In memoriam - Ian Gibson of Chifuti Safaris Passes Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart1970

AH member
Reaction score
Posted by a friend on another Afrikana website on facebook, early reports of Ian Gibson (Chifuti Safaris)
FALLEN PH - IAN (Gibbo) GIBSON (CHIFUTI SAFARIS - ZIMBABWE)

A sad day for me, and many of my fellow African Hunters around the world! Today, one of the most experienced PH's in all of Zimbabwe was tragically killed by a bull elephant, while in hot pursuit. Details are not complete yet, but another fine hunter/PH was lost today while hunting what we all know to be DANGEROUS GAME!
Prayers for his family and friends

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
It is with deep regret that I share this message from Safari Classics. I was fortunate enough to share a camp with Ian last August and I'm deeply saddened by the news. My thoughts and prayers go out to Ian's family, as well as to his Chifuti family.

Dear Chifuti Safaris clients,

It is with deep sadness to announce the passing of Chifuti Safaris professional hunter Ian Gibson. Ian was tragically killed by an elephant bull earlier today while guiding and elephant hunt in Chewore North (lower Zambezi Valley).

The details are just starting to emerge as we write this. However it appears that Ian and his client had been on the tracks of an elephant bull for approximately 5 hours when they decided to take a break and allow the client to rest. Feeling he was quite close to the elephant, Ian and his tracker Robert continued to follow the tracks in hopes of getting a look at the ivory as the client, stayed with the game scout to rest. Robert indicated the bull was in musk. They eventually caught up to the bull, spotting him at about 50-100 meters. The bull instantly turned and began a full charge. Ian and Robert began shouting in order to stop the charge. At very close range, Ian was able to get off one shot before the bull killed him. The scene was very graphic.

Ian Gibson was a fine man and one of the most experienced professional hunters on the African continent. He will be deeply missed by all…

We will provide more details as they become available

Tim and Dave

Safari Classics

Attachments

PHOENIX PHIL

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
SCI
Hunted
USA, S. Africa
Damn, I got to speak with Ian just one time which was at this year's SCI convention. I always would get a kick out of how we hunters spend so much time discussing footwear for hunting and seeing Ian on TAA running in around in what looked like to me Converse Chuck Taylor's.

My condolences to Ian's family and all those who knew him well.

35bore

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
Hunted
USA, South Africa, France
Prayers and condolences to his friends and family

TokkieM

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Zimbabwe,Sweden
A terrible tragedy!!! Thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Very sad news.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Reminds me to appreciate what I have today and every day!

huntingbigun

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Patron NRA, SCI, KRVSA,
Hunted
USA (Fl, Ga, Tn, Kt,Sc, Al, Tx, Nm, Co, Mt, Wy), Canada (Alberta, Manitoba), New Zealand (north & South), South Africa (Kalahari, FreeSate, East Cape & Limpopa)
Sad day for all and Prayers for family and Ian rip

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
We are all poorer for his loss. One of the really good guys. Please let us know if a fund is established for his family.

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
My condolences to family and friends.

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Very sad, my thoughts and prayers to Ian's family and chifuti safaris

Biddleman

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Delta Waterfowl
Hunted
USA, Botswana
Very sad to hear. My condolences to all involved.
I, like Phil thought it was pretty cool how he always wore those "tennis" shoes. He seemed like a fun guy to hunt with.

Royal27

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
We are all poorer for his loss. One of the really good guys. Please let us know if a fund is established for his family.
I would expect that there will be through Safari Classics, as there was for Owain Lewis. If I hear anything I will certainly put it here.

Very sad to hear. My condolences to all involved.
I, like Phil thought it was pretty cool how he always wore those "tennis" shoes. He seemed like a fun guy to hunt with.
When I met him in Chewore North he had on those shoes and a simple pair of draw string shorts. I remember laughing at myself for putting to much thought into my attire, as Phil mentioned earlier. Ian was also a jokster and razzed the appy PH, Dean, to no end! The bickering between them was hilarious to watch.... At first glance you might even think that Ian didn't like Dean. but then you'd find out that Ian would take Dean to Mana Pools on their "off days" to camp and take pictures of wildlife. Ian was obviously very fond of the Appy, no matter his demeanor.

And Ian was also one of the finest wildlife photographers I've ever seen, We sat in front of his computer one night for a couple of hours with him just showing pictures he had taken, many with a short story to go with. It was a privilege.

Diamondhitch

AH legend
Reaction score
Website
www.diamondhitch.webs.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
Such a shame, my condolences.

no1waterdog

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Du .SCI and central wa. chapter
Hunted
New zealandand argentina,Canada,Tanzania eastern cape SA.Zimbabwa 14 states in the U.S.and soon in Mozambique
My prayers sent to his family.John

SlovakianHunter

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Slovakia, Czech Republic, Hungary, South Africa (Kalahari, Limpopo), Namibia, Zimbabwe 2x, Tansania, Austria, Kamchatka, Kazachstan, Canada B.C., Romania, Macedonia, Spain
Very sad news, my condolences to his family. Africa lost another great PH.

npm352

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Prayers for his family. Terrible situation.

dobber

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
a damn shame, thoughts go out to the family

Red Leg

Lifetime bronze benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Member of
SCI DSC life memberships / NRA Patron Life
Hunted
Mexico, Namibia, RSA, Germany, Austria, Argentina, Canada, Mozambique, Spain, US (15 states)
Also illustrates the enormous pressure these professionals are under. If he shoots the damn thing he is under immediate suspicion and presumed guilty of an unjustified shooting. Sounds like the game scout was likely "guarding" the client and wouldn't have been able to immediately clear him. And of course after 5 hrs of tracking the last thing he wanted to do was kill what was likely a trophy bull for his client. Just heartbreaking.

Brent in Az

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
USA - Az, NM, CO, MT, MN.
Wow. What a tragedy. I really hate to see the good guys out there getting killed, or injured by animals. I know it has to be a sad day for his friends and family. Best wishes to all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest profile posts

Damon Engel wrote on Saul's profile.
Hello! I noticed your E Type in your avatar. What year is it? I have a '69 that looks identical, minus the wire wheels. My car has the steel rims, as I understand it,a more expensive option, but I like the wire wheel much better!
pamtnman wrote on Timothy Doyle's profile.
Interested in the 450/400 dies. I have PayPal. Thank you
Hunt booked 2022
ve7poi wrote on ZANA BOTES SAFARI's profile.
See you in May 2022
twenty days with you time seems to have slowed now after booking lol
tarbe wrote on Royal27's profile.
Current ETA to Buc-ees is 11 am or we can meet you there about 2 hrs later in the way back.