Kynoch "Listings For Sale"

Daniel Cary

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
There's a sponsor here who now can distribute Kynoch. That aside ..
Now, love it or hate it (High Cost, Better options, etc) .. When there's listings of Kynoch on (GunsInternational For Example). Without determining how old these 5 packs are, when is it deemed unsafe or too old to use?

ie, There's .577 "missing end flaps, or 4 out of 5/missing one" cellophaned & up for sale.
Thank you to anyone.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.07.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.07.58 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.08.00 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.08.00 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.08.10 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.08.10 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.08.11 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 9.08.11 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
The .577 ammo is about 60 + years old...could be used for practise...might have some hangfires though..do NOT attempt hunting with it..!

The .500 Jeffery is recently made by Kynamco....I have personally shot it in my own rifle and every shot produced a heavy bolt to open...sign of overpressure....very skeptical..will not use again... Norma .500 factory work well in my rifle..

The .577 ammo is about 60 + years old...could be used for practise...might have some hangfires though..do NOT attempt hunting with it..!

The .500 Jeffery is recently made by Kynamco....I have personally shot it in my own rifle and every shot produced a heavy bolt to open...sign of overpressure....very skeptical..will not use again... Norma .500 factory work well in my rifle..
Thank you, that solves that!
That's not the 1st I've heard people having the same problem with Kynoch's Jeffery.

You need to be very careful that you are not buying reloads if you are buying at auction or second-hand, and there is no way to tell. I bought some Wolfgang Rohmer .470 rounds from Holts that leaked powder from the bullet (not the primer); the bottom of the packets were covered in powder.

As for Kynoch, my attitude is that ammunition in standard calibres is fine, anything outside that is dubious:

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/is-kynoch-still-in-business.74028/#post-1034436

My experience: I bought some "old" Kynoch ammo in 9,5X57 MS. It said "non-corroding primers" on it, so approximate date was mid 1950s.

5 out of 9 split cases near the base. I saw the split case on the 9th round (really didn't expect it, just happened to notice it.

Pulled the 10th round, thinking I'd dump powder and primer and make a dummy round. Joke was on me:

There was no powder, it was cordite. Fun to burn though.

The primer was a Berdan primer. I found this out after soaking it for a few days, thinking I would punch it. Ended up striking it with the firing pin, the soaking did work. Still haven't got the primer out, the hydraulic method did not work.

Will still make a nice dummy round, someday...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittneyCl

Latest profile posts

Roan hunt of a life time !

IHC-KB5 wrote on Huvius's profile.
Thanks for catching the Flanged brass - much appreciated!
new updates !

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.