In memoriam - The Queen

The UK is not my country, but it has been kind to me and I have come to feel part of it

Though I shared my own people’s distrust of Britain’s (and the US’s) meddling ways during UDI and the bush war in which I fought, I later came to swear allegiance to the Queen when I took a commission

She was a unique leader of a unique institution

We live in increasingly dangerous times and the UK has lost a lodestone in increasingly stormy seas

For those in the US that don’t quite get the hype

think of the Royal Family, not so much as individuals promoted above others, but as a living 1000 + year old Constitution of American Independence

I had the good fortune to see Her Majesty face to face on two separate occasions in my life. The first time was when I graduated from the University of London (having studied Environmental Management there) in 1965. She was awarding all of the students their certificates during the graduation ceremony.

Second time was 18 years later when she made a state visit to Bangladesh in 1983. The country had just become independent 12 years prior. I was posted in Khulna at that time, being the Divisional Forest Officer of the Sundarbans. She was a most gracious lady. She loved to drink tea with lemon and really enjoyed meringue biscuits from Olympia Bakery. She treated even lowly forest guards and train attendants with respect. She was served red jungle fowl during her stay, because it was a game bird which was not available in Great Britain. And she absolutely loved it.

View attachment 488027
Rest in Peace, Your Majesty. You earned a long hard rest.

It's the end of an era never to return. She died serving the British people till the very last day of her life. That's a dedication to duty which you'll never see in today's politicians. She was the last of her kind.

A very good tribute about the fine visit she did in your country then. And the appreciation of the hard work and dedication all of you did there as well as the local catering.

And it was much better back then in the winds of fashion with the wide ties then, than the skinny ties of today .

A point to remember; she was a hunter, apparently a skilled, ethical one ...
I had heard she was a hunter but also heard she was good with the UK trophy ban. She definitely was a great leader for Great Britain and may she Rest In Peace! I have read the story of her becoming Queen and that must have been a tremdous weight on a young ladies shoulder and by all accounts she handled it extremely well. Again Rest In Peace and good luck to King Charles lll.

A very good tribute about the fine visit she did in your country then. And the appreciation of the hard work and dedication all of you did there as well as the local catering.

And it was much better back then in the winds of fashion with the wide ties then, than the skinny ties of today .
Oh, don’t get me started about that day.
F5B4B0CC-0E59-4C14-A71C-F6F540C079F8.jpeg

The President (getting down from the train behind Her Majesty) gave me an extremely hard scolding for wearing a button down collar shirt with a suit and tie in front of an English royal (apparently the British consider wearing button down collar shirts with ties to be a faux pas). He also didn’t think too highly of my Brook’s Brothers linen suit and wished I wore something more British.

One of the best things about retiring from a government job, is that I no longer have to wear ties. I was never particularly interested in expensive tailored clothing, but I always knew what I liked. Arrow brand button down collar shirts have been my favorite since my student life. And I‘ve had the same two suits for years now- A grey linen and a dark blue lightweight worsted wool, both made by Brooks Brothers.

The President was a far more refined man. All of his tastes were British. Silk pinstripe suits made by Henry Poole in Savile Row, silk shirts made by Turnbull & Asser in Jermyn Street, silk ties made by Harvie & Hudson, diamond cufflinks made by Tiffany’s, leather Oxford shoes made by Joseph Cheaney and Sons. But he and I got along very well. And his scolding was more like the way a parent scolds a son. I was very fortunate to work under his administration.

He was an extremely avid hunter and all of his firearms were made by James Purdey & Sons, specifically for him:
- A 12 gauge (2 3/4”) sidelock ejector with 26” barrels
- A 20 gauge (2 3/4”) sidelock ejector with 26” barrels
- A .300 Holland & Holland Magnum “Deer Stalking” magazine rifle built on a real DWM Mauser 98 action

And don’t even get me started about men’s fashion these days. The ties got skinnier, the trousers got tighter, pleats disappeared, shirt pockets disappeared,“man-buns” became a thing. And everything these days is a “Skinny Fit”.

Last edited:
She did her duty to the very end. Rest in Peace.

View attachment 488143
The President (getting down from the train behind Her Majesty) gave me an extremely hard scolding for wearing a button down collar shirt with a suit and tie in front of an English royal (apparently the British consider wearing button down collar shirts with ties to be a faux pas). He also didn’t think too highly of my Brook’s Brothers linen suit and wished I wore something more British.

One of the best things about retiring from a government job, is that I no longer have to wear ties. I was never particularly interested in expensive tailored clothing, but I always knew what I liked. Arrow brand button down collar shirts have been my favorite since my student life. And I‘ve had the same two suits for years now- A grey linen and a dark blue lightweight worsted wool, both made by Brooks Brothers.

The President was a far more refined man. All of his tastes were British. Silk pinstripe suits made by Henry Poole in Savile Row, silk shirts made by Turnbull & Asser in Jermyn Street, silk ties made by Harvie & Hudson, diamond cufflinks made by Tiffany’s, leather Oxford shoes made by Joseph Cheaney and Sons. But he and I got along very well. And his scolding was more like the way a parent scolds a son. I was very fortunate to work under his administration.

He was an extremely avid hunter and all of his firearms were made by James Purdey & Sons, specifically for him:
- A .300 Holland & Holland Magnum “Deer Stalking” magazine rifle built on a real DWM Mauser 98 action

And don’t even get me started about men’s fashion these days. The ties got skinnier, the trousers got tighter, pleats disappeared, shirt pockets disappeared,“man-buns” became a thing. And everything these days is a “Skinny Fit”.
I can take or leave pleats. Depends on the sort of trousers. But current men's fashion is pretty abysmal, yes.

I can take or leave pleats. Depends on the sort of trousers. But current men's fashion is pretty abysmal, yes.
I understand that pleated dress trousers are not for everybody's tastes. But I personally find them most comfortable. So roomy, especially when you sit down.

I understand that pleated dress trousers are not for everybody's tastes. But I personally find them most comfortable. So roomy, especially when you sit down.
I have a love for 1910s-1930s suits, so pleats kinda depend on which time period, suit style, and material you want. Ditto with more casual clothing.

My grandfather wore a short-sleeved button-down shirt of thin white cotton with a single chest pocket every day of his life (except Sundays) that I knew him, and for many many many years before that. With a pair of black or possibly navy blue slacks. Shopping for him must have been very easy! You don't see that sort of thing much anymore. It's going with his generation and the following one as they slip out the door. Her Majesty included.

I had heard she was a hunter but also heard she was good with the UK trophy ban. She definitely was a great leader for Great Britain and may she Rest In Peace! I have read the story of her becoming Queen and that must have been a tremdous weight on a young ladies shoulder and by all accounts she handled it extremely well. Again Rest In Peace and good luck to King Charles lll.

To me, Queen Elizabeth was "Great Britain". She represented Britain and the Commonwealth very well indeed! I hope that King Charles III will do the same.

She was not allowed to get involved or to influence government policies...she could give her advice etc to the prime minister in their regular meetings....but thst is it....so don't go judging

View attachment 488143

Couldn't put like and laugh smileys at same time... :D Beers:

I have a love for 1910s-1930s suits, so pleats kinda depend on which time period, suit style, and material you want. Ditto with more casual clothing.

My grandfather wore a short-sleeved button-down shirt of thin white cotton with a single chest pocket every day of his life (except Sundays) that I knew him, and for many many many years before that. With a pair of black or possibly navy blue slacks. Shopping for him must have been very easy! You don't see that sort of thing much anymore. It's going with his generation and the following one as they slip out the door. Her Majesty included.

Nah....have shorts for most of time...back in the big city.... blue jeans for going out....and black jeans for posh occasions....trouble is the madam likes my black ones more...so basically blue ones sit doing fkall.....something to do with my butt looking hotter in the black ones....I can live with it......;):E Rofl::D Beers:

She did what was expected of her, exactly AS it was expected of her, unlike the freak show coming soon. She never shamed the country nor the office.

Not all of them.................unfortunately Americans seem to fk things up when it comes to our royal family.....:E Shrug:

Some of the distasteful comments I have seen recently about the queens passing really show just how ugly society has become. I was truly appalled by some of the things I have seen, and that is saying something, as I am not very easily appalled!
She was, as best I could tell, the epitome of class, the likes of which I suspect we will never see again.
Whether you agreed with policy or whatever, she was, as has already been noted, a grandmother, mother, and a head of state. She ruled nearly twice as long as I have been alive. Rest in Peace.
I too am highly dubious of the things to come now that she is gone.
Screenshot_20220909-185941.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PWA703

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.