In memoriam - RIP cal pappas

Lost a good friend on his way to Safari..Cal Pappas

Just learned of this..been good friends since 2005 and met up wirh him several times in Alaska..We had alot in common but mainly Big Bores..aka 4 Bore and 600 Doubles...He was a great guy and avid firearms enthusiasts and been on Safari at least 20 times!! He will be missed by many! RIP CAL
Screenshot_20220523-171141_Messages.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn! much too young, awhile back i was going through a box of stuff i got in a gun trade deal, saw a big bag of 12 gauge brass hulls, guess who's name instantly came to mind?, i PM'd Cal and sent him those cases, Rest In Eternal Peace Sir.

Very sorry to hear. Know this was devastating news, especially under the circumstances. It is truly hard to lose a close hunting or fishing buddy. So many good times to remember.

Thoughts and prayers to his family and to you.

Oh Man … I just bought some reloading bullets from Cal last month & we had an enjoyable PM exchange & possible Meet/Greet on a planned Alaska hunt in 2023. :cry: Thoughts w/ Cal & Family … Happy Trails Beyond.

Cal,

I’ll see you on the other side of the river.

Your old friend,
Paul.

Sad to hear a real loss of knowledge. RIP

there arent very many people on the planet that know the deep, rich history of all things double rifle. i always wanted to meet him in anchorage at one of the double rifle shoots he would set up since i travel there a few times a year. i will miss his thoughtful posts pertaining to doubles since picked up a couple doubles a few years ago. R.I.P. Cal.

Here the day after it was announced of Cals passing I feel a void. Cal was a driving force of inspiration. I spoke with him only once on the phone, but exchanged emails on few accations. My first artical I read from Cal was of a guy who buys a 1886 Winchester in .33cal and get Griffin & Howe to convert it to .50-110. As I was collecting Winchesters earlier like Cal I mention this in the conversation. Cal said “ oh…that was me who had that gun made and wrote the artical”. Later we wrote with eachother in regards to his Borerifle book and a rifle he wanted to have in it.
Cal had a passion for Winchesters and Colt revolvers too. He wrote to me some years back he was also thinking about to write a book on the .50ex Winchester.

cal!..you are missed.

Gentlemen and gentle ladies, all of you, all of us, sooner or later our time runs out. Please, I emplore you, write books, articles, short stories, whatever the format, preserve it for posterity. I never got to meet Cal, just a few weeks and I would have, but I can know him through what he took the trouble to leave behind.

Gentlemen and gentle ladies, all of you, all of us, sooner or later our time runs out. Please, I emplore you, write books, articles, short stories, whatever the format, preserve it for posterity. I never got to meet Cal, just a few weeks and I would have, but I can know him through what he took the trouble to leave behind.
Well said sir!

And to add to that, never say, "One day..." to anything you wish to do. Cal was only a year older than myself, and as mentioned, this was unexpected.

Really sad news about Cal . Condolences to his family and friends . I never met him but since I joined the AH forum he has been one of the prominent and most helpful members on many threads . He will be sorely missed , may his soul rest in peace !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross