Is it worth getting a 375?

rdog:
It's never too late to get another .375 H and H. If you still have one of those cartridges or can get one, slowly run the cartridge through your hands, caressing it through your fingers as you go. Soon the temptation will be too great and you'll be soon looking for a rifle. LOL Maybe Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen can help you locate one in OZ?
@CoElkHunter
I had a nice new magnum Mauser action lined up for him for 600 dollars but he declined.
Bob

Yes i am very weak resisting the urge for a new rifle but ,I probably will need a new wife to, that is if i have any money left or she does not kill me!. i have an old biscuit tin of left over cartridges of rifles i once owned , 340 Weatherby. 416 taylor, 458 Win, 444 Marlin. 375 Win 7mm Remington Mag, 375 H&H i will go & find the tin & get out the 375 & put it in my bed side draw.:rolleyes:
.416 Taylor you say? I have one but could always use some more cartridges. Mail them to Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen in a jar of Vegemite and he can then mail them to me in a fruitcake for next Christmas. Let me know what you want for them?

5412768445d2a9f7283a265dac8c973d75dcaf42.jpg

Ugh.... Tasted worse than it looked. Taste buds must be upside down too!

375 Holland and Holland Magnum: Unique, one of a kind, has it's own niche, has provenance, classic, proven, much sought after, cherished. Need I continue? If you are not convinced, you desperately require counseling.
Newboomer,
Are you describing the .375 H and H cartridge or your own biography? LOL

The fun part is shooting at the range off sticks between guys with sand bagged 5.56 black guns. The muzzle blast destroys their groups and causes them too flinch. Hahaha. The best part is you will notice their spotting scopes trained on your target. Make you grin within knowing they are looking at your 2” group.

.416 Taylor you say? I have one but could always use some more cartridges. Mail them to Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen in a jar of Vegemite and he can then mail them to me in a fruitcake for next Christmas. Let me know what you want for them?
I the mid 1990s i purchased a new Ruger 77 mk1 458 Win i could not get it to feed to my satisfaction & the recoil was high, so i got a Douglas 416 blank & had Alan Swan contour it to the Ruger profile re used sights & barrel band and chamber it for 416 Taylor I can remember the reamer gauges & Redding dies cost about $400 at the time it feeding problems solved recoil not i shot many a pig with Taipan 350
grain bullets this was before the digital camera i have many 35 mm photos of them got the hots for a other rifle & sold it i often see the man who brought it. i only have 1 round left for my collection.
IMG_1274.JPG

Just interested as to why you would feel more comfortable to use a 375 than a 300 on a croc?..
I don't want to derail the thread, however the OP has hopefully already swiped his card...

To answer your question, in the back of my mind its a "bigger = better" issue. That being said, I don't have experience with croc.

I the mid 1990s i purchased a new Ruger 77 mk1 458 Win i could not get it to feed to my satisfaction & the recoil was high, so i got a Douglas 416 blank & had Alan Swan contour it to the Ruger profile re used sights & barrel band and chamber it for 416 Taylor I can remember the reamer gauges & Redding dies cost about $400 at the time it feeding problems solved recoil not i shot many a pig with Taipan 350
grain bullets this was before the digital camera i have many 35 mm photos of them got the hots for a other rifle & sold it i often see the man who brought it. i only have 1 round left for my collection.View attachment 447817
@rdog
Reloading is an acceptable part of hunting and shooting now.
You can come out of the closet now and proudly shout I'M A RELOADER and be proud. It's your choice.
Bob

I just went through the same thoughts. Then my wife wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas. Oh, a 375 I said. I need an elephant gun although I have never hunted DG. The local gun shop thought it would take a year to get in. In 2 weeks my new browning arrived. I have been enjoying reloading and a little range time between snow storms. It’s so worth it.
I call .375H&H an Elephant gun and I have never hunted dangerous game. I hope too.
You have snow, do you have Bears?
That's why i ask on an African hunting forum, as all logic dictates that i Don't need one, but i am using the forum to justify the WANT
My first thought is "are you a bonafide member?"

