Reviews
Reaction score
Website
riflepermits.com
Deals & offers
Media
Articles
Jail sentence for poacher
The armed intruder was apprehended in iSimagnaliso Wertland Park last year.

2015sept11kzn416_29388.jpg

Musa Sibiya from Nongoma was found with a hunting rifle and ammunition in uMkhuze Game Reserve, part of iSimangaliso Wetland Park.

THE iSimangaliso Wetland Park management has applauded the stiff jail sentence handed down to an illegal hunter who had been apprehended in the park last year.

Musa Sibiya (36), from Nongoma, received an effective ten-year jail sentence when he was convicted by Magistrate Norman Nkosi in the Pongola Regional Court on Wednesday last week.

During the trial, evidence established that Sibiya and an unknown companion, who managed to evade capture, had unlawfully entered iSimangaliso’s uMkhuze section on October 18 last year.

When he had been arrested by the Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife field rangers, he had been found to be in possession of a high-powered hunting rifle and silencer, live ammunition, an axe, hacksaw and binoculars. These are tools typically used for poaching black and white rhino.

Sibaya was sentenced to 10 years’ jail time for the unlawful possession of a hunting rifle and nine live rounds of ammunition. He received a further two-year sentence for trespassing that will run concurrently with the 10-year sentence.

iSimangaliso chief executive Andrew Zaloumis said the sentence sent out a clear message to illegal hunters trespassing in South Africa’s first world heritage site, the iSimangaliso Wetland Park.

“Black rhinos are categorised as rare and endangered by the IUCN, which means they could become extinct in our lifetime. The black rhino population in iSimangaliso’s uMkhuze section is original, making it one of the most genetically valuable black rhino populations globally.”

Effective law enforcement was a critical part of iSimangaliso’s campaign to save these rhino. This conviction had resulted from the good work of Ezemvelo rangers under very challenging conditions.

Two more uMkhuze poaching cases resulting from Ezemvelo rangers’ effectiveness were currently on the roll, one for rhino poaching and another for other game, he added

Mr Sibiya was defended by a lawyer from the Legal Aid Board. The Public Prosecutor was Nkululeku Mathenjwa of the Regional Court, Pongola.

SOURCE: http://southcoastherald.co.za/145599/stiff-message-to-poachers/

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep a little jail time for this guy may cure him of his poaching ways!

ten cheers!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.