Just in! Ruger Magnum .416 Rigby.

No worries. I like them all and have them all. I have not shot this yet but if it shoots well and don't slap me too hard, its likely the one I would keep if pressed to sell 2 of the 3. My .404 is super accurate but its a No.1 and even with a good pad it kicks pretty good. My .458, also a Ruger, an old model 77 shoots well too, but haven't fired full house loads in it because I remember how much fun they aren't!

The gun is in beautiful shape, They are very nice rifle, I have shot one. Hot loaded it's a little too much for me.

Hot loaded it would be too much for me as well!:cautious:

When loaded to capacity the Rigby has very "fast" recoil.
Maybe not as "heavy" recoil as a .458, but way faster.

I've always thought the .416 to be more versatile and flexible "all-round" type of gun than a .458, but given the specific job on buffalo then give me a .458 any day (or a .500), and make it a Lott please !

On buff the .416 is spades ahead of the .375, IF the shooter can handle his iron.

Back in the day, I guided many hunters who were extremely effective with the various .416 cartridges WHEN loaded properly with premium projectiles. I think the majority of "joe-six-pack" shooters find it easier to learn to master the .416 than try shoot with a .458 and that's why they shoot well with them.

Fast recoil is good, its over faster!:cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Careful how you load it Ses.
I've seen a lot of .416 projectiles that would do good staying at 2300fps or less.

Then again if your going to load the likes of T.S.X, North Fork or C.E.B then
Giddy-Up baby and load as fast as your shoulder will allow.

Plan to load it more or less like a .404 J.

Hot loaded it would be too much for me as well!:cautious:
Ses and Eric. I have owned mine for nearly 3 years. And I only shoot factory ammo. I have always shot mine for 5 or 6 times at the range and then go down to the .375. I don't know how much more recoil a "hot" load would produce. But factory loads are plenty for me.

And by the way as I have told ActionBob, I am completely allergic to a .458 Win Mag!!!

7-8 times is all I could handle. I suspect those Barnes bullets could have killed anything on the planet with authority.

Very nice rifle and a great cartridge. Not sure about the 458. I have fired one and it kicked less than the Rigby, well felt like it to me, might just be the velocity of the recoil. My tolerance with the wood stocked CZ is 16 rounds from the bench considerably more while standing or off sticks. I also found the Hornady factory loads kicked more and were slower than my homeloads, same bullet weight.

Enjoy using it(y)

Very nice rifle and a great cartridge. Not sure about the 458. I have fired one and it kicked less than the Rigby, well felt like it to me, might just be the velocity of the recoil. My tolerance with the wood stocked CZ is 16 rounds from the bench considerably more while standing or off sticks. I also found the Hornady factory loads kicked more and were slower than my homeloads, same bullet weight.

Enjoy using it(y)
Thanks!! I don't think however that its possible to kick more with less velocity all else being equal. Its a matter of perception, but I don't think physics would allow it.

Thanks!! I don't think however that its possible to kick more with less velocity all else being equal. Its a matter of perception, but I don't think physics would allow it.

It is very possible to kick more with less velocity and you are correct about physics dictating what happens. If the Hornady bullet has greater bearing surface or is harder then this will drive up the pressure and increase the force to the rear without increasing the velocity as the friction prevents this. Also if Hornady are using a faster powder this is possible. Anytime you are in Aust, I'll let you try it.:)

I suppose that could be true. I read your post to be using the same bullet, not just the same weight. So the friction thing of a different bullet makes sense, though perhaps as Jack O'Connor might have said about the difference in felt recoil, "one would have to be a guru of heightened awareness to feel it":rolleyes:. As to the powder...? Well. A faster powder would normally mean less powder (to achieve a desired velocity) and powder weight factors into recoil because it is part of the ejecta,:eek: thus more powder means more recoil so a faster powder would not really enter into the equation except to perhaps lessen the felt recoil, unless there was more of it than a slower powder. But again the guru thing.:)

I do agree that powder weight factors in to the recoil equation however I think that the rate of burn is over looked when factoring recoil. To me if a solid turns to gas volume quicker then the reaction would be quicker. Not being scientifically astute I may well be barking up the wrong tree...................................not that I have ever done that before.:whistle:

Congrats mate, thats a very nice rifle, and a great cartridge.

I too have a new to me Ruger m77. The rifle was a wedding present from my wife! Its a 1989 model, as far as I can tell, had never been fired. Mine is a 458 WM, loving it and to be honest, the recoil is not bad at all.

I have the same rifle. Love it. Hope one day to take a Cape Buffalo with it. My son wanted to know why I bought a .416 Rigby, I told him because I could.

I have two of these, one in 416 Rigby and one in 458 Lott. I also have a 404 J in a Model 70 converted from 300 RUM. I shoot Hendershots ammo in the 404 with 400 gr tsx loaded to 2350 fps. I have shot Hornady ammo in the 416 Rigby loaded to 2400 fps and, to me, the felt recoil is considerably more than the 404. I don't know whether it is just the extra velocity, gun fit or what. The Ruger is heavier than the Winchester by a half pound, so go figure. Either way, those Ruger RSMs are great guns. Congrats on your purchase!

That's sexy, I really liked the old Ruger 77 and the Safari Magnum. Had a 77 in .338 but sold it. Not such a fan of the newer Ruger rifles unfortunately, but that's a good score right there!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross