Interarms Mark X 30-06 conversion project

I will be honest. when I posted this I was thinking 338-06 or a 400 Whelen. However a 416 Taylor was mentioned, I assume this would require a rebarrel and what else to make it work? Just curious
@Aaron.F
The 400 Whelen would be good. I did look at it when building my 35 but didn't need that much power.
Bob.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 9.54.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 9.54.12 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 123
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 9.54.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-27 at 9.54.14 AM.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 121
I just schecked his website and it is $250 and that includes return shipping.

I almost went that way with my Savage 111 that is going to .338-06. I got an ER Shaw .338-06 barrel from Brownells instead. It actually turned out cheaper. Came with the barrel, barrel wrench, and headspace gauges for about $200.

I've had JES rebore one 98 mauser to 9.3x62 with excellent results. I also bought a very pristine mark X 30/06 to have rebored to 338/06. Problem is the 30/06 shot so dang good i can't make myself mess with it, and im not really a 30/06 fan.

Hah! The problem of the niche :) Tough call. I might rebore to a reasonable standard long action caliber that won't thin the barrel too much or re-barrel to a similar cartridge with a matching contour. The easiest might be the 338-06. I'll second the experience of performance of the 210 gr TSX out of the 338-06.

I did something similar. Used a Winchester 70 for a donor action, lengthened the mag box to maximum, reset bolt stop and ejector lengths, added a magnum length (375 HH) follower, Krieger barrel, custom PTG 338-06 reamer with slightly longer throat, HS Precision stock. It is my primary non-DG hunting rifle.

Totaling the cost of rifle, chambering, action/bolt work, scope, bases, rings, working up or finding factory loads, the price of a new quality barrel @ $325-350 is a small increase of cost vs.the savings of reboring old barrel. New barrel most likely will yield better accuracy and guaranteed easier cleaning compared to rebore.

Totaling the cost of rifle, chambering, action/bolt work, scope, bases, rings, working up or finding factory loads, the price of a new quality barrel @ $325-350 is a small increase of cost vs.the savings of reboring old barrel. New barrel most likely will yield better accuracy and guaranteed easier cleaning compared to rebore.
I am not planning on cost being the deciding factor, but rebore is $250 and the cost of new barrel, with installation and bluing is closer to $500 on the low end. There does not appear to be a lot of meat on the barrel, so I eleove anything bigger than .338 will probably require a rebarrel. I still do not know which way I am going.

Slow is good!

No matter your decision, this will allow for some study and reflection. Twist rate should always be an important consideration- I learned that lesson a long time ago ;)

A good bit..

Rails on the bottom of the action have to be opened..

Bolt face opened

Magazine and feed ramp might have to be tweaked to get proper feeding

New barrel...

Which means new sights..

But... all of that said.... totally worth it...

416 Taylor is an awesome round...

And ER Shaw will do all of that for you fairly reasonably as part of their standard “magnum conversion” ...

Their turn around time was pretty good the last time I used them as well...
I did the same w/ a true Win Mod 70 action (Shaw.) Worked out perfectly (w/ a properly bedded HS Precision stock, heavy contour bbl, all SS metal, jewell trigger, kick-eez pad). (Gun in pic-.416 Chatfield-Taylor). 338-06 AI (or 358 Norma Mag) would be easier. All are great calibers.

Well I just purchased an Interarms Mark X in 416 Taylor, so that is making my decision a little easier. It looks like I may sell the 30-06 or re-bore to 338-06, decisions, decisions, decisions. I am really looking forward to messing with the 416 Taylor.
@Aaron.F
Why not rebore the 06 to 35 Whelen.
Bob

That is an excellent idea, but I already have a 35 Whelen and two 9.3x62's, and a 375 H&H. It might be time to thin the herd on my middle bores.
@Aaron.F
If you are thinning the mid bores there goes the 9.3 and the 375 and the 35 Whelen stays.
Haha
Bob

Well I just purchased an Interarms Mark X in 416 Taylor, so that is making my decision a little easier. It looks like I may sell the 30-06 or re-bore to 338-06, decisions, decisions, decisions. I am really looking forward to messing with the 416 Taylor.
Well, if/when you decide your through messing with the Taylor, I'll trade you a great Mark X 7mm Mag barrel for your Taylor barrel? You'll detach a retina anyway with the Taylor! Ha! Ha! Ha! In all seriousness, you'll love the Taylor. I have one, and I wouldn't trade it for one of BobNelsonRockefeller35Whelens' rifles. Don't get me wrong, Bob's rifles are the epitome of the .35 calibers, but they're not a .416 Taylor.

Last edited:
If you want to re-barrel, the .416 Taylor sounds good.
If you want to keep the barrel, go for something different like the 308 Norma Mag. We need more of those:LOL:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzannaVal

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg