Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
Great round! Effectively the same ballistics as the 404 (which was made to emulate the 450-400 in a bolt gun). Should be a pussy cat on recoil, too.

Custom

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, SCI, DSC, Ducks Unlimited, Pheasants Forever
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zimbabwe
Those mods on the 404J sound delish! Can't wait to see a pic (in a year or two?).

Actually, he should be done in a month or so. I'll post pics when I get it back!

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life, Handloaders Anonymous
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Zimbabwe
Great round! Effectively the same ballistics as the 404 (which was made to emulate the 450-400 in a bolt gun). Should be a pussy cat on recoil, too.

I can easily shoot 20 to 25 rounds off-hand and I still feel like I can hold them pretty close.

I cheated and added a Pachmayr Decelerator pad! And a scope! And a few rounds in an elastic stock ammo carrier. :)

So yeah, it's a pussycat! Especially with factory level loads.

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Update on "Facing Down Fear".

The editor was doing some needed last-minute editing and decided to let their appendix burst!

This happened about 6 weeks ago.

I think the hope now is that the printer will have some books ready to ship by the end of April?

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Another update:

Recent communication with John indicates that he will be distributing his book in the U.S. through a warehouse in Sealy, TX.

Details will be available soon...but I believe there will be a couple ways to pay for the book, which will then be shipped from Texas.

The first shipment of books has not yet arrived, but once they do I will post it up, along with details on where to go to order.

My offer still stands - I will pick up books in Sealy and mail them to members, should the other methods prove difficult. I want to make it easy for folks to get their copies.

Prices and availability of paperback, hardcover and limited edition hardcover will also be communicated once those details are in hand.

This has been a long time coming! I hope to be back soon with more information!

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
Thanks buddy!

Actually, while John really stresses practicing off sticks (like most every PH), he advises against clients bringing their own sticks.

He wants to use his sticks, that he knows are serviceable and that are like an extension of his and his tracker's hands. That way, no surprises.

I used a Trigger Stick on my PG hunt...but John being decidedly old school, I will have to get a set of sticks (maybe from the good folks at African Sporting Creations) to mimic what I will be using in the bush....so there will be no surprises on my end!!

Those mods on the 404J sound delish! Can't wait to see a pic (in a year or two?).

Tim

Tim, when I hunted with John, he (and therefore I) used a bipod with a nylon strap that cradles the forestock, which I was somewhat surprised about. After John coached me a bit, I really liked them and grew into them. The simplicity on elevation change is really nice. You want the sticks angled back towards the shooter, when you can lean into them. If you need lore elevation, you take a small step forward and the sticks (bipod) move closer to straight up and down vertical. If you need less elevation, you move back a little and the sticks are even less vertical.

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Interesting Dave - I have seen those, but never used one.

Do you grip the forearm behind the sling, or in front?

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
I placed the rifle on the nylon strap of the bipod an inch or two behind the front swivel of the rifle. So the rifle sling is folded or tucked back nicely and essentially you have the rifle stock sitting on the rifle sling sitting on the nylon strap of the sticks. I placed my left hand slightly behind, but whatever makes you comfortable and steady.

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.46.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.46.07 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 69
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.46.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.46.04 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 60

tarbe

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Hunted
Also just learned that there will be three price points for the book:

e-book at $35
Soft cover at $60
Limited edition signed in slip cover $250

There will be links on John’s website to order any of the above, and I will also be buying copies locally in Texas and mailing.

I was not aware of the e-book, and I also mistakenly thought there would be a generic hard cover.

Tim

Philip Glass

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.dorper.net
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Asia/M.East
Member of
NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC, Life EWA
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Cameroon, Mongolia, Kyrgyzstan, Austria, Australia, TX, NM
Is John Sharp still running safaris? He was an outstanding PH in Zimbabwe but was getting on in age and maybe retired?

I google him and find a link for his web page but it errors out so I don't know if he is still in business or what.
He was in Vegas this year.

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
I hunted with John in 2015. A friend hunted with him in 2017 and took a buffalo, so he is still hunting.

This is a link to his website and it works fine: http://www.john-sharp-safaris.com/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MutchRhys

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.