Is there an African animal you wouldn't shoot?

Doug Hamilton

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Mule Deer Foundation, RMEF, SCI
Hunted
Zimbabwe, US, Canada
Let's start by rephrasing the question. If it was legal, ethical (no females with fawns or kids, animal within range for your abilities, etc.), of sufficient size, and no extra cost to you, is there a type (species or subspecies) that you wouldn't shoot? If an animal presented a shot and your PH put up the sticks and says "Take him!" is there any kind of animal that would make you look at your PH and say, "No thanks."

For example, some people just don't like the look of the horns on hartebeest. Perhaps you feel that you've already shot too many of a particular kind of animal. Or, in your opinion, they are not sufficiently challenging to hunt?

If there is such an animal for you, why wouldn't you shoot it?
I like watching giraffes, but they don't seem to be too much of a challenge as a hunt. Just not interested. Hartebeast, too ugly. Other than that, I'm pretty much open. And if anything wants to bring a fight to me, they're going to have a very bad day.

375Fox

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Zambia, Namibia, South Africa
I’m surprised by a lot of the answers on this thread. For me, I can’t bring myself to take a klipspringer, just too unique of an animal, and always seem to be in pairs. I also have zero interest in taking any color variants (golden wildebeest, golden gemsbok, black impala, etc)

rcarpenter

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
North American Falconers Association
I don't think I could shoot an Elephant, or any of the Great Apes. The intelligence and the emotional connections that they form are too human for me. Or anything that's threatened with extinction (such are Rinos).

I did recently learn about darting hunts, and I wouldn't have a problem with doing that with any species.

mikecatt13

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
When I orginally saw this thread I thought my answer was "ummm....nope. some I dont have a high interest in but wouldnt classify as wouldnt if opportunity presented". BUT as far as game animals go, common and less so, a definite no for me African wild cat...simply love my house cats too much, they're family lol

spoonieduck

AH veteran
Reaction score
Gorillas and chimps are illegal everywhere so I wouldn't shoot one and have no interest in shooting one. But what if these things were so abundant that they were hanging from every bush in Africa and maybe Asia? What if they were not only legal but all the governments put bounties on their heads, believing that they would rise up and conquer Europe? My attitude would likely change. I told myself I'd never shoot a mountain lion when one showed up stalking deer. Sure enough, I shot it. Then again my very earliest memories are throwing small rocks at sparrows. I never got one but I never gave up trying.

yidava25

AH member
Reaction score
I killed an anteater of some kind many years ago and immediately regretted it, so no more of those or anything similar like an aardvark.
As far as the "normal" game animals, I'd be least interested in the black wildebeest. Not that I have any moral objections, they just look icky and I wouldn't really want it in my trophy room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorganLock

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

raamw wrote on neckdeep's profile.
Supply your address so I can get shipping Paypal Friend (no ) fee) is fine
Viral_SIGness wrote on Rifle57's profile.
Great person to deal with. Fast communication and quick shipper!
Sarg wrote on Philippe's profile.
Hello Philippe, did you get my PM that I sent you earlier ?

Regards Mark
raamw wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Can you advise me to properly post pix, sometimes I get it right sometimes not
Tokoloshe Safaris wrote on Milan's profile.
I do not know where this video was posted, but I would very much like to see it.