Jim Corbett's .450-.400 Boxlock Double

IMG_20150314_110156_999.jpg
IMG_20150314_100026_794.jpg
 
Last edited:
When I heard that the Kieth collection was to be auctioned off here in my home state, I made tge two-hour trek north to view them in the pre-auction viewing. I was elated to find that Julia Auctions would let you handle the items and photograph them. Holding Elmer's No. 5 was positively surreal!!! The photos above are the W. J. Jeffrey Corbett double rifle. Worn silver grey and with blood pitting on the barrel. Amazing piece of history.
 
4speeds4ever, welcome to AH , enjoy the site .
mustve been plenty cool holding onto history , mate
 
Thank you very much! Yes, I was in sensory overload! It was unbelievably wonderful to be able to hold the guns I'd read about and seen in books since I was a boy.
 
I'd love to just hold that rifle and be able to put it to my shoulder, just once.
I was able to at the Julia Auction house today. It was surprisingly heavy, as most double rifles are, but it was astonishingly smooth and well balanced. Fast to the shoulder. Wonderful piece of gear.
 
I'll bet it goes for more than $300,000
 
I was able to at the Julia Auction house today. It was surprisingly heavy, as most double rifles are, but it was astonishingly smooth and well balanced. Fast to the shoulder. Wonderful piece of gear.

Very cool.... thanks for sharing!
 
I am a huge Corbett fan and was able to visit his winter home in Kaladhungi (and saw his dog's Robin's grave), Naini Tal, and Corbett National Park. I would really like to be able to handle his double rifle and his .275 H&H!
 
Corbett's double rifle went for...........................$230,000 this morning. I guess my bid of $7,800 didn't quite make muster on this one!
Elmer's items went for, to me anyway, very high prices. Besides lots of guns there were huge lots of ammo, brass, and bullets, mostly for large calibers (surprise!). Box after box of .577's and .465's and so on. There were stacks and stacks of Kynoch and early Barnes bullets. Brass large enough to use as rain barrels was aplenty. 338/74 die, brass, bullets. .450's of many types, both brass, bullets, and ammo.
And not a single piece of .270 or 30/06 that I could see. I guess ol' Elmer walked the walk in real life.
 
Does anyone know yet who ended up with the Corbett rifle? I have seen a few other pieces of this collection show up in various places but nothing on the tiger rifle.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,570,675
Members
168,937
Latest member
JaredWakeh
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top