Is there any problem sharing a common gun travel case?

hunting4sanity

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
RMEF, DU, SCI, NRA
I will be hunting in South Africa with my brother, first safari for both of us. I know individually you can't take two rifles of the same caliber to SA, my question is if we are both shooting a 300RUM is there any problem with us sharing a common gun travel case? It seems like it would be a non-issue, but still want to ask. Also, if I don't have enough room in my carry-on for cameras, binoculars, etc., is it good/secure to pack binos or cameras in the gun case? Another question, what percentage of shots are taken from tripod sticks? I've been practicing on them often, just curious if there's any point in taking the gun attached bipods, like Harris bipods? I'm sure I'll have more questions to follow, so be patient with the newbie.
Thanks, Randy

I will be hunting in South Africa ..........

is there any problem with us sharing a common gun travel case?

Interesting question.
It (the case) will be shipped under one persons name. I have not taken this one on myself.
I put my rifle in a buddies name on one trip to avoid any potential conflict. (One name, one permit, one case, two guns)
If you are both at the SAPS office with two applications you should be fine. The way I read it.

Also, if I don't have enough room in my carry-on for cameras, binoculars, etc., is it good/secure to pack binos or cameras in the gun case?

The gun case is as secure as it gets.
There is usually not too much extra room in a gun case though. Weight limits can be an issue as well.

Another question, what percentage of shots are taken from tripod sticks?

Lots of the shots are from sticks or some variation.

I have taken very few shots from a Bipod. (Vaalies, a Springbok and a Hartebeest) Just the cover and terrain on those shots.
It has always come along though. Just in case.

There is no problem using one gun case for multiple rifles as long as you have the necessary permit for each rifle and you are all present when collecting the rifles. If you can find space it would be fine to place other items in the gun case but NEVER place any optics in your checked luggage.

In the bushveld I would say that most shots are taken from sticks of some sort but in the Karoo we mostly shoot off a bipod in the lying down or sitting position. This is because of the tall grass in the bushveld requiring higher elevation and the little to no coverage in the Karoo requiring low elevation.

When practicing from sticks, remember to practice on the two legged ones as that is the most frequently used. I have had clients practice on three legged tripod ones (which gives a stable platform) only to then have to shoot from the two legged bipod ones which are not that stable.

I have had clients practice on three legged tripod ones (which gives a stable platform) only to then have to shoot from the two legged bipod ones which are not that stable.

If they are "not that stable" why not get 3 legged sticks for clients to use? Makes sense to me, I actually dreaded having to make a long shot off 2 legged sticks when researching my 1st safari and if I was to book with someone who used 2 legged sticks I would bring my own 3 legged sticks because they are so vastly superior. JMO

If they are "not that stable" why not get 3 legged sticks for clients to use? Makes sense to me, I actually dreaded having to make a long shot off 2 legged sticks when researching my 1st safari and if I was to book with someone who used 2 legged sticks I would bring my own 3 legged sticks because they are so vastly superior. JMO

Exactly, a tripod is A LOT better use than a bipod.

It may depend on the airline you are flying. Below is from Delta's website, which is what we flew in May:

We allow small arms ammunition, in quantities not exceeding 11 lbs. (5 kg) per person, as checked-baggage only. The weapon must be securely boxed and intended for that person's own use. More than one passenger may not combine quantities into one package. See more details/guidelines under shooting equipment.

It wasn't entirely clear whether this was meant just for ammo or included rifles. However, I was going to buy a Tufpak case and put both mine and my son's rifles in it, but, based on that, we both carried our own cases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoraceBrei

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!