Leopard Success Rates

As I was going home from my last safari, I had dinner with a hunter going on his 5th leopard hunt.

(He had still never seen a leopard in the wild!)




On my first safari, I sat next to a guy on the plane who was returning from a successful leopard hunt.

The hunt didn't cost him anything, because the year before his tracker was killed and PH was maimed by a leopard...
 
As I was going home from my last safari, I had dinner with a hunter going on his 5th leopard hunt.

(He had still never seen a leopard in the wild!)




On my first safari, I sat next to a guy on the plane who was returning from a successful leopard hunt.

The hunt didn't cost him anything, because the year before his tracker was killed and PH was maimed by a leopard...
Wow!
 
As I was going home from my last safari, I had dinner with a hunter going on his 5th leopard hunt.

(He had still never seen a leopard in the wild!)




On my first safari, I sat next to a guy on the plane who was returning from a successful leopard hunt.

The hunt didn't cost him anything, because the year before his tracker was killed and PH was maimed by a leopard...
My first trip and we're waiting to be picked up by the charter plane and another hunter that was hunting with York at a different camp said that he got his leopard after 4 hours in the blind.....one of the guys in camp with us made 4 trips before getting his leopard.
 
With leopard hunting, I guess you never know.


After I spent two unsuccessful and painful nights in a leopard blind trying to get a hyena, I'll be going for elephant or lion on my next hunt for a Big 5 member.
 
I truly believe that who you use as a guide will have a dramatic impact on your success, followed by where. Both are pivotal to sustained, consistent and high level of success. Some animals to a lesser extent, leopard is not one of those animals as you can easily ascertain from the responses thus far.

A couple/few folks have suggested @DALTON & YORK SAFARIS which I will wholeheartedly say the same. York was specifically mentioned and he loves hunting cats, but honestly, every one of their PHs loves hunting leopard and do very well for D&Y clients.

I have not personally hunted a leopard yet, but have hunted with them and think the world of their outfit, their PHs, camps, and the concessions they have. Dalton does most of the business side of initial correspondence and bookings, but also is often afield as a PH, so he can prove slow at times in responding, but its not for lack of interest, he is just wearing a couple hats and will get back to you.

When I hunted with them in April this year, a new friend of mine was hunting with York and we shared camp for just over 10 days. That was his 10th leopard hunt with York, and he took his 8th leopard on that hunt. What's crazy is he took it on their first sit, and barely 1.5 hours into that initial sit. Part of that is York's experience in waiting to have a proper sense of the pattern on the very old, big and battle worn tom before trying to build the blind. I think part of it may also be Matt's devotion and luck with hunting cats. As a pair, they are a leopard and lion hunting dynamic duo...but even with that, it is still hunting and they have also struck out twice out of those 10 leopard hunts.

I was excited to possibly lay hands on his leopard and figured it would totally spark a real interest and desire for one, since thus far, I haven't felt it yet. Partly because I do not like sitting blings...well, maybe mostly. Matt offered me to sit with him anytime or every time, but we were doing long days hunting elephant, and there was no way I would want to join and have my accidental cough or any kind of noise, potentially impair his success. I was simply happy to lay hands on it if/when he got it and partake in the festivities of the party after. I didn't have to wait long either.

As luck will have it, I will apparently do a bit of leopard hunting this October when I return. Still hunting a Zim elephant, but leopard is on the list now as well. Yes, in October. Word of advice from a non-leopard hunter....if you want to have a successful leopard hunt...also maybe try to do it during the time of year that helps your chances, not hinders it. October is basically the worst time of year outside the middle of the rains to hunt leopard. For me, it was the situation and opportunity that presented, so I am rolling with it. Fortunately, there is really zero pressure in the hunt in regards to the leopard itself. It will prove a wonderful bonus or icing on the cake if you will. Besides, as I often tell myself when I'm about to undertake something difficult, which I may make even harder....if you are doing something difficult, no sense in trying to make it easy on yourself. (unsound logic)
 
If I end up being one of those who do not find success on their first try, I will absolutely hunt again. Trying and not finding success will absolutely create drive to get it done. But I have zero expectations going in given the time of year, and knowing I will want to spend time on my primary target animal. Only thing I know for certain, I will have an absolute wonderful time hunting and searching and with a wonderful PH and human being...cannot wait.

And that is my main point, book your hunt with someone you think you might get along with and maybe even want to share that experience with. And book a hunt with some additional animals of interest, so you have more hunting to complete if you tag early, or even simply bait animals available that interest you. One cool thing with some of D&Y's areas are plentiful hippo, and the chance for hippo on dry land, which quickly yields something like 6-8 baits. The same areas have some HUGE crocodile, which is a super fun and at times quick, exciting paced hunt, and at a time of day where other things may not prove prime hunting time. So while leopard can be your absolute focal, key target, you can still see and experience so much in addition during the times you are traveling around checking and maintaining baits, even searching for additional bait animals.

I too initially hunted South Africa, and while I do not regret it at all, and especially enjoyed my last safari there with my then 13yo daughter and all of her animals...it is simply not the same. Zimbabwe or Mozambique will prove an entirely new and profound experience in comparison.

What I am trying to say, book a good hunt with a good outfit in a good area...you not only increase your odds, but you should have an amazing experience even if you do not kill a leopard the first time out.

You cannot go wrong with @DALTON & YORK SAFARIS and as another member pointed out @DAVE LANGERMAN Safaris is also a sponsor here. I have not had the pleasure of hunting with Dave, only corresponce and visiting at SCI, but he is incredibly knowledgeable, known for success and also seems like a gem of a human being to boot.
 
