In search of a proper belt

Murray Custom Leather
I second Murray Custom Leather. He supports the shooting/hunting sports and his belts are cut precurved and very comfortable. I also have the Galco version of the precurved dress belt and it too is sturdy enough for IWB or OWB pistol carry while looking nice after nearly 20 years.

Try Sid Mashburn. He sources great leather straps. Paul Stuart also has v good belts.

If you can get to Lancaster PA. or are willing to do some leg work online the Amish community there still relies on horses for transportation and too work their fields. There are many Tack Shops and most of them make belts. At this point I've thrown out all my belts and have around 6 from Lancaster. I've travelled all over the country and several places overseas. In my (humble) opinion, the best leather belts come from Lancaster PA!

I hadn’t actually thought of finding a good belt as a problem until reading through this thread. A belt is usually the basis where every leather craftsman starts. The most important part is quality materials. Other than that; it’s cutting a strap, and punching some holes. Im going to leave tooling out of the equation all together. I find plain leather seams to be favored by the members of this forum. You should be able to Google custom saddle maker near you, and find someone to put out a top notch product. The hardest part is finding a saddle maker that will do it. Belts are one of the most obscenely boring items a guy can build.

Buy a gun-belt from any reputable maker. I would recommend Diamond D in Wasilla. Your whole life will be changed. It may well out-live you.

Many years ago I found a leather police gear belt in a Salvation Army store on the prairies. Forget the brand name. It was the best belt I've owned in my lifetime.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 8.16.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 8.16.11 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 38
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 8.16.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 8.16.12 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
Personally I like belts made out of exotic skins like ostrich, alligator, crocodile etc. Over the years I have found high quality ones at Allen Edmonds and in custom shops. Lately I have bought some very nice belts at Tecovas, their belts and well made and come at a fair price.

I am appealing to this august group, perveyors and possessors of all things quality and bespoke....I can't find a proper ALL LEATHER dress belt. The world is filled with abominations made of man-made materials, filled with foam, and bulged, cracked and torn in no time flat. And these are being sold in places like Macy's, etc. Why can I find harness leather hunting or casual belts, but nothing of lasting value in a dress belt?
I'm asking for your usual stellar advice on the matter. What are your favorite belts? And just to spice it up a bit while we're at it--what are your favorite quality casual belts as well?
Dick Murray Custom Leather is where you will find your belt.

I have a Tag Safari buffalo belt....very tough....

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.40.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.40.52 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.40.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-31 at 8.40.54 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
Thank you, gentlemen! Already have a horween shell cordovan belt by Alden, and an Italian leather belt by Brooks Bros. headed my way--and am actively investigating all your other great recommendations.
Haven't even gotten started on upgrading casual belts...

Dress belt? Cry once buy once and will last a life time —Loius Vittion
carry belt is kore! Just an awesome built belt, buy two when they have a sale one for dress and the other for play
shooting range belt? shtf.com makes a great versatile molle belt, cheap too

If you can get to Lancaster PA. or are willing to do some leg work online the Amish community there still relies on horses for transportation and too work their fields. There are many Tack Shops and most of them make belts. At this point I've thrown out all my belts and have around 6 from Lancaster. I've travelled all over the country and several places overseas. In my (humble) opinion, the best leather belts come from Lancaster PA!
Can you specify those tack shops? Some of the ads I see for amish belts are "Italian leather" and other headings that make me think they aren't locally sourced.

A bargain-priced option is the Duluth Trading Lifetime Belt. It’s thick and heavy. I have no doubt it can last a lifetime. Even if you use it to tow a trailer!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.23.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.23.17 AM.png
    700.9 KB · Views: 26
  • Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.23.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 8.23.20 AM.png
    819.7 KB · Views: 25
I have two Courteney belts that have served me well for 10&15 years respectively.

Image1685557642.134236.jpg

I also have a belt by Ross Gun Leather which works well when carrying the Glock 19 in an IWB holster.

Image1685557721.687394.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go789click

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois