Is there an African animal you wouldn't shoot?

Cervus elaphus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunted
New Zealand, Australia
Let's start by rephrasing the question. If it was legal, ethical (no females with fawns or kids, animal within range for your abilities, etc.), of sufficient size, and no extra cost to you, is there a type (species or subspecies) that you wouldn't shoot? If an animal presented a shot and your PH put up the sticks and says "Take him!" is there any kind of animal that would make you look at your PH and say, "No thanks."

For example, some people just don't like the look of the horns on hartebeest. Perhaps you feel that you've already shot too many of a particular kind of animal. Or, in your opinion, they are not sufficiently challenging to hunt?

If there is such an animal for you, why wouldn't you shoot it?
dik-dik. I like plains game skins, deer (esp fallow) chamois, but I draw the line at this dainty little fella. I usually eat what I kill but an elephant would be too much, imagine the backstraps. Not a collector of horns and only use antlers for decoration or knife handles.

CJW

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always liked the looks of hartebeest.

Off the top of my head of what I probably wouldn't shoot I would have to say cheetah, honey badger, rhino, ant eater, baboon.

rookhawk

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I like to have maximum utility from what I hunt and I REALLY enjoy eating game in the bush. I was not at all impressed by giraffe that I had twice. It was so tough as to be inedible and it had a very unpleasant musk. Another PH friend of mine swears that its amazing meat so I’ll have to give it a 3rd try.

On the other hand, I’ve had Zebra many, many times. The trackers, skinners, cooks, and PHs do not understand why I want to eat it. It tastes great, especially as a deep fried schnitzel. It’s an odd taste of its own, but not any more odd than a lamb or goat tastes to someone used to beef.

I’ve heard many times that American Mountain Lion and African Leopard are both very pleasant meats but I’ve never tasted either. The same people that praise Mountain Lion and Leopard say that African Lion is horrible.

Whatever it may be, I do like to get as much utility from anything I hunt. Hides, bones, trophies, meat for the locals, meat for me and the camp, revenue for the local economy, etc. It needs to maximize utility and it has to be sustainable or I won’t kill it.

Ridgewalker

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
The same people that praise Mountain Lion and Leopard say that African Lion is horrible.
I haven’t had the opportunity to eat cougar nor leopard, but Toby458 and I ate lion we took and it was delicious! I have also had bobcat and it too was delicious!

M McDindi

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
There are a number of species I love to "hunt" but have no desire to "shoot". I love to do the baiting and blind building for leopard, checking the baits daily etc., but no personal desire to shoot one for myself. I love to chase elephant and be in/around them but, again, only time I would pull a trigger on one is self defense from a charge. No desire to hunt cape buffalo though we've done the water buffalo cull hunting in Australia once. The list of antelope species I have no desire to take is a lot longer than the ones I do like hunt and shoot a LOT of. I have NOTHING against anyone hunting/shooting any of the legally huntable species at all and fully encourage everyone to pursue anything they legally desire to hunt - just no personnel desire myself.

Reaction score
Articles
Hunted
Minnesota, South Dakota, North Dakota, Texas
Cheetah - can't import to US
Small cat species - might shoot if opportunity arises but wouldn't purposely hunt them
Rhino - wouldn't kill but would green hunt (they are my favorite animal, would be hard to kill one)

Reactions: CJW

Muskox

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States
If I was in the financial situation to be working on a Weatherby Award, I would not leave any stone unturned in the field.

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
I like to have maximum utility from what I hunt and I REALLY enjoy eating game in the bush. I was not at all impressed by giraffe that I had twice. It was so tough as to be inedible and it had a very unpleasant musk. Another PH friend of mine swears that its amazing meat so I’ll have to give it a 3rd try.

On the other hand, I’ve had Zebra many, many times. The trackers, skinners, cooks, and PHs do not understand why I want to eat it. It tastes great, especially as a deep fried schnitzel. It’s an odd taste of its own, but not any more odd than a lamb or goat tastes to someone used to beef.

I’ve heard many times that American Mountain Lion and African Leopard are both very pleasant meats but I’ve never tasted either. The same people that praise Mountain Lion and Leopard say that African Lion is horrible.

Whatever it may be, I do like to get as much utility from anything I hunt. Hides, bones, trophies, meat for the locals, meat for me and the camp, revenue for the local economy, etc. It needs to maximize utility and it has to be sustainable or I won’t kill it.
I think you'll find a greater proportion of PHs in Namibia (fmr. German Colony-Sudwest Afrika) preparing the zebra as schitzel, as it's the traditional substitute for veal or pork, widely availbable and cheap! I've had it. It wasn't bad, just a tad bland. Lion sure love that odd yellow-fatty meat!!!

