In memoriam - The Queen

I had the good fortune to see Her Majesty face to face on two separate occasions in my life. The first time was when I graduated from the University of London (having studied Environmental Management there) in 1965. She was awarding all of the students their certificates during the graduation ceremony.

Second time was 18 years later when she made a state visit to Bangladesh in 1983. The country had just become independent 12 years prior. I was posted in Khulna at that time, being the Divisional Forest Officer of the Sundarbans. She was a most gracious lady. She loved to drink tea with lemon and really enjoyed meringue biscuits from Olympia Bakery. She treated even lowly forest guards and train attendants with respect. She was served red jungle fowl during her stay, because it was a game bird which was not available in Great Britain. And she absolutely loved it.

Screenshot_20220909-003814_01.jpg

Rest in Peace, Your Majesty. You earned a long hard rest.

It's the end of an era never to return. She died serving the British people till the very last day of her life. That's a dedication to duty which you'll never see in today's politicians. She was the last of her kind.

Last edited:
Very sad news; I'll be offering up a prayer for her tonight.
@Slim01
Yes it is sad but she was 96 and the longest ever serving monarch.
Charles is a dickhead and it should have gone straight to William.
Australia may now have a chance of becoming a Republic.
God rest the Queen.

It's a loss to England and the Commonwealth.

I haven't really followed the Royals but pa the Baton to William, he is young and might be better suited to a long reign and public support.

Charles is well past retirement and William is the only one without a blemish on him.

What an incredible life of service. I suppose many think of her reign as a life of privilege. But she "served" her nation and the Commonwealth for seven decades twenty-four seven. Would that we had a few more like her with such devotion. The delightful clip below shows another side. One that also should be remembered.

What an incredible life of service. ........ she "served" her nation and the Commonwealth for seven decades twenty-four seven. Would that we had a few more like her with such devotion. ....

I wish that we had some that might even offer a shadow of her devotion to service of the people.

I fully agree with all the above posts , some people may not have liked the queen or the monarchy but she was a true servant to her people and at all times acted with integrity , a great example of what a leader should be .
What is also very impressive to me is the respectful comments made on this thread about the queen from people of all backgrounds and countries , some from countries that have not necessarily had the best experience historically with GB , says a lot about the character of the members of this group . Respect !

I don't care for royalty or whatever, but I see it like this. A head of state has passed, and she should be acknowledged for her life and accomplishments. It's not like she was some tin-pot dictator who doesn't deserve to be remembered. Britain's ways are not my ways but I feel for the problems they're about to have and wish them a smooth transition of the crown and government.

And more importantly, a beloved mother/grandmother has passed. I don't know how Charles feels about it but I certainly would be upset. William and Harry, twit that he is, have lost their grandmother. I feel for their loss.

I've seen a lot of derision and outright assholery towards the Royal Family elsewhere. I think it's in utterly poor taste. It doesn't matter if ERII was a queen or not, it doesn't matter if you think monarchy is trash or not, it doesn't matter if you think the royals are "useless", as I've seen. It just reeks of not being a decent enough human being that you can't muster a single sympathetic thought for others. This isn't directed at you personally, of course, and I don't anticipate seeing a lot of that on here, either.
Well said.

If nothing else, the death a mother, grand- and great grandmother and of a WWII veteran is a sad thing.

She outwalked up in the hills and if her Range Rover broke down in the hills somewhere far off the photographer path she fixed it her self quick and just as good as the ghillies would helped her with it.

A grand lady which both the noble stag and the striped khan had much respect with and admiration for ,and today they are having some moments in thought in the Scottish hills and the Sundarban Mangrove forrest's.

Here is a good program about the other side of the household. And Charles were one of the first to appove much of organic farming and local produced supplies.

She went up a tree as a princess and came down as a Queen. Recall the Safari to Kenya when the newly wed Princess slept in the treehouse when during the night Her father died. Uncle Pat “mzee” as he was colloquially known was the assistant PH on that Safari and took it apon himself to stand watch all night below but at a respectable distance from the treehouse. So he was unofficially the Queens first guard!

She went up a tree as a princess and came down as a Queen. Recall the Safari to Kenya when the newly wed Princess slept in the treehouse when during the night Her father died. Uncle Pat “mzee” as he was colloquially known was the assistant PH on that Safari and took it apon himself to stand watch all night below but at a respectable distance from the treehouse. So he was unofficially the Queens first guard!

Jim Corbett was in charge of her security in Kenya. He coined the phrase you quoted. If you get a chance it is well worth reading his account of the event. She was cool under pressure, even in the face of some cheeky elephant.

Jim Corbett was in charge of her security in Kenya. He coined the phrase you quoted. If you get a chance it is well worth reading his account of the event. She was cool under pressure, even in the face of some cheeky elephant.
Was it not Phillip Percival? Corbett was in India.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReneeKirch

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!