I have been 2 for 4. 0-2 in Zimbabwe and 2-2 in Zambia. Each trip was its own adventure. But cat hunting is very different than plains game. It can be a satisfying grind of hunting bait, hanging bait, checking cameras and repeat. Initially went 0-2 but when I got my first leopard it was pretty emotional.
 
With leopard hunting, I guess you never know.


After I spent two unsuccessful and painful nights in a leopard blind trying to get a hyena, I'll be going for elephant or lion on my next hunt for a Big 5 member.
I keep telling you Lou Hollamore’s statement to me on leopard…”50-50”
 
Rigby HS in 9.3x62 shooting 250 grain accubonds with a Swaro Z5i in 3-15
 
I have been rereading numerous leopard hunting posts on AH from the past few years. Great information and insight. Tough hunts over bait, at times. Some hunters have early success and some hunters struggle over numerous hunts. (I have been there with the struggles on 2 unsuccessful Alaska dall sheep hunts without firing a shot at a legal ram.)

I am still contemplating leopard over bait in the future. Still thankful, blessed, and grateful that we had success with hounds in Botswana in September 2023, which would seem to alleviate the anticipation, unknowns, and stress of a baited hunt.

Nothing easy in leopard hunting. Much like life…no guarantees. Congrats to all who attempt to hunt the “spotted chainsaw.”

Good luck this season and happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
 
I have been rereading numerous leopard hunting posts on AH from the past few years. Great information and insight. Tough hunts over bait, at times. Some hunters have early success and some hunters struggle over numerous hunts. (I have been there with the struggles on 2 unsuccessful Alaska dall sheep hunts without firing a shot at a legal ram.)

I am still contemplating leopard over bait in the future. Still thankful, blessed, and grateful that we had success with hounds in Botswana in September 2023, which would seem to alleviate the anticipation, unknowns, and stress of a baited hunt.

Nothing easy in leopard hunting. Much like life…no guarantees. Congrats to all who attempt to hunt the “spotted chainsaw.”

Good luck this season and happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
Always sad to hear multiple dall hunts without success given the cost, and there is just so much to enjoy of a dall sheep hunt outside the trigger…but it’s something that’s hard to recognize let alone appreciate until you’ve taken a dall or two.

The sheep numbers have been so bad for the last years and some guides have still sold hunts like any other time where what pockets of sheep exist in areas of unlimited OTC simply gotten clobbered. The last 5 years specifically has just proven sad in comparison to 2020 and before.

Still lots of great rams in the Chugach and pockets elsewhere but so many folks end up hunting the Alaska Range, which I also enjoy, but it’s been the hardest hit from die off and subsequent overhunting. I’ve passed on rams the last 3 seasons, helping a buddy take his first and then just leaving them on the mountain unless I find one that’s ancient and broomed way back or bigger than ones I’ve taken in the past. Then we have a young guide outfit trying to take multiple hunters through the season to same drainages. Sad for those clients and sad for the sheep who sure as hell won’t rebound.

One thing I can see leopard and sheep hunting having in common…which can be said for most hunts. To have a good hunt, you must be in an area that holds at least one or more mature animals of the target species, and more is always better.

Any Dall hunt is a dream hunt…pulling the trigger on one is simply icing on the cake…which I hope you find one day soon.
 
I have been rereading numerous leopard hunting posts on AH from the past few years. Great information and insight. Tough hunts over bait, at times. Some hunters have early success and some hunters struggle over numerous hunts. (I have been there with the struggles on 2 unsuccessful Alaska dall sheep hunts without firing a shot at a legal ram.)

I am still contemplating leopard over bait in the future. Still thankful, blessed, and grateful that we had success with hounds in Botswana in September 2023, which would seem to alleviate the anticipation, unknowns, and stress of a baited hunt.

Nothing easy in leopard hunting. Much like life…no guarantees. Congrats to all who attempt to hunt the “spotted chainsaw.”

Good luck this season and happy hunting to all, TheGrayRider a/k/a Tom.
Not to detract from the thread on Leopard Hunting but I think @Wildwillalaska hit the nail on the head perfectly with the sheep comments and it also applies perfectly to Leopard Hunts.

I’m not rich (very far from it), but prefer the buy once/cry once mentality. If I decide I’m going to do something I get extremely analytical trying to stretch my dollar as far as I can while stacking the odds of success in my favor as much as possible. I had this exact internal dilemma on planning/booking my Dall Sheep Hunt. I looked REALLY hard into Alaska. Price was attractive but as I talked to outfitters and biologists I started to better understand the success rates. Questions about the harsh winters, disease die-offs, low lamb crops and survival rates, unit closures, access, etc all impact hunting pressure and ultimately the success rates. I found 2 areas where I’d consider hunting in Alaska but prices were 10-15% more than most other areas and only 5% less than say a hunt in NWT which carried significantly higher success rates. Start weighing the options, consider a helicopter assisted relocation mid hunt (at no extra cost), or using horses, etc if we’re not getting into legal rams and I could find value in the extra 5%. Weighing all the options, considering the 50% or less success rate in Alaska on Dall’s (much like the country of Namibia averages on Leopard Hunts), I opted to book a year further out, spend a little more, and try to make my first sheep hunt the highest success odds I could.

If booking another leopard hunt, I’m going the same route. No cancellations where my odds are less because I can’t pick prime dates or the moon phase. No areas without a specific density, number of tags, and proven history of success. Buy once/cry once
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,275
Messages
1,570,281
Members
168,866
Latest member
DeweyForwo
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top