Less Bearing Surface

jwp475

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hammer bullets have less bearing surface which allows them to be driven faster than other comparable bullets. Easy to see the difference in surface area
20220720_094122.jpg

This is a 225 TSX VS a 222 Hammer. 358 diameter

What happens when they impact an animal? Terminal ballistics are more important to me than feet/second.

There the only mono I think I'd like, I like how they shed there Peddles but the back of the bullet will exit the animal. I plan on trying some monos cuz I just know ny will come up with some bs and make them mandatory for hunting here.

There is a video on YouTube of one of the Hammer bullet owners shooting a Warthog with a 265 Hammer from a 338 Laupa and the petals and shank hit the ground 30 to 40 yards behind the animal and you can the the shank and petals hit the dirt

@Nevada Mike ... I used Cutting Edge solids on a large zebra and a cow buffalo. I have to think something of the same holds true, as they are similar, although mine were brass. Mine were moving at a bit over 1800 fps. Both animals were dead in about a literal ten Mississippi count.

Shot a 160 gn Hammer out of my son's 30-06 last month in SA. 2 Wildebeest, one croc, 2 Warthogs. They performed as advertised.

20220331_094746.jpg

My wife took this bull with a 220 grain Hammer Hunter out of a 35 Whelan. It was quartering and she took it a touch back but the exit location was good. The bull did not require a second shot. We did not experience any meat/tissue damage.

I also took a springbok with a 260 Rem. My hit was low but the bullet did its job and he went down on the spot, albeit after a spin or two.

I am encouraged by the limited results I've had but haven't drawn any firm conclusions yet.

I love them, they aren't something many on here will ever embrace, but I've had nothing fanatic luck with them. I will admit, the sample size is small, but the results have been great for me.

Last edited:
Being a meat hunter I would not use any bullet that ruined that much meat. I do think the less bearing surface is a good idea for solid copper bullets as it may lead to less copper fouling which is my biggest issue against copper bullets.

Reactions: IvW
I'm going to load some 270 gn Hammers for my 375 H&H and see how they perform on these Eastern NC Black Bears.

The need for speed and meat damage has never impressed me...premium grade expander at reasonable velocity in the right place has always killed what I shot at and I can eat what I shot....

Better to damage a little meat then loose a animal. Going up in weight if possible my help tho.
That’s why I love the 35 caliber and round nose bullets. The 9.3x62 with 286 grain round nose bullets epitomize the point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
richardparker

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross