhl show a more traditional vice like the blue one above.

This is from their website, I tried to tour it but the current headmaster is not interested in a non-German speaking not student inclined old guy.

_mg_6237.jpg

c-weidwerk-5.jpg



c-weidwerk-12.jpg
 
Inspired by the awesome chainsaw thread, I thought we could talk about bench vises, another great stirrer of passion and emotion.

In my workshop I have two Chicago-made Wilton bullet vises, a 3" and a 4". In addition, I have an Ohio made original Versa Vise.

The 3" Wilton I found in terrible condition and did a full restoration on it.

What do you own?
@rookhawk
I think I need new glasses and a cleaner mind.
I thought it was VICES.
I wasn't prepared to list the vices I have and enjoy, night not be printable on this forum.
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha
Bob
 
As a blacksmith, I’ve got a bunch but my favorite is an old Reed 105. If you want a good modern vise and have the cash, the fireball is the cats meow!
 
As a blacksmith, I’ve got a bunch but my favorite is an old Reed 105. If you want a good modern vise and have the cash, the fireball is the cats meow!


 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,426
Messages
1,575,887
Members
170,449
Latest member
MarkusSayl
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top