'Lee Speed' style project

Tintin

AH elite
Joined
Oct 13, 2017
Messages
1,549
Reaction score
5,395
Location
Australia
Media
73
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Europe
1
Australia/NZ
5
Hunted
Australia, NZ, RSA, Scotland
I'm underway with a project, and looking for a spot of help from the Lee Speed owners here.

I've got a somewhat pedestrian Boyd's SMLE stock set, that I'm looking to reshape along Lee Speed sporter lines.

orig boyds forend.jpg


orig boyds butt.jpg


The cheekpiece and monte carlo comb have been successfully amputated.

removed.jpg


Wrist / grip still needs to go on a diet.

I'm now turning my mind to the forend.

I'd appreciate anyone who is able, to take and share the measurement (A) from your Lee Speeds.

dimensions.jpg


Thanks in Advance.

Mark
 
Well done on starting a Lee Enfield Sporter “Lee Speed” project, I’m sure you will enjoy it.

I have helped several people with theirs in the past.

I have a fair few Lee Speeds & the fore ends are of different lengths, I always thought it was strange, the butt stocks are all near identical (except for Greener) but fore stocks vary a lot.

It would depend a lot on what you yourself prefer & the barrel length ?
 
Thanks @Hedge774 and @Sarg - will be a bit of fun.

Barrel length is 620mm / 24.5".

Hoping to get a few reference points to help shape my preference.
 
Thanks @Hedge774 and @Sarg - will be a bit of fun.

Barrel length is 620mm / 24.5".

Hoping to get a few reference points to help shape my preference.

IMG_4861.jpeg

IMG_4860.jpeg

This is the stock I first had shaped by Mr Slee, he later did 4-5 for me of both his shape & from a original I supplied, the last stocks he did before he passed on.

I added Buffalo horn tip, unfortunately I didn’t have the skill to fit it properly back then (still not) & it stalled because it had been machined a little short inside, it was fitted to a couple of my first attempts at a Speeder copy before I started collecting parts & broken BSA Sporters/Lee Speeds from around the World.

I now have a few original Butt stocks I have collected at great cost but no spare forends.
IMG_4862.jpeg


Unusually that bottom Butt is off a MK1 1888 Lee Enfield with a square butt socket, many say no original Sporters were made on this action, but I have seen two both in .303 Brit as well as this butt.
 
I know I’ve given you the measurements on mine @Tintin but for the reference of the greater AH community, mine is 21.5cm
IMG_0802.jpeg
 
View attachment 798575
View attachment 798576
This is the stock I first had shaped by Mr Slee, he later did 4-5 for me of both his shape & from a original I supplied, the last stocks he did before he passed on.

I added Buffalo horn tip, unfortunately I didn’t have the skill to fit it properly back then (still not) & it stalled because it had been machined a little short inside, it was fitted to a couple of my first attempts at a Speeder copy before I started collecting parts & broken BSA Sporters/Lee Speeds from around the World.

I now have a few original Butt stocks I have collected at great cost but no spare forends.
View attachment 798577

Unusually that bottom Butt is off a MK1 1888 Lee Enfield with a square butt socket, many say no original Sporters were made on this action, but I have seen two both in .303 Brit as well as this butt.
Sensational, also terrible of you as it’s put the idea of a 303 Lee speed build in my head.
 
I'm underway with a project, and looking for a spot of help from the Lee Speed owners here.

I've got a somewhat pedestrian Boyd's SMLE stock set, that I'm looking to reshape along Lee Speed sporter lines.

View attachment 798425

View attachment 798426

The cheekpiece and monte carlo comb have been successfully amputated.

View attachment 798436

Wrist / grip still needs to go on a diet.

I'm now turning my mind to the forend.

I'd appreciate anyone who is able, to take and share the measurement (A) from your Lee Speeds.

View attachment 798435

Thanks in Advance.

Mark
What are you starting with. And to the guys with speed lees wheres best place to look for the ?
 
Very nice @Sarg

Very special you have the last stocks Geoff made.

I'm toying with having a go at doing a buff horn tip.
 
What are you starting with. And to the guys with speed lees wheres best place to look for the ?

This project has an interesting start point.

It is an 1899 Enfield Mk 1*, that was converted to .22LR, by Enfield, in 1910.

One of those 'why not', 'because' projects - a Lee Speed style .22LR.
 
There I was thinking you might be recreating "the ghost and the darkness", and you were actually doing "the ghost in the machine"……which I weirdly find more interesting , especially if you get Scarlett Johansson involved…..
I’ll just sit over here in the corner for a bit and ruminate on my thoughts
Gumpy
 
There I was thinking you might be recreating "the ghost and the darkness", and you were actually doing "the ghost in the machine"……which I weirdly find more interesting , especially if you get Scarlett Johansson involved…..
I’ll just sit over here in the corner for a bit and ruminate on my thoughts
Gumpy
Whats the ghost in the darkness
 
Whats the ghost in the darkness

You can see it was indeed a Speeder by the Butt sticking out a bit, be a newer rifle back then but in the write up he used more than one rifle/caliber on these Lions.

He also would have failed on the trophy pic sit up at PH school lol !

IMG_4865.jpeg
 
You can see it was indeed a Speeder by the Butt sticking out a bit, be a newer rifle back then but in the write up he used more than one rifle/caliber on these Lions.

He also would have failed on the trophy pic sit up at PH school lol !

View attachment 798868
Bullet placement and bullet construction would have shortened the encounter with the second lion I reckon.

The first was effectively one shot through the heart but the mess with the second lion could have been avoided with some woodleigh’s :)
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,440
Messages
1,576,404
Members
170,577
Latest member
TajLing141
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top