Don't let anyone talk you out of it, if you want it go get it. I do have fun shooting mine

Fruitcakes, the pair of you.

Edit, lol

I don't know CEH but I reckon Bob's as mad as a cut snake

@rdog
Reloading is an acceptable part of hunting and shooting now.
You can come out of the closet now and proudly shout I'M A RELOADER and be proud. It's your choice.
Bob

Are RELOADERS that create new and different calibers still called WILDCATTERS or are they now known as TRANSLOADERS? Asking for a friend.

I call .375H&H an Elephant gun and I have never hunted dangerous game. I hope too.
You have snow, do you have Bears?

My first thought is "are you a bonafide member?"

Don't let anyone talk you out of it, if you want it go get it. I do have fun shooting mine

Fruitcakes, the pair of you.

Edit, lol

I don't know CEH but I reckon Bob's as mad as a cut snake
@CBH Australia
You forgot silly as a wheel to go with it, plus an avid hater of the 243s.
Bob

Are RELOADERS that create new and different calibers still called WILDCATTERS or are they now known as TRANSLOADERS? Asking for a friend.
@375 Ruger Fan
Wildcatters are still wildcatters mate but the are also reloaders. Yes we still chase that imaginary gap in cartridge performance. It is getting harder to be a wildcatter with factories introducing a new cartridge almost every other day but we still do it.
Bob

@375 Ruger Fan
Wildcatters are still wildcatters mate but the are also reloaders. Yes we still chase that imaginary gap in cartridge performance. It is getting harder to be a wildcatter with factories introducing a new cartridge almost every other day but we still do it.
Bob
So are you saying you are a Transloader Bob?

It's ok , that will be acceptable at the Priscilla Broken Heel festival, trans is a thing there.

We need to develop a Wildcat .243, maybe based on Townsend's .30-243 Epps, Whelen, Newton case. Or is that still in the closet?

Just asking for a freind who has 6mm Nosler 95gn Ballistic Tip projectiles on hand.

So are you saying you are a Transloader Bob?

It's ok , that will be acceptable at the Priscilla Broken Heel festival, trans is a thing there.

We need to develop a Wildcat .243, maybe based on Townsend's .30-243 Epps, Whelen, Newton case. Or is that still in the closet?

Just asking for a freind who has 6mm Nosler 95gn Ballistic Tip projectiles on hand.
CBH,
Bob has to finish his namesake wildcat first on his Arisaka 99. The .35 BNE. Banzai Nelson Express. A 7.7 Japanese case necked up to .35. Then he can go onto other projects. One project at a time!
CEH

Newboomer,
Are you describing the .375 H and H cartridge or your own biography? LOL
375H&H. I don't fit any of those characteristics.

.375 was my first ever African hunting rifle purchased new in 1984, a Whitworth Express, still have it and after many rounds down the tube it still shoots just fine.
A good .375 is not a need or a want: its a must have.

Somehow I managed to reach retirement age and kill a satisfactory variety and volume of 4 footed game without either one of the most discussed African calibers. ( .375 anything and .458 Win Mag. )
So I get to hit the sack while the debate and war stories rage on into the night.
Just lucky , I guess.

CEH,
Feels like Colorado in my part of Texas today, down around 20 degrees tonight and I forgot to put the tank heater in the horse trough. Reckon doing that tomorrow will have to do as winter is just getting started here. Plus they have their winter coats and they have access to the barn.
Adios

CBH,
Bob has to finish his namesake wildcat first on his Arisaka 99. The .35 BNE. Banzai Nelson Express. A 7.7 Japanese case necked up to .35. Then he can go onto other projects. One project at a time!
CEH
May be we could approach the Reloading equipment company's, to sponsor the Transloader movement,& package their products in Rainbow colors, & Bob could be the president & dress up his garden with pink flags stuck in his 243 barrels.

Elton, have you figured it out yet? What are you WAITING FOR??
@shootist43 i have. Started looking at some Zastava 375, mind is set on a 375, now its just a question of the right price and obviously the legal battle. Buying a firearm in South Africa is almost as hard as getting my wife to apologize when i prove her wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg