Less Bearing Surface

Most of the monometal bullets have to have the grooves cut in 'em, as they're longer (otherwise, they'd have even more surface area in-contact with the rifling than shorter, more dense jacketed bullets, resulting in greater pressures, undesirable heat, necessitating faster twist, etc.) All copper bullets are longer than traditional bullets of the same weight, as they are lighter per unit volume (lower density.)

'Nothing wrong with Barnes bullets for their intended purposes, and I believe they outsell the Hammers by considerable margin. I only wish they still made the MRX (super accurate, copper filled with heavier-than-lead metal) which they've replaced with LRX.

I have tried the Barnes bullets but the calibers I enjoy shooting just don't generate the speeds that make them effective on big game. Then there is the problem of copper fouling that degrades accuracy after 20-30 rounds. Just not my cup of tea.

Less bearing surface leads to less pressure, not necessarily more speed. It can go both ways. Sometimes a bullet that makes less pressure takes more powder to achieve the same velocity.

Yes this is true, but you can add more powder and or a slightly faster powder and achieve more velocity

Resized_Screenshot_20220301-070817_Chrome(1).jpeg

Notice the 220 Hammer Hunter which actually weighs 222 gr has 1 grain more powder than the 225 TSX and a bit more speed with slightly less pressure

I have tried the Barnes bullets but the calibers I enjoy shooting just don't generate the speeds that make them effective on big game. Then there is the problem of copper fouling that degrades accuracy after 20-30 rounds. Just not my cup of tea.
In some cartridges, the longer copper slugs just eat up precious powder space and result in decreased V, albeit they do penetrate better. A great example is 458 WM 500 gr. Even the 450s are LONG, so shorter bullets like the Woodleighs were the way to go. I too have found them to be caliber-specific with regard to accuracy (a 1-hole .264 and .257 will only print 1" w/ barnes, but in .300, .338 they will shoot all shots touching 3/8"-0.5" groups.) No issues with V as those cases are of sufficient size, and as a plus, if your fav load is 90% case capacity with traditional bullets, it may just be 100% using the coppers (a plus!) Outside of the older, blue coated XLCs (which shot well, but fouled the bore blue after awhile,) 'never had a problem w/ Barnes (and used their CR-10 cleaner to prevent problems. 'smells like an acid.)

Yes this is true, but you can add more powder and or a slightly faster powder and achieve more velocity

View attachment 479493
Notice the 220 Hammer Hunter which actually weighs 222 gr has 1 grain more powder than the 225 TSX and a bit more speed with slightly less pressure
Less P is good, but 2750 v. 2760 fps (with a lighter bullet and higher load in the 10 fps "faster") is statistically equal. Not even statistically insignificant (as it's not the same weight and powder charge.) 'Not seeing the difference between the two, only, if you fall in-love w/ the Hs and need a box prior to a hunt you might just be S.O.L.! Buy in bulk! Nice recordkeeping!!

Less P is good, but 2750 v. 2760 fps (with a lighter bullet and higher load in the 10 fps "faster") is statistically equal. Not even statistically insignificant (as it's not the same weight and powder charge.) 'Not seeing the difference between the two, only, if you fall in-love w/ the Hs and need a box prior to a hunt you might just be S.O.L.! Buy in bulk! Nice recordkeeping!!
The 13 fps gain (with a lighter, lower SD bullet) is essentially, negated. They are the same. I also suspect there could be seating depth issues with the H's in certain std length magazines. The fact that it's not plastic-tipped helps, though. Barnes are long to start with (esp. TTSX which most use today.)

The Barnes weighs 225 grains, the Hammer Hunter is listed as 220 grain but actual weight is 222 grain. 3 grains is meaningless.
The test rifle had a much shorter barrel than my 1885 Highwall which is 28". I can't do more than 2850 FPS with TSX, I can get 2911 with the Hammer Hunter bullet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WinfredFin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!