Jumbo hunt gone wrong

yup paolo a lot of things that used to be taken for granted like common sense have gone AWOL in this day and age.........bloody nanny government/society in general !! ps for an eytie your english is great ;):D, better than those upside down people that have been worryingly quite lately :unsure::ROFLMAO:

If you going to hunt elephant with a bow, don't go near any herds, follow solo bulls.

Fritz, first and formost I would go hunting elephant with you in an instant. Just the shear sincerity in your post tells me you are a stand up man. Mistakes were made yes. Mainly by the client and the game department. The fault and blame are on their shoulders in my opinion. The only thing I can say is after the client's show of cowardous a serious conversation should have been had about intestinal fortitude and either shittin or gettin off the pot, so to speak. Probably in front of his chums in camp after he began running his yapper. I've never been known for eligence and suddlety though.

The client was an idiot simply put! Not your fault mister! When I go after a tusker it will not be with a stick. I will use 400 grains of solid Hornady DGS put through a 416 Ruger.
Sorry you had to deal with that guy!

As an outfitter you did your job except for one thing. You needed to make him aware that he needed to be proficient out to 40 yards. He needed to demonstrate to you at the target his proficiency . I have been a bow hunter for many years and it is people like this that do more damage to our sport that any other thing. I am a bit conflicted about "Jumbos" with a bow. Even in the best prepared situation it is a very difficult task. It is the highest threshold of bow hunting. I am sorry for your ordeal. It is a heart wrenching ordeal.

Fritz, you seem like an honorable and decent human being. It is unfortunate that the events unfolded as they did, but in that situation I believe that there was little that could have been done to change the outcome. As others have stated in this post, I would welcome the opportunity and be honored to hunt with you. Mistakes happen, it's what we do with those mistakes that makes us into the people that we are. From what I can tell this has made you pause and reflect and to learn some valuable lessons that can be used down the road which is only a positive. The one suggestion that I would have is that if you wanted your client to shoot out to 40 yards than have him do it. If that is a problem with not only this client but others as well maybe add a stipulation into the contract stating clients will perform a proficiency test out to 40 yards with the consequences being if they do not pass then they can not hunt elephant with a bow (rifle only). Also have them shoot other game with the bow to get an assessment of skills and abilities before doing the elephant. As others have stated though being proficient on a target is one thing, being proficient when within several feet of a behemoth is a whole different thing. If they can't be proficient at a target though there is little chance that will change when within striking distance of an elephant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,