Labradar chrony

Luvthunt

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Am looking to replace my old Beta Chrony and am considering the Labradar. Most of what I researched is positive with the exception of aligning the unit with the sighting attached equipment as supplied.
Anyone using this Chrony and what has been your experience?
Thank you

Am looking to replace my old Beta Chrony and am considering the Labradar. Most of what I researched is positive with the exception of aligning the unit with the sighting attached equipment as supplied.
Anyone using this Chrony and what has been your experience?
Thank you

There was a guy at my range beside me last spring that had one. I asked him about it and he couldn't say anything but positive. He cut a straw and glued or taped it on top of the unit. Used that as a peep sight to align with the target. Easy enough, but I'd think for the cost of the unit, that they add a better sighting feature at some point.

I did a comparison earlier this year of the Labradar, Chrony and Magnetospeed.
https://www.africahunting.com/threads/chronograph-comparison.51455/
After having used the Labradar all year, it is definitely my go to. They aren’t cheap but neither is a good scope. You get what you pay for. Besides it’s consistency and accuracy, the fact you don’t have to go down range to set it up is a definite asset, particularly at a public range.
Precise alignment is only critical if you want the intermediate range velocities. If all you want is muzzle velocity, you just need a rough alignment.
If you do want a more precise alignment, I’ve read where people used straws, cartridge cases, metal tubes; not needed. I’ve found that if you look above the sighting V and line it up and then lower your view to straight thru the V.

I use one and have not experienced any problems lining it up with the target.
Next to @tarbe ohler crony the lab radar shows a consistently 20fps reading than the ohler. They run through batteries quickly so I highly recommend a quality external battery. I use one of those automotive battery jump start packs and it lasts well. Once you start running low on battery you will get error messages.
I have not broke the surface of what all it can do and until I become infinitely smarter I probably will not. I do really like the fact that set up is easy and that you can’t accidentally shoot it!

Use one no problem lining it up if you put a straw on v sight just a tiny bit faster
Works great like down loading results onto computer from memory card.

I use one and have not experienced any problems lining it up with the target.
Next to @tarbe ohler crony the lab radar shows a consistently 20fps reading than the ohler.

Higher or lower? If higher it might be because the Labradar takes true muzzle velocity and the Ohler is 10 ft. down range. Thoughts??

Last edited by a moderator:
Higher or lower? If higher it might be because the Labradar takes true muzzle velocity and the Ohler is 10 ft. down range. Thoughts??
Good morning Art,
It does indeed read higher than the Ohler. Your theory may be correct, it would be interesting to compare velocity readings at 50 yards and see the spread. The LR will give velocities in increments along bullet path. With my luck though, I’m going to let Tim shoot through the screens!

I've used mine in various configurations (ground, tripod, bench..etc). I've never had a problem just looking down the notch in the top of the unit and aiming it towards the target. It's been a great asset for reloading and very useful for my long range shooting. You do need to be careful exactly where you put the end of the barrel, especially with a brake. If you don't position it far enough away and either in front of or behind the brake side gas release, it typically won't give a read. It doesn't take long to figure out where to place it though and once you do, it will keep reading reliably. With the Bluetooth App, it's great to have all of the data on the phone to look at and analyze. As Bullthrower mentioned above, having an external battery pack is handy.

You guys quit trying to get me to spend my safari money on more toys! I’ve got to save my money to pay for me and my granddaughter a trip to Namibia and RSA in 2020!
So just stop it! Stop it! Stop it!:(

... You do need to be careful exactly where you put the end of the barrel, especially with a brake. If you don't position it far enough away and either in front of or behind the brake side gas release, it typically won't give a read. ....
Guns&Ammo Precision Rifle Shooter (latest issue?) has an article where Patrick Sweeney keeps cutting down a rifle barrel to see what happens to velocities. He started getting erratic readings from Labradar at 11" of barrel. Moving the radar away from the barrel helped. He said the radar was reading the blast, instead of the bullet.

I bought a labradar about a month ago and love it. Works regardless of light and seems to be very accurate. Doesn’t affect point of impact and I can do my load accuracy testing at the same time I check velocity. It didn’t feel good to spend that much on it, but it solved my problem perfectly.

I'm considering doing the same thing. Looking forward to the replies.
Shootist43
Art
If'n your old to ain't broke don't worry. I just use an old green Chrony chronograph and it works fine for me. C ant justify the expense for something I use a few times a year. I find one good load may be two or three if I'm lucky had leave it at that.
My 25 puts a 100grain Barnes ttsx, 117 grain SST and a 115 grain nosler combined technology silver tip all to the same point o f impact at 200 so all I've got to do is work out for longer distances for the projectiles.
My 35 groups 5 different projectiles into 1.2 inches for 10 shots. I know the velocity of each so can calculate the trajectories for each .
Cheers mate Bob
Keep the old at least we can work it.

Bob, maybe I forgot to mention that Santa Clause dropped off a Labradar unit in December. First it was just too cold to go to the range, and now with the coronavirus restrictions in place, the ranges are closed. Sometimes I think that if it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LillianaLe

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg