Kudu, Zebra, Oryx - 375 H&H

Do not be surprised if you have 5 shoot groups measuring less than 1 inch at 100mts. I have found Bigger bores to be very accurate and the CZ550's to be the same.

Hi, I have said a couple of times, shot placement, shot placement! I have a .270 and a 30-06. I have shot more blue wildebeest with the .270(150gr) because of the accuracy! You have more than enough gun, if your shot placement is off, enjoy the walk! The blue wildebeest will keep you busy, have helped other guys track these, they go on and on and on.........

I would be not afraid to use the SGK, I know people have gotten 1" groups with them. I know a certain gentleman in Namibia that is quite positive about these famous SGK bullets. Spike knows who I'm talking about:whistle:. He's killed everything with them.

Dont forget African animals are tough!!

Agreed, but shot placement is always king.

I put down a kudu and a waterbuck with one shot each, both dead within 50m, with 160 gr 7mm Rem Mag Barnes Vortex. We had more trouble with a zebra and a sable. In both cases, while the shots hit the vitals, they probably missed the heart. Both of those animals took multiple shots to put down.

of course, the animal has a vote on whether or not they're going to present that nice, easy, broadside shot or not.

Another concept to keep in mind for your safari is having some solid bullets loaded in case you want to shoot some of the smaller antelopes. In that case you may have to go to 300gr. Which is fine. Your .375 is the right gun to take and keep in mind it is great practice and big confidence booster when you get ready to go after buffalo next time!
Regardless of what some people may tell you, you can never have too much gun in Africa.
Regards,
Philip

Agreed, but shot placement is always king.

I put down a kudu and a waterbuck with one shot each, both dead within 50m, with 160 gr 7mm Rem Mag Barnes Vortex. We had more trouble with a zebra and a sable. In both cases, while the shots hit the vitals, they probably missed the heart. Both of those animals took multiple shots to put down.

of course, the animal has a vote on whether or not they're going to present that nice, easy, broadside shot or not.
Classic example everyone runs into when you go after zebra, sable, or any of the bigger plains game. Thanks for sharing that story!
Regards,
Philip

And that is the end of a nice thread. What is wrong with people? This not supposed to be a competition!!!

I took Norma American 300 grain which were their Oryx bullet, and used on every aminal that I shot. I also had Norma Africa 350 grain, woodleigh the bullets and those stayed in the truck. I was concerned about long distance shots with a heavy bullet, but it was not a problem, most shots were better then 160 yards and they all fell. Operator error on an Gembok and had to walk a little bit to finish that one off.

HI, I'm new here, but have lurked for a while and find you guys knowledgeable . What l think the OP is asking, and l think it's a valid question, is if his rifle does well with Sierra game king or whatever for that matter, is it not prudent that he hunt with the same bullet that he practice with. Sure , there will be opinions on better bullets but l believe his intention is to hunt with what he knows best, and can afford to practice with.
My humble opinion is this, go for it son, at reasonable velocities, the game king bullet is more than fine.

UPDATE: Have gone to the dark side.

Since starting this post I have 150 rounds through the CZ, its wearing a 3x9x40 Leupold.

The practice load is Win - 760 @ 78.6 with a 250 SGK col = 3.600. My chrono says this is 2700 fps. This load has been consistently shooting 1.25" when I test off bench. Majority of shooting has been done off sticks, freehand, and kneeling.

Recently picked a box of 250 grain Swift A Frames. Loaded them with WIN - 760 @ 78.6 col = 3.555.
Yesterday was the first test run and first group printed 0.75" groups off bench. Very happy.

Would the 250 A Frames @ 2700 fps expand and do a good job on smaller antelope like red hartebeest and impala? Or would they be too tough for the PG.

My plans have been changing and I've added an Eland to my wish list for my first safari, so I'm planning to feed the 375 a diet of A Frames.

Since starting this post I have 150 rounds through the CZ, its wearing a 3x9x40 Leupold.

The practice load is Win - 760 @ 78.6 with a 250 SGK col = 3.600. My chrono says this is 2700 fps. This load has been consistently shooting 1.25" when I test off bench. Majority of shooting has been done off sticks, freehand, and kneeling.

Recently picked a box of 250 grain Swift A Frames. Loaded them with WIN - 760 @ 78.6 col = 3.555.
Yesterday was the first test run and first group printed 0.75" groups off bench. Very happy.

Would the 250 A Frames @ 2700 fps expand and do a good job on smaller antelope like red hartebeest and impala? Or would they be too tough for the PG.

My plans have been changing and I've added an Eland to my wish list for my first safari, so I'm planning to feed the 375 a diet of A Frames.

To quote John Luyt of Duke Safaris,
"I have never seen an A-Frame fail".

@Rock Rat I wouldn't call the Red Heartbeat small and don't give a second thought too using the A-Frame on an Impala. Enjoy the pre-safari prep its half the fun.

Your swift A frames will be excellent. 375 is a great cal, good for everything. I use woodleigh 270gr ppsn. Pigs, fallow,red and sambar deer, and warthog, Impala, oryx and zebra have all fallen to it.

I shot one of each last year with a borrowed Sako 375; my PH provided Nosler Partitions. Use a GOOD bullet AND remember shot placement is also just as important!

@Rock Rat,

I found H4895 in the appropriate dose with 250gr bullets in Barnes TTSX and North Fork Bonded Cores to be very accurate in my M70. There's not a PG animal I wouldn't take with either of those. The North Forks aren't cheap, but mere pennies to a lost animal.

I got both of these loads above 2800fps by the way.

I used to use a 35 Whelen for everything non dangerous. The 270gr bullets seemed excessive and the 235gr bullets seemed a bit short in length.
Nowadays with the nice 250's available in 375, l sold the Whelen. The 375 is now a true all rounder. With 300-350gr for dangerous game , QD mounts...... You're set

Recently picked a box of 250 grain Swift A Frames.

If for some reason I was no longer able to get the 250gr TTSX bullets, the A-Frames would be my second choice. They will reliably kill everything.

I used to use a 35 Whelen for everything non dangerous. The 270gr bullets seemed excessive and the 235gr bullets seemed a bit short in length.
Nowadays with the nice 250's available in 375, l sold the Whelen. The 375 is now a true all rounder. With 300-350gr for dangerous game , QD mounts...... You're set
Like the 250 gun in 375 H&H - makes it a very versatile caliber for Africa.

@Rock Rat I wouldn't call the Red Heartbeat small and don't give a second thought too using the A-Frame on an Impala. Enjoy the pre-safari prep its half the fun.

Never meant to disrespect the Red Hartebeest. I'm sure he's a fine fellow.

What would an average size bull weigh on the hoof?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois