Kudu Expectations Vs Realities

Many areas in Zim area producing great kudu, hope you get a crack at one. Where will you be hunting?

Some really good bulls coming from Botswana too! Tholo seems to be one of the top producers.

Well, I will be hunting with Wayne from Nyamazana Safaris in June. Leopard will be the main animal. I'm not on AH much because I mostly at work or sleeping. My work place has a filter on their internet that blocks all hunting websites.

Well, I will be hunting with Wayne from Nyamazana Safaris in June. Leopard will be the main animal. I'm not on AH much because I mostly at work or sleeping. My work place has a filter on their internet that blocks all hunting websites.
Good luck with Mr. Spots! I hope I get to hunt Leopard again, hopefully with a successful outcome next time :) I’ll be watching for some pics :D

As an old man, this thread shows me how much I am out of touch with today's hunters. I would go to Africa to drink in the experience, smell the smells, see the sights, and hunt hard. Make a good stalk, make a great shot, taste a good wine, and re live the day over and over. I would never take a tape measure. In my opinion L'Wyck has the most accurate post....as it applies to me........But I wish you well in your quest........don't forget to enjoy the experience................FWB

If you are going European and flat skins you’ll save a bundle and simplify your life having the work done in RSA. I’ve used Niko van Royen (sp?) in Limpopo and Colletts in Pretoria. If you shoulder mount the mount is cheaper in RSA but the shipping is higher. If you do european mounts, the African mounts are much better, on fantastic teal panels, cost is much less, and shipping is about the same as salted hides and horns.

Great information. Thanks!

I appreciate ALL the shared knowledge and outstanding pictures as well.

Joe

I went on my first safari this past June 2018 with Bos en Dal Safaris in the Northwest Province. I was hoping for a Kudu in the 50 inch range. On the 3rd day of hunting we found this magnificent 58 2/8 in bull. Guess I am spoiled now.
IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

Yes best of luck! Round 2 for me also I ll be in Namibia again for Mr Spots leaving Memorial day.

I have wanted a kudu my whole life. It took me two trips to put one on the ground...first trip to Namibia where the Greater Kudu lives was a swing and a miss. Eastern Cape hunt I was successful on the smaller subspecies. My bull was one with tight curls, but was nice and wide. We never put a tape to him and he probably isn't as long as others, but to me he is beautiful. Really wide. I was thrilled to get him. Should be arriving in Canada sometime this month!
191.JPG

1C8B4723-A602-47F7-9DA4-19F5C2AF3863.jpeg
I shot this 49 inch bull back in September of last year and couldn’t be happier. I can also guarantee that anyone that walks into my trophy room is going to say dang that southern kudu isn’t even 50 inches.

Go have a good time and take what comes your way. Nothing wrong with having goals but don’t let it drive your experience.

Pic 4 (a).jpg

Kudu hunting has got to be one of the best experiences.
If I head to Limpopo Provence for a Greater Kudu, I would need to drop at least one of the other animals due to cost.

Trading another animal for it is a no brainer, honestly.

Hi guys (and gals),

I'm getting into the nitty gritty of actually planning and booking a South African Plains Game hunt for 2020. Probably looking at mid to late July or August. Naturally I'm finding out that things can get pretty expensive in a hurry depending on what and even where you hunt.

My numeral uno goal is to take a really nice Kudu. After that I'm looking at three or four additional animals (if lucky) with possibles being some mix between Wildebeest, Impala, Blesbuck, Nyala , Gemsbok, and Waterbuck.

If I head to Limpopo Provence for a Greater Kudu, I would need to drop at least one of the other animals due to cost.

Allowing for what is realistic in term of what I might actually get a chance for: Is there that much difference (horn wise) between an Eastern Cape Kudu at approx $1,500 (US), Vs the larger Greater Kudu found further north (at roughly twice the Trophy Fee)?

Also, what am I looking at (ballpark) for initial in-country processing and shipping fees for a European Horn mount (assume the Kudu). Then the final (paid later) Taxidermy (is that just bleaching?) and shipping to the USA.

Thanks in advance from an Africa novice.

Joe
Joe, instead of giving up an animal inquire with the outfitter if he has some management animals. Especially with some of the less glamorous ones, the blesbok or waterbuck. I’m sure he does. My last day of my safari I spent shooting management animals at 1-2 hundred dollars a piece. Nice respectable specimens. Worn down or broke up. Didn’t matter to me.

Fantastic pics! Thanks again.

To sum it up :) Generally speaking- North SA/Zim and Namabia bulls are bigger in body and length than the EC. Due to the rarity and demand, bulls over 55" are fetching prices $3k and up in the Limpopo (I would argue the kudu capital of the world). EC bulls are more plentiful and have more color to their capes. All AH sponsors will have what you are looking for- no matter what that is :D I think that's about it

46" Limpopo- I wasnt going home without one on my first trip
View attachment 266165

59" Limpopo on my 3rd trip
View attachment 266166
Great bull congrats

Ask yourself this and be honest, will anyone EVER walk in your trophy room and know the difference between a 48” kudu and a 58” kudu?? My suggestion is to tell your outfitter and PH that a big kudu would mean a lot. Then go enjoy yourself and take what the bush offers.

Whatever you decide to do, enjoy yourself, take pictures, and get ready to go back. It’s addictive.

Best,
BD

Thank you sir.

I'd highly recommend Central Namibia as well, specifically Kowas Safaris. They know how to hunt and take big kudu bulls, having taken at least one 60" bull each of the last two years. I've killed 4 bulls with them, largest being this 55/53 bull. I never get tired of looking at big kudu bulls, and hunting them is truly addictive.

My buddy and his son went with me on my third trip to Kowas and they whacked this 58" bull.

Attachments

• IMG_2145_zps4ubdlwym.jpg
    IMG_2145_zps4ubdlwym.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 135
  • P1000565_zpsbe15c04c.jpg
    P1000565_zpsbe15c04c.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.