Badboymelvin

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
@Badboymelvin Why is it that you wouldn't shoot a rhino? (Just curious)

Hey mate,
I dunno, I just couldn't drop the hammer on one. They're just an animal I like and couldn't hunt one. Have no problem with anyone who has/ is hunting one but personally, I just couldn't do it.
Anything else though - is on the cards!

Cheers,

Russ

VertigoBE

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Hunted
Belgium, Scotland, Slovenia
Yeah forget once in a lifetime. I went with 4 guys this past year. It was my 3rd safari and their first. They were studying their lists and asking my opinion and asked why I didnt seem to worried about what I get. I told them it doesnt really matter, just gives me another reason to go back.
I haven't even left on the first one safari, planned for June, and I'm already starting to feel like in that situation. Whatever the list is, I'll be back at some point. So I'll just see on the spot what happens.

Vintageguy

AH member
Reaction score
No monkeys, it would feel too much like committing a workplace mass shooting. Cheetah nor Giraffe, although I recall Selous stating in his book A Hunter’s Wanderings in Africa that he had misgivings about shooting a Giraffe but that it was the finest meat he’d ever tasted.

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
No monkeys, it would feel too much like committing a workplace mass shooting. Cheetah nor Giraffe, although I recall Selous stating in his book A Hunter’s Wanderings in Africa that he had misgivings about shooting a Giraffe but that it was the finest meat he’d ever tasted.
Opposite could be true as well. Mad at co-workers? Instead of committing workplace shooting go shoot bunch of monkeys. :ROFLMAO:

PARA45

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunted
South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
None of the tiny ten, not interested. I like elephants too much, not sure if I could bring my self on pulling the trigger. My wife said flat out no giraffe, but everything is game. LOL!!!!

Kevin Peacocke

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Cleveland Gun Club
Hunted
Zimbabwe, SouthAfrica
Not honey badger, elaphant, small cats especially genet. Ant bear. All of the antelope are fair game, except the littlt tiny ones and the klip springer because it pairs for life.

WilhelmM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
Cheetah, they remind me too much of the average house cat.

BWH

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Ducks Unlimited, Texas Trophy Hunters, Trout Unlimited, SCI, DSC & NRA
Hunted
USA & RSA
I've passed on Giraffe, African Wild Cats (feral house cat) & various other creatures.

Rule 303

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Zimbabwe & Namibia
Wait until a mob of monkeys invade your camp, I am sure you will think differently.

Giraffe is the best eating meat I have ever had, followed by Zebra.

WilhelmM

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
SA
Wait until a mob of monkeys invade your camp, I am sure you will think differently.

Giraffe is the best eating meat I have ever had, followed by Zebra.
This is true. Even though I have ZERO desire to shoot monkeys or any sort of primate, it's not hard to realize why they're so despised by farmers.

IvW

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
BASA, CHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Namibia,Zambia
Not honey badger, elaphant, small cats especially genet. Ant bear. All of the antelope are fair game, except the littlt tiny ones and the klip springer because it pairs for life.
Not quite true same as steinbuck.....only pairs for life until something happens to the better half.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MargaretFr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

degoins wrote on Treemantwo's profile.
I have a like new VC .450 I might part with. I had it built in 2013 and it has served me well. Also have a VC fitted leather trunk case for it along with the plastic case it came with. I'll take 14000 for all of it.
Matt W wrote on Jody's profile.
Hi Jody,
I have been looking for ideas on the best way to display my European mounts from Africa. I came across some of your shield work and was wondering if you would be willing to make one for me? If so, please let me know the cost. I like the shield with the two spears that you built for a member years ago. Thanks.
cal pappas wrote on Mnelson2's profile.
Nelson. Is this message a PM format. I want to send you my email, but don't know if this is the cirrect way to do it. I'm at <pappas@mtaonline.net> Send me an email with your phone and I will call you about a skull I have. I went to school in Boston and am from Bernardston in the west part of the state. Moved to Alaska in 1984 adn never looked back.
BeeMaa wrote on Justbryan's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. He was a pleasure to do business with.
BeeMaa wrote on 375Fox's profile.
Sold a Blaser scope mount to him. Was a pleasure to do business with.