In memoriam - RIP cal pappas

When one door closes, another opens.

Cal Pappas loved to share his experiences hunting in Africa. The sparkle in his eyes and the enthusiasm in his voice drew in his listeners. When he finished talking, and while you were dreaming, he would say, "Do you want to come along? You can go with me." And many said, "Yes!" We did.

Three of us Alaskans soaked up Cal's advice. Then we followed his checklists, prepared our documents, and packed our bags.

On Monday evening, May 23, 2022, Cal and the three of us were to meet at the Anchorage Airport to begin our journey to Haakdoorn Safari in South Africa. Two of us would hunt their entire trip at Haakdoorn. After five days of hunting, Cal and I were headed to Zimbabwe for a little over two weeks. He wanted to share the sights of his beloved Zimbabwe, and his good friend who lives there offered to be our guide. Amazing adventures. I was excited.

On Sunday, the day before our flight, I planned to drive down to Cal's house from Fairbanks. Cal called at about 9:00 a.m., saying his bags were packed and on the porch. He asked when I would be leaving, and I thought in half an hour but said I'd call to confirm. Cal never answered the phone when I made that call, the calls to tell him of my delay, the call when I left home at 1:00 p.m., or any of the many calls I made on my drive down to Willow. It was un-Cal-like not to return calls.

About half an hour from his home, I got a call from Cal's house-sitter. She had something to say about Cal but did not want to tell me while I was driving. When I arrived at the turn-off to Cal's road, his house-sitter was waiting for me.

Cal had passed away.

We will not know the exact cause until the state medical examiner has the results. The EMTs said it was quick.

I expect my morning conversation with Cal was his last. His house-sitter arrived at his home at 3:00 p.m. and found him. When I drove up around 6:00 p.m., the Troopers were doing their jobs. I looked toward the house and saw Cal's packed bags on the porch.

Packed bags. Cal always packed two pairs of hunting shorts and two t-shirts, one dressier shirt for visiting friends or going out for a nice dinner. There was gear, ammo, laptop, binos, meds, the usual. But what of the rest of the space in the various bags? Gifts. Gifts for all of his friends who make his trips so delightful. His bags are filled with items to make other people happy!

A Trooper asked if I would secure the house and stay. I agreed. Emotionally I knew I could not make that trip now. I lost my friend.

The comments about Cal on this thread are warm, thankful, and positive. Cal's door to us on earth is now closed—he walked through another. But while he was with us, Cal opened doors for people—be it talking about the double rifles, ammunition or hunting in Africa or Alaska, and much more. He certainly opened a door for me.

As some of you pointed out, Cal lived his life in a way that allowed him to pursue his love of rifles and hunt in Africa. I knew him to be a brilliant man academically and with the craft. He thoroughly enjoyed his firearms and would shoot almost every day. He had a heated shed with a rifle rest that fit in an open window—he could shoot through the Alaska winter. He built his log home, furnished it sparsely, and surrounded himself with reminders of his travels—his trophies, skins, and beautiful Africa carvings. Cal was humble. Cal was generous. Cal genuinely cared you had what you needed and a place to stay.

Kevin Peacock—special note for you—I have Cal’s "Double Rifle Primer" book he wanted to give you at the Harare airport. I can bring it when I land in Harare next year, or there might be a way to get it to you sooner. I will contact you.

I have another book Cal was bringing—if anyone here arranged for him to deliver a book to you, please get in touch with me. I do not know who it should go to.

Johan, I have Cal's gift for you and will try to send it over with someone in August/September. I will be in contact.

Take care, everyone.
Thank you very much for sharing this Laura, it is very touching.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 6.26.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 6.26.58 PM.png
    655.7 KB · Views: 122

Kevin Peacock—special note for you—I have Cal’s "Double Rifle Primer" book he wanted to give you at the Harare airport. I can bring it when I land in Harare next year, or there might be a way to get it to you sooner. I will contact you.

I am leaving for Harare on July 20th and between arrival and start of my hunt in August will spend 3 nights in Harare. If you and Kevin wish I can bring the book with me and hand it to him. We'll most likely get together for drinks at Amanzi once again anyway. ;)

Let me know and I can DM you my address in CA.

Sorry to hear this. I had just been corresponding with Cal a couple of weeks ago and ordered his book from him. He stressed that he was leaving on the 23rd for a month and that if my check didn't arrive in time, he would mail the book when he got back. Well, the book arrived last week, and we were supposed to talk about hunting in America with doubles. Guess that conversation will have to wait. RIP

Cal was an interesting guy and he will be missed. it seems a touch ironic that one of the most knowledgeable people on the planet regarding double rifles lived relatively close, lived in an off road cabin and was so forthcoming with his knowledge.

my son loved going to "cal's house" when we went to my cabin. it is a cautionary tale that no body gets to live forever. "Old age is a gift denied to many"

hope to see him in the future, fare well old man.

Greetings Tanks.
I am leaving for Harare on July 20th and between arrival and start of my hunt in August will spend 3 nights in Harare. If you and Kevin wish I can bring the book with me and hand it to him. We'll most likely get together for drinks at Amanzi once again anyway. ;)

Let me know and I can DM you my address in CA.,.

I sent you and Kevin a message. Thank you for offering to deliver Cal's book.

We in Alaska should have a Cal Pappas Memorial Double Shoot. I didn't know him well, but I was looking forward to dragging my Pedersoli .45-70 up to Swamp Robin to shoot it with him before he decamped for Florida.
Waited too long.
Anyways, I would like to meet some of his friends and make some noise. Birchwood is the best range I can think of, unless you'd like to go to the Upper Susitna range up by Montana Creek. Longer drive (but beautiful) for most of us, but they make a good burger at Sheep Creek again.
Hopefully someone more organizationally adroit than I will take this idea and run with it. I will Cheer You On!

Seems like it was just yesterday I met Cal at a gunshow. He showed me a double and was very patient talking to my teenager stepson. I met him again later to buy some 358 Woodleighs. He shared his wealth of knowledge about bullets and invited me to go to Africa someday. He will be missed.

I'm glad it was quick, both for his sake and his family's. No one is guaranteed tomorrow. Make your peace with God and live so you have no regrets if he takes you home tomorrow.

He was one of few big game hunters that understood animal behaviour from his extensive experience. He also didn't claim he'd been charged by every single buffalo he'd hunted like some do. RIP and happy hunting in the green fields beyond Mr Pappas. EDIT. spelling.

Last edited:
So sad to hear...RIP Cal..

I had been trading emails with Cal about all things 450/400 3". Always took the time to explain things to this newb. His book arrived just a few months before his passing.

RIP Cal

My condolences to his family and friends.
May he Rest In Peace in the happy hunting grounds in the afterlife.

So sorry to hear of his passing. Didn't know him but had some dealings with him buying some hard to find brass. A true gentlemen. Would have liked to sit around the fire and have a good conversation with him. Guess it'll have to wait till I cross the river. RIP sir.

There are few who have truly lived the life we wanted and respected God, nature and mankind. RIP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brianguisy

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,