Is it worth getting a 375?

I've been toying with the same idea.... In my case I have a 404 Jeff, which ticks some of the DG boxes. I also have a 300WM, and it would feel like a waste to have all three, however the legal minimums come into play with game such as leopard in SA. I would also feel more comfortable shooting a croc with a 375 rather than a 300WM.

Buy the gun, you only live once...

Just interested as to why you would feel more comfortable to use a 375 than a 300 on a croc?..

Let the fun begin

Ok in all seriousness, i am considering getting a 375, why? I don't know hence the the question. Some applicable information. I am not planning on hunting DG now or in the future as it just doesn't make sense in a financial point of view for the hunting i do. I mainly hunt PG such as Impala, blesbok, wildebeest and will never miss an opportunity at a warthog. All things that a 30-06 can comfortably take. As i hunt in the bushveld of South Africa i am not worried at longer than 250m shots.

I guess i like. The idea of the 3 7 5 as a classic bushveld hunting rifle. But a hell of a lot more recoil than a 06, cost is higher than the 06, and for thr intended species its obviously not necessary, so why the hell do i want a 375 to use as a primary hunting rifle?

Is it a new pandemic that i am caught in?
I think I bought my .375 h&h for the exact reasons you quoted lol. Just kinda wanted one just because. I ended up buying a whitworth with a removable muzzle brake and synthetic stock. Yes its not cheap to shoot but it is fun. I've had mine about a year and must be the bug is wearing off a bit because I'm considering selling it and putting the cash towards some more animals in Africa. I'm not hunting anything my 30.06 won't kill so I don't "need" the .375 lol . Just buy one, I doubt you'll regret it.

I think I bought my .375 h&h for the exact reasons you quoted lol. Just kinda wanted one just because. I ended up buying a whitworth with a removable muzzle brake and synthetic stock. Yes its not cheap to shoot but it is fun. I've had mine about a year and must be the bug is wearing off a bit because I'm considering selling it and putting the cash towards some more animals in Africa. I'm not hunting anything my 30.06 won't kill so I don't "need" the .375 lol . Just buy one, I doubt you'll regret it.
Boy, you really can't beat those Interarm's Whitworths for their functional reliability being well manufactured and price. I have three of them. DON'T SELL IT! LOL

Boy, you really can't beat those Interarm's Whitworths for their functional reliability being well manufactured and price. I have three of them. DON'T SELL IT! LOL
I agree!! You can't beat them for the price. Got mine on gun joker, $700 new and unfired

Let the fun begin

Ok in all seriousness, i am considering getting a 375, why? I don't know hence the the question. Some applicable information. I am not planning on hunting DG now or in the future as it just doesn't make sense in a financial point of view for the hunting i do. I mainly hunt PG such as Impala, blesbok, wildebeest and will never miss an opportunity at a warthog. All things that a 30-06 can comfortably take. As i hunt in the bushveld of South Africa i am not worried at longer than 250m shots.

I guess i like. The idea of the 3 7 5 as a classic bushveld hunting rifle. But a hell of a lot more recoil than a 06, cost is higher than the 06, and for thr intended species its obviously not necessary, so why the hell do i want a 375 to use as a primary hunting rifle?

Is it a new pandemic that i am caught in?
The way the world is going, the virus, threat of a war with China, i think go ahead with any purchase that makes you happy a Winchester 70 African, or CZ 550 in 375 H&H would make me feel better, just get on with it.

The way the world is going, the virus, threat of a war with China, i think go ahead with any purchase that makes you happy a Winchester 70 African, or CZ 550 in 375 H&H would make me feel better, just get on with it.
An AH member here (can't remember who) had a quote for the ages, "You only get so many heartbeats in life, so do what you want now". I've embraced that philosophy and shared it to others ever since I read it here.

Never question your inner gun buying instinct, kinda like when you know what you are about to say is going to piss people off but you say it anyway. It always feels better to do or say what you are thinking, albeit unpopular with the wife most of the times.

Go get yourself a 9.3x62…. almost, nearly a 375H&H but not quite. Advantages over a 375…. Cheaper ammunition and does the same job. Disadvantages……. I’ll try and think of something

Go get yourself a 9.3x62…. almost, nearly a 375H&H but not quite. Advantages over a 375…. Cheaper ammunition and does the same job. Disadvantages……. I’ll try and think of something
Nah….seriously, get your 375H&H……it’ll make you sleep easier at night (y)

My son has a Schultz & Larson 9.3x62 & i have just built one on a M98, great cartridge, but does not have the charisma of a 375 H&H, if we keep talking about this i will want one too .
I had a Winchester 70 African 375 & in a bout of insanity sold it.

I think that present status of the poll is:

100 % - buy 375
0 % - don't buy 375

:)
Every hunter just has to have the King of Rifles. Probably the most versatile rifle in existence. BUY IT!!

Not legal for dg in some places.

My son has a Schultz & Larson 9.3x62 & i have just built one on a M98, great cartridge, but does not have the charisma of a 375 H&H, if we keep talking about this i will want one too .
I had a Winchester 70 African 375 & in a bout of insanity sold it.
rdog:
It's never too late to get another .375 H and H. If you still have one of those cartridges or can get one, slowly run the cartridge through your hands, caressing it through your fingers as you go. Soon the temptation will be too great and you'll be soon looking for a rifle. LOL Maybe Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen can help you locate one in OZ?

"Disadvantages"? It's not a .375 Holland and Holland Magnum? LOL

"Disadvantages"? It's not a .375 Holland and Holland Magnum? LOL
375 Holland and Holland Magnum: Unique, one of a kind, has it's own niche, has provenance, classic, proven, much sought after, cherished. Need I continue? If you are not convinced, you desperately require counseling.

rdog:
It's never too late to get another .375 H and H. If you still have one of those cartridges or can get one, slowly run the cartridge through your hands, caressing it through your fingers as you go. Soon the temptation will be too great and you'll be soon looking for a rifle. LOL Maybe Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen can help you locate one in OZ?
Yes i am very weak resisting the urge for a new rifle but ,I probably will need a new wife to, that is if i have any money left or she does not kill me!. i have an old biscuit tin of left over cartridges of rifles i once owned , 340 Weatherby. 416 taylor, 458 Win, 444 Marlin. 375 Win 7mm Remington Mag, 375 H&H i will go & find the tin & get out the 375 & put it in my bed side draw.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg