In memoriam - Ian Gibson of Chifuti Safaris Passes Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts and prayers - wishing his family all the best and a reminder dangerous game is exactly that dangerous.

dt

A few clips of Ian.

Another hunt guided by Ian.

Ian at work in another episode.

This thread is to let all the folks know who should know about the loss and to allow decent respectful people to express their genuine condolences and concern. Please continue to do so.

A note from Dave Fulson.

"Hunting Community/ Family
The national feeds have kicked in and we are besieged by, and now rejecting interviews from outside the hunting community media. This is not entertainment or news fodder, it is the soul wrenching loss of a great man, friend , and hunter. Indeed our Facebook has been lit up by vicious comments and outright celebration by people with the usual agenda.
The report of stalking lion is incorrect, Ian and his tracker Robert were approaching a elephant bull in thick cover to judge ivory size when the wind shifted and brought a immediate charge from a determined bull.
Our position is that the folks we, and Ian would have wanted to know, now do. The AH AR family is on that list.
GOD BLESS for your prayers, calls, and support you have so generously shared. It will all be passed on.

Dave Fulson"

i did not know Ian personally but his reputation as both an excellent PH and excellent human proceeded him and will resound for decades in his wake. hopefully his family will find some small measure of peace in knowing he made more of a mark in the hunting community then most of us ever will and he will not soon be forgotten.

:S Rip:

-matt

hi - I totally agree, hunters have to unite and be diplomatic to the general public, most people out there have no understanding of the industry and the conservation that goes hand in hand with it. Education is the key and all of us need to be more pro-active in the way we promote hunting, don't assume the public understand the ethics we have and that without hunting the wildlife industry would come to a halt. Most people assume that photographic tourism protects and pays for wildlife. Takeri Private Reserve would not be there without hunting ....and neither would all our wildlife! Over the past five years we have had all the little game come back. honey badgers, porcupine, blue duiker etc.. and go out 5 km away from the area we protect and you would be lucky to find a frog!

As another one of the leaders in the front line of wildlife conservation in Africa I have to agree with Patsy. Without people like Ian on the front line of conservation there would be nothing left.

In the effort to educate the public about the reality on the ground that only the HUNTERS see here are the results of poaching.

Snares are indiscriminate.

images.jpeg

Lion caught in a snare.

lion-caught-in-a-snare.JPG

Elephant caught in a snare.
Elephant_snare@body.JPG

Rhino in a snare. Rescued by HUNTERS!
anothervictim.jpg

AN ANTI POACHING PROGRAM PAID FOR BY HUNTERS!

Zinhave-Anti-poaching.jpg

The same type of programs are operating today.
If you would like to DO SOMETHING CONSTRUCTIVE please make a TAX DEDUCTIBLE DONATION:
http://www.cmsafaris.com/african-elephant-research/dande-anti-poaching.htm

Here is a report of the ongoing results of the people on the ground in ONE AREA.
http://www.cmsafaris.com/african-elephant-research/updates.html

Just read the story...so sad to hear. My condolences to Mr Gibson's family as well as the family of the Mr Saitabau.

to all of gibbos , friends and family , my hartfelt condolences, he sounds like man of which this world needs a whole lot more of.........

To all those who would post vulgarity or threats, please realize that this is a memorial. No different from any other.

Yelling out vulgarity, threats or hatred would not be acceptable at any memorial, regardless of opinion of the deceased. In fact use of profanity or threats is not acceptable in any public forum. Internet anonymity does not preclude this.

Please respect the family and friends of the man in memorium here.

Thank you.

DSC Frontline Foundation

The mission of the DSC Frontline Foundation is to provide financial relief to professional hunters and their assistants, trackers and skinners who are killed or seriously injured in the course of providing professional hunting services. The individuals we seek to help are often on the frontline of hunts and therefore exposed to the dangers inherent in hunting. These same individuals are unlikely to have adequate, or any, health insurance. They are unlikely to have life insurance or disability coverage. As a result, a serious injury has the potential to be even more devastating to these folks than to most of the rest of us. The death of a primary breadwinner could have equally dire consequences for most of the people we seek to help.

The DSC Frontline Foundation recognizes that for many hunters the quality of the adventure is due in large part to the quality and experience of the guide or outfitter. This is particularly true in the case of international hunting adventures and big game trips. It is critical to have guides and outfitters (and assistants) who have experience, and gaining that experience often involves working under harsh and dangerous conditions. With experience comes increased risk of serious injury or death.

In order to provide some relief for injuries or some compensation for the survivors of those who are killed, and to help insure that those who are injured can return to professional hunting the Foundation desires to establish a fund from which distributions to qualified individuals can be made.

http://dscfrontlinefoundation.org

Gibbo, your grounded approach to life was inspirational. You will be deeply missed my friend. Our condolences to all those at Safari classics, Chifuti Safaris, and his family...

Gentlemen,it's a honourable death for a Dangerous Game Hunter.
But a tragedy for those,who loved him.

My condolences to his familiy and friends.
Foxi

I never got to meet or hunt with Ian, but I have watched him work on television and Boddington vids. My deepest condolences go out to his family and friends.

A big loss to the hunting world. My condolences to the family and friends.

Sorry everyone, I was unable to attend to the onslaught of anti hunter trolls today as I was traveling and unfortunately my reliable sidekick super moderator is away on safari. All posts that were posted by antis and in response to them have been deleted. I will not give them any satisfaction or voice on AH. I deeply regret that I was unable to moderate the site properly during this situation.

Last edited:
Thanks Wheels!

Sorry everyone, I was unable to attend to the onslaught of anti hunter trolls today as I was traveling and unfortunately my reliable sidekick super moderator is away on safari. All posts that were posted by antis and in response to them have been deleted. I will not give them any satisfaction or voice on AH. I deeply regret that I was unable to moderate the site properly during this situation.

Somewhere along the line it was suggested this thread be locked. I would second that idea. I feel the thread has served its purpose and keeping it open only invites the morons to post within it.

Phil, You are right and thanks for bringing it up again. I will lock the thread to prevent any future posting but people will still be able to view it. I will get back to you in regards to your PM tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.