Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
I saw in my calendar a clear Monday. So, I am doing what we do...I am getting up at 2:30am to drive 12 hours to make a three day weekend of fishing.

Who the heck gets up at 2:30am to follow their passion? No one, but outdoors folks! That's why we deserve respect. Because we are the most dedicated group on the planet.

I can think of other crazy things we do, just "because" it's what we do.

I was wondering if anyone had a moment of insight where they stopped to say "man, this is nuts...but it's what we do.."?

Pretty much every international trip where I am bringing a rifle and have to go through customs.

Or every late whitetail season when it is super cold and everyone is hunkered down inside and I'm super excited to go hunting.

Early bird gets the fish and the deer.

Moose season opens on Tuesday the 15 August. My daughter works on Monday till 6:00 pm, she told me we can leave after work drive 3 hrs, sleep in the back of the truck, get up at 4am and quad in with the canoe to get her a moose. No pressure on dad, this is her plan and I'm to make it happen.

Moose season opens on Tuesday the 15 August. My daughter works on Monday till 6:00 pm, she told me we can leave after work drive 3 hrs, sleep in the back of the truck, get up at 4am and quad in with the canoe to get her a moose. No pressure on dad, this is her plan and I'm to make it happen.
Hard core daughter and dad!!!

I saw in my calendar a clear Monday. So, I am doing what we do...I am getting up at 2:30am to drive 12 hours to make a three day weekend of fishing.

Who the heck gets up at 2:30am to follow their passion? No one, but outdoors folks! That's why we deserve respect. Because we are the most dedicated group on the planet.

I can think of other crazy things we do, just "because" it's what we do.

I was wondering if anyone had a moment of insight where they stopped to say "man, this is nuts...but it's what we do.."?
Any time we get up at 0300 to get out on a deer stand by day light fits your definition as well as anytime we do all that is necessary to hunt in most foreign countries. Any other reason to go through this song and dance, and most of us would say not no but hell no!

For a lot of years I would get off work at 6PM and then drive 750 miles to Idaho to steelhead fish. 12 or so hours in the truck. Lucky to get 2 hrs sleep and fish hard till dark the next day. Used to fish 3-4 days and then head home. A bit hard core perhaps. Long days too. Usually up at 4:30. On the river at 5:30. Start fishing around 6:30 until dark around 6PM. I usually didn't stop for lunch..... Bruce

Yep....I drive 900km (and back..) each year, to reach my moose hunting grounds..

When you buy a raft to float hunt unguided, a river in Alaska that you have never seen except on google earth, haven't been in a damn raft for 20 years. All in hope of getting a moose and not dying along the way! On the first portage(with way to much gear) I asked myself "just what kind of an idiot are you?" The only answer I could come up with is a hunter. Even as I drug the raft for days on end, I wouldn't have it any other way!(except less gear, a lot less!)
Cheers,
Cody

The first time was probably the last season I bowhunted whitetail hard. I looked at the end of the season (my dad and I kept a calendar with notes on deer sightings on his property that year) and realized that every single day I could hunt and wasn't working, I had been up earlier than if I had just gone to work. Spent a lot of time in the cold, up in a tree or in a ground blind. At the seasons end though, I had seen a few good buck, had missed one smaller one (that was a heartbreaker) and passed up more does than I could recall. I learned a ton that season though, and can still vividly recall the biggest buck I saw that year, strutting past at 15 yards chasing a doe but never giving me a shot. I finally ended up tagging a smaller buck that year during our firearms season.

A couple buddies from Ohio wanted to head out to my place in MO for a weekend.

Trouble was my Land Cruiser had a rear brake line rust through and their vehicle wasn't nearly capable of running the trails.

So I took a half-day vacation on Friday and made the 725 mile drive to the property...got in at Midnight.

Put a Coleman lantern on top of the engine (place is off-grid and I had no structure whatsoever at the time) and proceeded to rip all the brake lines free so I could bypass the ABS block and the rear brakes and just run lines directly from the master cylinder to the front calipers.

Finished that up at 0200, test drove the Cruiser to ensure I had brakes, then put out a cot and crawled into my sleeping bag at about 0230.

Got up at 0600, tested the Cruiser out one more time, packed up and drove the 725 miles home. Got in at 1900 that evening.

Just so my buddies could drive the Cruiser on the property the next weekend.

Oh - by the way...they never made the trip after all!! :)

Yes, we are a crazy lot!

When you buy a raft to float hunt unguided, a river in Alaska that you have never seen except on google earth, haven't been in a damn raft for 20 years. All in hope of getting a moose and not dying along the way! On the first portage(with way to much gear) I asked myself "just what kind of an idiot are you?" The only answer I could come up with is a hunter. Even as I drug the raft for days on end, I wouldn't have it any other way!(except less gear, a lot less!)
Cheers,
Cody

That is an epic trip I would like to do!

If the post heading " It's what we do...(crazy!)" is true then 90% of us must me taken to the hunting, fishing and outdoor asylum.

PS if my name is not there let my wife know so she can book me in for treatment.

A couple buddies from Ohio wanted to head out to my place in MO for a weekend.

Trouble was my Land Cruiser had a rear brake line rust through and their vehicle wasn't nearly capable of running the trails.

So I took a half-day vacation on Friday and made the 725 mile drive to the property...got in at Midnight.

Put a Coleman lantern on top of the engine (place is off-grid and I had no structure whatsoever at the time) and proceeded to rip all the brake lines free so I could bypass the ABS block and the rear brakes and just run lines directly from the master cylinder to the front calipers.

Finished that up at 0200, test drove the Cruiser to ensure I had brakes, then put out a cot and crawled into my sleeping bag at about 0230.

Got up at 0600, tested the Cruiser out one more time, packed up and drove the 725 miles home. Got in at 1900 that evening.

Just so my buddies could drive the Cruiser on the property the next weekend.

Oh - by the way...they never made the trip after all!! :)

Yes, we are a crazy lot!
Tim, I understand this story completely and have probably done something similar in my younger years. BUT, in my older years, I would have been pissed, that someone had not done better planning when the buddies didn't show up for the trip after all!!!

Tim, I understand this story completely and have probably done something similar in my younger years. BUT, in my older years, I would have been pissed, that someone had not done better planning when the buddies didn't show up for the trip after all!!!

Well, this was a job that had needed doing for a while. I used the guys coming in from Ohio as motivation to get it done.

I was so glad the job was finally done there was no room in my heart for being pissed! :)

Well, this was a job that had needed doing for a while. I used the guys coming in from Ohio as motivation to get it done.

I was so glad the job was finally done there was no room in my heart for being pissed! :)
I still have things that I postpone doing for no real reason (other than money sometimes), but fortunately not many!!!

On a philosophical note to the OP and all other die hard outdoorsmen, William Wallace said "All men die. Few men truly live".

I firmly believe the die hards are among the few who truly live.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg