Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I will be honest. when I posted this I was thinking 338-06 or a 400 Whelen. However a 416 Taylor was mentioned, I assume this would require a rebarrel and what else to make it work? Just curious
@Aaron.F
The 400 Whelen would be good. I did look at it when building my 35 but didn't need that much power.
Bob.

Aaron.F

AH member
Reaction score
Media

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 9.54.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 9.54.12 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 9.54.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 9.54.14 AM.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 10

jpr9954

AH veteran
Reaction score
Website
www.onlygunsandmoney.com
Member of
NRA, SAF
I just schecked his website and it is $250 and that includes return shipping.

I almost went that way with my Savage 111 that is going to .338-06. I got an ER Shaw .338-06 barrel from Brownells instead. It actually turned out cheaper. Came with the barrel, barrel wrench, and headspace gauges for about $200.

Cleveland48

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I've had JES rebore one 98 mauser to 9.3x62 with excellent results. I also bought a very pristine mark X 30/06 to have rebored to 338/06. Problem is the 30/06 shot so dang good i can't make myself mess with it, and im not really a 30/06 fan.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Hah! The problem of the niche :) Tough call. I might rebore to a reasonable standard long action caliber that won't thin the barrel too much or re-barrel to a similar cartridge with a matching contour. The easiest might be the 338-06. I'll second the experience of performance of the 210 gr TSX out of the 338-06.

I did something similar. Used a Winchester 70 for a donor action, lengthened the mag box to maximum, reset bolt stop and ejector lengths, added a magnum length (375 HH) follower, Krieger barrel, custom PTG 338-06 reamer with slightly longer throat, HS Precision stock. It is my primary non-DG hunting rifle.

deepwater

Bronze supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Totaling the cost of rifle, chambering, action/bolt work, scope, bases, rings, working up or finding factory loads, the price of a new quality barrel @ $325-350 is a small increase of cost vs.the savings of reboring old barrel. New barrel most likely will yield better accuracy and guaranteed easier cleaning compared to rebore.

Muskox

Gold supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
Namibia, Australia, Spain, Germany, all over the United States

Aaron.F

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Totaling the cost of rifle, chambering, action/bolt work, scope, bases, rings, working up or finding factory loads, the price of a new quality barrel @ $325-350 is a small increase of cost vs.the savings of reboring old barrel. New barrel most likely will yield better accuracy and guaranteed easier cleaning compared to rebore.
I am not planning on cost being the deciding factor, but rebore is $250 and the cost of new barrel, with installation and bluing is closer to $500 on the low end. There does not appear to be a lot of meat on the barrel, so I eleove anything bigger than .338 will probably require a rebarrel. I still do not know which way I am going.

fourfive8

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Botswana
Slow is good!

No matter your decision, this will allow for some study and reflection. Twist rate should always be an important consideration- I learned that lesson a long time ago ;)

C.W. Richter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
PA SCI, Various Endless Mtns., PA Region Clubs
Hunted
Zimbabwe 2x, Namibia 2x, RSA 2x, USA, Canada
A good bit..

Rails on the bottom of the action have to be opened..

Bolt face opened

Magazine and feed ramp might have to be tweaked to get proper feeding

New barrel...

Which means new sights..

But... all of that said.... totally worth it...

416 Taylor is an awesome round...

And ER Shaw will do all of that for you fairly reasonably as part of their standard “magnum conversion” ...

Their turn around time was pretty good the last time I used them as well...
I did the same w/ a true Win Mod 70 action (Shaw.) Worked out perfectly (w/ a properly bedded HS Precision stock, heavy contour bbl, all SS metal, jewell trigger, kick-eez pad). (Gun in pic-.416 Chatfield-Taylor). 338-06 AI (or 358 Norma Mag) would be easier. All are great calibers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dulieubongdaso

Latest profile posts

Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?
uplander01 wrote on colorado's profile.
Heard you may have load data for the 500 Jeffery,.....any info would be appreciated. Was thinking 535gr, but already had a response that the 570gr would be a better way to go, not sure why.
Rickmt wrote on Leica Sport Optics's profile.
will Leica Amplus 6-2.5x15x50 fit on a pro success Blaser with low mount?