John Sharp Hunting Safaris

Great round! Effectively the same ballistics as the 404 (which was made to emulate the 450-400 in a bolt gun). Should be a pussy cat on recoil, too.

Those mods on the 404J sound delish! Can't wait to see a pic (in a year or two?).

Actually, he should be done in a month or so. I'll post pics when I get it back!

Great round! Effectively the same ballistics as the 404 (which was made to emulate the 450-400 in a bolt gun). Should be a pussy cat on recoil, too.

I can easily shoot 20 to 25 rounds off-hand and I still feel like I can hold them pretty close.

I cheated and added a Pachmayr Decelerator pad! And a scope! And a few rounds in an elastic stock ammo carrier. :)

So yeah, it's a pussycat! Especially with factory level loads.

Update on "Facing Down Fear".

The editor was doing some needed last-minute editing and decided to let their appendix burst!

This happened about 6 weeks ago.

I think the hope now is that the printer will have some books ready to ship by the end of April?

Another update:

Recent communication with John indicates that he will be distributing his book in the U.S. through a warehouse in Sealy, TX.

Details will be available soon...but I believe there will be a couple ways to pay for the book, which will then be shipped from Texas.

The first shipment of books has not yet arrived, but once they do I will post it up, along with details on where to go to order.

My offer still stands - I will pick up books in Sealy and mail them to members, should the other methods prove difficult. I want to make it easy for folks to get their copies.

Prices and availability of paperback, hardcover and limited edition hardcover will also be communicated once those details are in hand.

This has been a long time coming! I hope to be back soon with more information!

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks buddy!

Actually, while John really stresses practicing off sticks (like most every PH), he advises against clients bringing their own sticks.

He wants to use his sticks, that he knows are serviceable and that are like an extension of his and his tracker's hands. That way, no surprises.

I used a Trigger Stick on my PG hunt...but John being decidedly old school, I will have to get a set of sticks (maybe from the good folks at African Sporting Creations) to mimic what I will be using in the bush....so there will be no surprises on my end!!

Those mods on the 404J sound delish! Can't wait to see a pic (in a year or two?).

Tim

Tim, when I hunted with John, he (and therefore I) used a bipod with a nylon strap that cradles the forestock, which I was somewhat surprised about. After John coached me a bit, I really liked them and grew into them. The simplicity on elevation change is really nice. You want the sticks angled back towards the shooter, when you can lean into them. If you need lore elevation, you take a small step forward and the sticks (bipod) move closer to straight up and down vertical. If you need less elevation, you move back a little and the sticks are even less vertical.

Interesting Dave - I have seen those, but never used one.

Do you grip the forearm behind the sling, or in front?

I placed the rifle on the nylon strap of the bipod an inch or two behind the front swivel of the rifle. So the rifle sling is folded or tucked back nicely and essentially you have the rifle stock sitting on the rifle sling sitting on the nylon strap of the sticks. I placed my left hand slightly behind, but whatever makes you comfortable and steady.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.46.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.46.07 AM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 226
  • Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.46.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-13 at 8.46.04 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 245
Also just learned that there will be three price points for the book:

e-book at $35
Soft cover at $60
Limited edition signed in slip cover $250

There will be links on John’s website to order any of the above, and I will also be buying copies locally in Texas and mailing.

I was not aware of the e-book, and I also mistakenly thought there would be a generic hard cover.

Tim

Is John Sharp still running safaris? He was an outstanding PH in Zimbabwe but was getting on in age and maybe retired?

I google him and find a link for his web page but it errors out so I don't know if he is still in business or what.
He was in Vegas this year.

I hunted with John in 2015. A friend hunted with him in 2017 and took a buffalo, so he is still hunting.

This is a link to his website and it works fine: http://www.john-sharp-safaris.com/

Also just learned that there will be three price points for the book:

e-book at $35
Soft cover at $60
Limited edition signed in slip cover $250

There will be links on John’s website to order any of the above, and I will also be buying copies locally in Texas and mailing.

I was not aware of the e-book, and I also mistakenly thought there would be a generic hard cover.

Tim
Hi Tim,

Not sure about now, but when the book first came out there was a generic hard cover? Maybe that was just for the Zimbabwe and South African Market. No matter what type of book that you buy, it is a great book written by a true gentleman and great PH.

Lon

Hi Tim,

Not sure about now, but when the book first came out there was a generic hard cover? Maybe that was just for the Zimbabwe and South African Market. No matter what type of book that you buy, it is a great book written by a true gentleman and great PH.

Lon
Hi Lon

Yes, the generic hard cover must have been only for the domestic (African) market.

We surely did not see any of those here in the States.

The soft cover is now available on Amazon....and as usual....is cheaper than purchasing any other way that I am aware of.

We sold a number of books at DSC this past January, and even had folks who purchased books on Amazon bring them to John for signing (which he is always happy to do).

Thank you for your kind comments!

Tim

Hi Lon

Yes, the generic hard cover must have been only for the domestic (African) market.

We surely did not see any of those here in the States.

The soft cover is now available on Amazon....and as usual....is cheaper than purchasing any other way that I am aware of.

We sold a number of books at DSC this past January, and even had folks who purchased books on Amazon bring them to John for signing (which he is always happy to do).

Thank you for your kind comments!

Tim
I bought the soft cover on Amazon. Great book. New respect for Puff Adders...not that I didn't already give them lots of respect.

John found out that Puff Adders say "F*ck around and find out" :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg