Krieghoff Big 5???

h.jpg
h.jpg

I am interested in getting a 500/416 NE K gun at some point. It will have a Swaro 1.7-10 on top.

Good choice. I sent my Swaro Z6i 1.7-10 to Heym to regulate with the 9.3x74R on order. Interesting thing is even though it will be there just for the regulation and will come back with the gun the EU still charging me duty for it.

My 500/416 with a red dot comes in at 10.58 pounds unloaded.

Quick note. Kreighoff gunsmiths in PA are great. I wanted my k gun to shoot swift a frames. I purchased a box of custom loads from hendershot and the gunsmiths rerugulated the gun for me.

Kreighoff charges $290 for this service if you supply the ammo. They will not do it with customer reloads. They would except hendershot custom.

There are “nicer and better” guns out there but not for the money you pay for a good used or new kreighoff. The quotes are because it is a pretty subjective description. As we all say the animals do not care if the bullet is going 2,300 FPS or 2,100 FPS and the certainly do not know it came from a Holland Holland or a k-gun.

Good luck with your choice.
Very Well & thank you foremost, that's glad to hear. I missed the call here when the dealer said the factory had shot it prior to packaging/sending. I'll hold to see what they used, Lance is great but indeed sewed up for the time being I believe.

The Heym available was a time piece indeed. Received Photos from the factory as it was to be shipped after the 1st of the year. "There were a few factors I did not like on the particular build imo." And that's hard to justify for all I'm looking for.

Last edited:
A 470/9.3x74R combo would be a hell of a set up.

I am interested in getting a 500/416 NE K gun at some point. It will have a Swaro 1.7-10 on top.

My investments need a little work before we go down that path.

I really like the Heym, but I mostly hunt with a Blaser R8 and having a rifle you can decock for safety makes a hell of a lot more sense to me.

I like Heym as well. Prior to ordering my K gun, I had an opportunity to handle a 9.3x74R Heym that could only be described as an art piece. The rifle was spectacular with the kind of engraving and gold plating you normally see on the highest end products from the British makers. But even that could not convince me to choose Heym instead of Krieghoff due to the cocking safety of the K gun. Having hunted with R8 before, I have a very hard time trusting traditional safety on a rifle I carry with a loaded round. Since the cost of Heym vs Krieghoff with options I wanted was pretty much the same K gun it is.

9.3x74R and 470 are a great combo. With Leica Visus 1-4x24 scope the 9.3x74R barrels’ weight is almost identical to 470NE. Also, with Krieghoff, barrels up to 9.3 or 375 (I’m not sure) are user adjustable, so you can quite easily regulate them for different loads/scopes.

Last edited:
These are stunning! .. I was sent a couple of beautiful stock option Upgrades prior, however, I thought the stock walnut on this 500 was a rare find on a K!

Here’s a link to the post about my rifle:

Very Well & thank you foremost, that's glad to hear. I missed the call here when the dealer said the factory had shot it prior to packaging/sending. I'll hold to see what they used, Lance is great but indeed sewed up for the time being I believe.

The Heym available was a time piece indeed. Received Photos from the factory as it was to be shipped after the 1st of the year. "There were a few factors I did not like on the particular build imo." And that's hard to justify for all I'm looking for.

Here’s a link to the post about my rifle:

Thank You, and for taking the time to weigh the K!

It's a privilege just to be able to consider these options. I do Thank You all!

P.s. That Sako Brown Bear never came in. Ordered almost one year ago

I'm excited none the less, this is a first. It will take a season just to acclimate to a double.

Which one did you end up buying???

Congratulations. I also have a Krieghoff Big Five. Mine, fortunately or not, has beautifully engraved side plates and I have been told that I should be concerned about reflected light off of these while hunting. I have read enough to understand a lot of what to wear and what to do and watched enough Youtube videos to know what not to do and what not to wear (white shorts, pink polo shirt, mirror sun glasses, etc.). Any comments from experienced Cape Buffalo hunters on this issues is appreciated My hunt for CB is in Zim in May 2021.

Congratulations. I also have a Krieghoff Big Five. Mine, fortunately or not, has beautifully engraved side plates and I have been told that I should be concerned about reflected light off of these while hunting. I have read enough to understand a lot of what to wear and what to do and watched enough Youtube videos to know what not to do and what not to wear (white shorts, pink polo shirt, mirror sun glasses, etc.). Any comments from experienced Cape Buffalo hunters on this issues is appreciated My hunt for CB is in Zim in May 2021.
Side plates can indeed be stunning! .. I have a long way to go, if this ever see's a hunt period? If it's still possible in this unforeseen future, I'd love to make it.

I am very content with my .470 Krieghoff....I have mounted a Leupold VX R 1,25-4x20 on it (red dot).. Very anxious to try it out in the field ( Covid be damned..)

Only thing I could wish for are ejectors..
Krieghoff.jpeg

Krieghoff has another Extremely Big $$$ Five. "The Essecnia" 500, 577,etc.. I couldn't imagine where this thing starts. The Essecnia shotguns are in the $45K range however...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.00 AM.png
    7 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.01 AM.png
    863.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.04 AM.png
    351.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.05 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.08 AM.png
    897.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.10 AM.png
    428.3 KB · Views: 79
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.11 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 83
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-02 at 9.32.14 AM.png
    4 MB · Views: 83
I do have another question about these Krieghoff's, if anyone cares to share? as miniscule it may sound... In comparison from a 470 to a 500. I'm sure the receivers are the same dimension .. however, are the Barrel Diameters different on the outside?

Thank You.
p.s. I also didn't know Krieghoff uses Mono Block Barrel construction.

I believe you were dealing with their sole importer/dealer in PA (no issues whatsoever and the gun is presumably new?) 18Kish, but that looks fancier than standard, and then the taxes. 'Used to pass by K's original office in Pipersville, PA on the way to deer hunting as a teen. Sometimes he'd (it was 1 guy at the time) be out shoveling snow or we'd run into him at the local coffee joint and he'd hand out cards and try to sell us (w/ <$500 guns in-tow) Krieghoffs. I probably still have their business card somewhere...But, great people to deal with and it's a fine, less costly alternative to some finer guns in Used form. They have since moved into a much nicer place about a mile up the road in Ottsville. Mom still lives nearby, but that's about 3 hrs from my farm...By now you know you've made the right choice! .470 was a fav of many a great elephant/buffalo/rhino hunter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg